R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-21-2007, 07:14 AM   #22411
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

just ran my car with a 13.5 setup yesterday...it was a tough go at it starting out. The car felt WAY pushy. I tried a couple of different things, but still nothing really helped, but once I figured out that I needed to put a bit of drag brake in the car to keep it from rolling (ie pushing) - i went the fastest I have ever been with my car....

make sure you use some drag brake in your car if you are using my setup. the car felt like a dump truck without it.....
Mr. McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #22412
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo View Post
just ran my car with a 13.5 setup yesterday...it was a tough go at it starting out. The car felt WAY pushy. I tried a couple of different things, but still nothing really helped, but once I figured out that I needed to put a bit of drag brake in the car to keep it from rolling (ie pushing) - i went the fastest I have ever been with my car....

make sure you use some drag brake in your car if you are using my setup. the car felt like a dump truck without it.....
Yeah, 13.5's and 10.5's have less cogging then a stock and 19T motor so they have less natural off power braking than the brushed motors. I find the drag brake setting on the LRP of around 3 or 4 is about right to get the same feel as a brushed motor.

The less you can get by using the better your corner speeds will be though.

I think BL 13.5 and 10.5 will require more mod type setups with more agressive steering. I also think stock racers may be faster using less grag brake and learing to use brakes on the trigger liek the mod guys do.

This is all stuff we will figure out over the next year when more people are racing BL.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #22413
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to adamliehr

Got to run up at the Gate last night with my mi3. Had a blast! Car was rather "nozey" though which made it easy to drive. I basically ran Goetz nats setup from the manual, with a few small changes (springs, body).

I feel like I have a great starting point right now, now I need some track time and some education on setup. LOL.

I wanted to thank Goetz for all of the help up there and Shawn/Schumacher for the opportunity to run!

Can't wait till next time!
adamliehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #22414
Tech Champion

I tipe gud!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #22415
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Went to Bending Corners in Orange Ca. yesterday and had a blast. I've only been running on road for about 2 months with the MI3. The car gets better every run with some help from Randy Caster and Pat See. I had one of my best race days every(including my 3 yrs. of off road). The first round I was a little slow but I started first and held everyone off for 4:30. As the day went on I gained about .5 sec. At the end of the day I was about .3 sec off the fastest driver whitch was Alan Hewitt. Congrats to him for an awsome race and winning Expert 19. Thanks to all that helped me.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #22416
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had read a while back about people running heatsinks and fans on there brushless in to keep it from over temping. What kind of cooling setups is everyone running? And any picks would be great also.
Thanks, Chris
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #22417
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamliehr View Post
Got to run up at the Gate last night with my mi3. Had a blast! Car was rather "nozey" though which made it easy to drive. I basically ran Goetz nats setup from the manual, with a few small changes (springs, body).

I feel like I have a great starting point right now, now I need some track time and some education on setup. LOL.

I wanted to thank Goetz for all of the help up there and Shawn/Schumacher for the opportunity to run!

Can't wait till next time!
Yep, Goetz nats setup is a pretty good starting point

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #22418
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris72983 View Post
I had read a while back about people running heatsinks and fans on there brushless in to keep it from over temping. What kind of cooling setups is everyone running? And any picks would be great also.
Thanks, Chris
If you are running 13.5 and 10.5 BL you dont even need a fan on the speedo.

If you are running open mod outdoors you are most likely running 5 cell as this has proven to be fastest. All you need is a fan on the speedo.

If you are running foam mod on carpet you most likely be running 6 cell and just a fan on the speedo id fine due to the lower indoor temps.

If you are running 6 cell outdoors you need a fan on the motor and speedo and you may still shut down the speedo if it is hot outside.

This is all if you are running LRP speedos and any brand motor.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #22419
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks, Chris
I just run a peltier cooler on it for about 10mins before a run (if the weather is warm), not long enough for condensation to build up inside the motor.

That's all, I dare not fit a heatsink as the car is overweight as it is.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #22420
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post

If you are running open mod outdoors you are most likely running 5 cell as this has proven to be fastest. All you need is a fan on the speedo.

If you are running foam mod on carpet you most likely be running 6 cell and just a fan on the speedo id fine due to the lower indoor temps.

If you are running 6 cell outdoors you need a fan on the motor and speedo and you may still shut down the speedo if it is hot outside.

FYI Adrian LRP speedo with Orion Vortex motor(3.5 with Lipo or 6 cell) fan only in esc no fan motor needed
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #22421
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post

Im running Novak 13.5 (sintered rotor) with LRP speedo, with 6 cell outdoors. Gear ratios mid to high 4's depending on the track layout. Speed control is tc spec with fan already on it. It dosent get to hot. Motor is running around 175. I havent had mine shut down, but one of my buddies did. I was just wondering if putting a fan on the motor might help?
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #22422
Tech Elite

Quote:
Im running Novak 13.5 (sintered rotor) with LRP speedo, with 6 cell outdoors. Gear ratios mid to high 4's depending on the track layout. Speed control is tc spec with fan already on it. It dosent get to hot. Motor is running around 175. I havent had mine shut down, but one of my buddies did. I was just wondering if putting a fan on the motor might help?
the lrp speedo will only shut down due to high temp on the speedo. the speedo does not care how hot the motor gets. so be careful.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #22423
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
I feel 175-degrees is a bit too hot. Try going down a tooth or 2 and if your laptimes stay the same, you're golden. Don't be surprised if you're faster

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #22424
Tech Elite

Couple of questions for the Fam

1. what's the benefir of sweeping thr front a-arms

2. steering swept aft vs swept fwd "ackerman"

Last edited by dawgmeat; 10-22-2007 at 12:49 PM.
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #22425
Tech Elite

I have the origonal arms on my MI3 and the wheels are rubbing on them really bad. Any suggestions?