R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2002, 10:34 AM   #2176
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Lightbulb Spring rates

Here are some more. I have all these springs, but not many Schumacher, so I am sure I'll be switching back and forth between brands.

Associated

Green-12
Silver-14.5
Blue-17.0
Gold-19.5
Red-22
Copper-25
Purple-30
Yellow-35
White-40

Losi

Silver-12.6
Blue-14.6
Green-17.5
Purple-20
Black-25

Wolfe has been saying for months on there website they are coming up with a TC3 Spring kit, which might be good for the Scumie as well!!

Last edited by rayhuang; 05-29-2002 at 10:42 AM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:04 PM   #2177
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

If you have access to PICCO springs they are good as well. True weight springs (not progressive)....
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:50 PM   #2178
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Ok, this is one nice car. I purchased a Mission a day before the Reedy Race, the car was awesome, but I wasn't. It took me a little longer than I expected to adjust to the car, also there were so many people at the track that they had long lines wrapped around the track for practice. Not making excuses or anything. Even though I didn't do all that great, I knew that when I left I would be going home to sell the Losi's and begin working on a better setup.

Now as I said this car has great potential, its fast and its super stable. I could predict what the car would do at every point on the track. I took the car to So Cal Monday to work on the setup and I experienced the same problem there that I had at the Reedy Race, the car was just to stuck in the corners. I used the same setup the team drivers were using, but the car was just to stuck in the corners. The only mod I didn't try was was the raised RC, I will try that next in conjunction with Kevin K's castor modification. I agree that the car has reactive castor. I went from running 11 degrees of castor to 6 degrees and the car seemed to have more traction throughout the entire turn. It's still lacking, I'm not disappointed at all. I haven't begun to play with all the adjustments the Mission has. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kevin K my setup is pretty close to yours.

Kevin K how do you like the associated #2 springs over the Schumacher ones. I also noticed that your comment regarding the Losi springs, are you still using Losi springs.

Man am I jazzed about this car.
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:53 PM   #2179
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

RCFiend.....do you mean Associated #2 pistons? Yes Im running Associated pistons in the shocks. Yes Im still runnin Losi springs I think they feel the best and work best.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #2180
Tech Champion

Also dont forget when you use the rear arms in the front you need to make new crash stops on the arm like you have on the stock ones or you will break axles in a crash. I made stops out of graphite and screwed them to the arms....its works better if you use the two holes that are on the back side of the arm. If you use just one screw it can be pulled through the arm in a crash.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:32 PM   #2181
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

I thought you guys might be interested in seeing my Mission since I brag onit so much...hehe

It might not win any National events, but it's fast to me...

Last edited by BigDogRacing; 05-29-2002 at 10:55 PM.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:45 AM   #2182
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

RCfiend:
If your car is stuck on corners the carpet upper deck might help you. This makes the car loose a little grip on corners, but actually carries more speed through the corner.
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:59 AM   #2183
Tech Champion

Default Rear arms in front!!

Kevin K, I have lots of CF laying around luckily to do that mod!!! Comes from destroying CF bumper barces on the Vector!!!

When you go to reduce caster by doing that modification, any other benefits/neagtives associated with it. Also-what is the #2 Associated piston closest to on the SHumacher adjustable piston, or more accurately, what makes it better than using the Schumacher piston?
Old 05-30-2002, 10:12 AM   #2184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default PURPLE ALUMINUM SCREWS!!!!!!

Just checking for interest.... Who would be interested in a Complete set of purple aluminum screws for the Mission??

When I say complete I just don't mean a 1 for one replacement, I mean a full set plus many extras of the main sizes used on the car, in a nice case with a 3mm tap so that you can tap all the holes and not worry about breaking a screw off in your car.

And all for an expected price of $31 shipped to your door within 3 days...... I am just checking on interest so e-mail me at My e-mail if you are interested, I will not really be making any profit on this, I just want to help my fellow racers get the parts they want at a reasonable price....... I will reply to your e-mails within 24 hours and with all details for you.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #2185
Tech Champion

Rayhuang.....the only real negative is that you can break an axle in a hard crash if you do not have the crash stop in the proper location. The positives is that the car seems to have more overall front traction through the complete corner now and changes direction very quickly and does not get out of control. Also when using rubber tires I do not go through fronts as much as I did before. I went to the Associated pistons because the stock vari pistons never really felt that good....some times they would bind in the body of the shock and other times when I would go from 1 to 2 holes open I could not even notice any difference at all. So I went and tried Associated, HPI and Losi pistons and I feel the Associated ones feel the best......HPI offers the most adjustably of the three but was hard to tell the change between the pistons. The Associated #2 piston would be closest to the 2 hole open on the vari piston but that's only because it has 2 holes like the Associated's do. Hope this helps
Old 05-30-2002, 03:27 PM   #2186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 230 (99%+)
Default Losi Greens

Anyone know the part number for the Losi Green springs?

I will be working on the rear arm modification for less graphite in the next couple of days. I will let you guys know how it goes.

This thread is awesome. Lots of great people helping eachother out is great.

THANKS!!!!
Old 05-31-2002, 12:26 AM   #2187
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

I haven't tried the arm swap mod, but have tried moving the std wishbone back which has a similar effect, didn't like it the car felt very unbalenced. Remember that you are also moving the weight forward.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 06:29 AM   #2188
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Kevin K, Did you just sand the piston down to size? Seems that the Associated piston is larger. Not in diameter, but thickness.

Rob
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:18 AM   #2189
Tech Champion

Default Caster revisited.

In theory, more caster (or less degrees of caster (i.e. 2 degrees > 4 degrees)) means a better turn in with a lessening of mid-turn and exit steering. On my XXXS and my TC3, the range I always used was between 2 and 5 degrees of total caster. And the difference was quite noticeable in that small range.

Do these same principles apply with the Mission?? And how is it that some of you are running ~8.5 degrees (Stock) and some are running ~0 degrees (Alex Lopez RC CAR Action)??? Am I crazy or is that not one HUGE amount of caster variance for set-ups? Or was Alex's set-up a typo???

Thanks,
Ray
Old 05-31-2002, 08:33 AM   #2190
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ray: actuallly the stock caster setting when building the Mission is 11 degrees.(2 washers at back) 8.5 degrees(one washer each side) is what many people have gone to. I don't even understand how Alex could be at 0 degrees, the minimum is 6 degrees!

Looking at the pic of his car, he has one washer on each side. He is also running the standard front suspension arms. So unless he has done some other mod to the car, I have to believe that is a misprint.