R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-31-2002, 09:41 AM   #2191
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Talking Thanks!!!

Darkseid-Thanks for the good-eyes!!! I thought it was a typo!!!

I am still amazed that the Mission has such a great reputation for exceptional turn in with all that caster!!! Amazing.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 12:06 PM   #2192
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted By rayhuang. In theory, more caster (or less degrees of caster (i.e. 2 degrees > 4 degrees)) means a better turn in with a lessening of mid-turn and exit steering. On my XXXS and my TC3, the range I always used was between 2 and 5 degrees of total caster. And the difference was quite noticeable in that small range.
Actually you can obtain 0 degrees of caster on the mission. I have and others have accomplished it by removing some of the material off the back side of the camber mounts (I think that's what they call it). I believe the quote regarding the caster on Alex Lopex is accurate. Many of us have performed this mod to gain more traction in the middle of the corner. Hope this answers your question.
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:13 PM   #2193
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thats why I said... "unless he has done some other mod to the car". Now that I take a look at the actual hubs in the picture, they do appear to be pretty much straight up and down.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:29 PM   #2194
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

RBLove....I use Losi Shock shafts in my shocks the Gold nitrate ones and the Associated pistons fit them well you just need to enlarge the center hole some to make them fit.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 04:39 PM   #2195
Tech Champion

RCFeind is correct you can grind a little of the back side of the upper suspension mount and get less castor, but dont forget the std front arm has castor built into the arm where the piviot ball goes so it is less castor but not the same as if you have the rear arm in the front. I think that when you use the std front arm with the shaved upper mount the pivot ball is at a forward angle and binds in the suspension movement.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:04 PM   #2196
Tech Champion

Castor

One thing that you want to remember is that the Schumacher car does not use a C hub style front end that uses a castor block and steering hub. I think this is where the whole castor thing gets a little screwy . More castor or a greater number numerically will aide in middle or exit corner steering as well as making the car easy to drive off center.....meaning not being darty or super reactive. But with the way the suspension is on the car with the great amount of castor it has stock the car will have increased camber gain as the wheels turn into a corner and the suspension compress' which leads to loss of traction in the middle and exit of the corner. All this makes the car very easy to drive and give you a very contestant feeling car, but it will lack that little extra grip that is needed at times. Now what I have noticed when going to the lesser amount of castor is that the car still turns in well if not better now and keeps the same front traction through the whole corner. Also the car still keeps its stability that it had with the greater amount of castor. Hope this helps
Old 05-31-2002, 10:41 PM   #2197
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Kevin K
Scotty told me that next season the mod class will be running foams. You got a good basic foam setup? I want to pactice one of these Sundays and I might as well work on my mod setup as well.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:50 PM   #2198
Tech Initiate

Default Super Glue to the Rescue

My second race with the Mission was fantastic thanks to some super glue! In practice I tagged a corner of a board with my left rear wheel. This pulled the ball stud up through the lower arm, cracking the arm in the process. The turnbuckle threaded in to the upper arm was pushed back and broke out the back of the upper arm. Worse yet I had no spares. So I did what anyone would do, super glued it back together and ran it. Finished 2nd and 3rd in the heats and a close 3rd in the A main field of 8!! I did manage to get some testing in and found the car works best with the shocks in the #1 or lay down position with no sway bars and blues on all 4. I only have one area I need to work on. On decel making a sharp or hairpin I have some over steer. I am thinking or trying reds in the rear to help add some traction when the car starts to roll to one side. Anyone think this may help or have a better idea?
Damon_KJ7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:02 PM   #2199
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Man, you must have really tagged that corner! When I experience oversteer with my Schumachers, I just add a 1mm spacer to the front shocks. Raising the front slightly and taking away a little steering. Its always worked for me. Other options; firmer inserts(or tires) up front, more toe-in at rear.

But, if your losing traction as the car rolls, you might consider putting the sway bars back on. I ran mine last week without the sway bars. It was very nimble and reacted quickly, but it also had less predictability of when the rear would break free and lose traction.

At the races later today, I will try running Red fronts with Blue rears. Up till now I had been running Blue front with Grey rear. So I'll see how it does with the stiffer springs.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:40 AM   #2200
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sherman
Default Mission Setup

Hello,

I am thinking about trying 64pitch setup. Can you give me a good
starting setup for the spur and pinion gears? I race at So Cal raceway, and I am using the 17t pully. And I need a droop setup for the front and rear.

Thanks.

Sherman

At present I am using a 48p 84 spur and 28 pinion.
Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:16 AM   #2201
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to RC Raptor Send a message via Yahoo to RC Raptor
Thumbs up

AdrianM:

Thanks for the help Friday night! It made big diffrence I am starting to get some consistancy. Did you stick with the same setup and tyres and what motor and gear ratio were you guys using?

Also do you or anyone have a Oval set fot the Mission?
RC Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 12:08 PM   #2202
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Kevin K, Made the shock change. Was a LOT smoother and transitioned more smoothly. I ran #2's with 80 weight, but was a little to soft with even TC3 white's. Going to try #3's this weekend.....

Rob Love
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #2203
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin K RBLove....I use Losi Shock shafts in my shocks the Gold nitrate ones and the Associated pistons fit them well you just need to enlarge the center hole some to make them fit.
Kevin K which Losi shafts are you using, the stock ones or the shorts ones for the fronts?
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 04:26 PM   #2204
Tech Champion

RCfiend....They are the longer of the two for the xxx's I belive .36 if Im not mistaken.

Rob....Im glad you like the piston change. I running #2 and #3's on my car most of the time. Have you tried running the shocks on the outer hole on the arm yet? I tried it this weekend and it can run a softer spring and get the same feel as a stiff on but not the twitchy ness of the stiffer springs. You might want to give it a shot.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:41 PM   #2205
Tech Champion

Ottoman.....I have only really raced foams at very high grip tracks and I dont think that the setup that I would start with would be of any good for you. Maybe Rob Love can post his curent foam setup for us all and that might be a good place to start. Do you know is there practice at Trackside on sundays? If there is I will be making the trip up there for some foam tire practice more and more as all the tracks down here are all outdoor for the summer. Or maybe Paul Wynn can post his setup from snowbirds as I heard his car was very good there and it would be a place to start. Once I get back to foams I will be able to help you out more I did not keep too many setups that I ran on foams this winter.