R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #21826
Tech Master
 
yokemad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,150
Default

what are the effects of high and lower diff. position
cheers
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #21827
Tech Regular
 
stegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ellesmere port Cheshire UK
Posts: 296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
hey guys, just build my diff up with the new diff rings and there seems to be a good 0.5-1mm slack between the outdrive and the diff ring! is this normal? is it a more snug fit when you use the non-notched outdrives?

also, after the diff was build there seemed to be a high spot somewhere, rebuilt the diff again and its still there any ideas what might be causing it?

All the best in vegas! whoever is fortunate enough to make the trip

any help appreciated
Boon, check to see if the circlip for the thrust bearing is sitting correctly
stegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #21828
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
what are the effects of high and lower diff. position
cheers
Usually, if you lower the diff, you'll get more traction on that end. I like to run a low front diff and high rear diff to gain more steering.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #21829
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
Sucks that you cant make it.. next year I guess!
Yeah, I'm planning on next year. Have fun.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #21830
Tech Master
 
Charles Godwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK (England)
Posts: 1,127
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Out of interest, what was your setup for the KO?
Sent you a PM with my set-up

Chaz
__________________
DXR | CML Distribution | Paint by Turnip Paint | TKRgraphics.com
Charles Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #21831
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,570
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to teammidget lilB
Default

Whats the height difference from front to rear on the roll center screw holes in the bulkhead??

Bryan
__________________
Bryan "Lil B" Ford

U.S. Army @ Camp Humphreys, South Korea
teammidget lilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #21832
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 270
Default

1mm
jimmy..maddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #21833
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,570
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to teammidget lilB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy..maddison View Post
1mm
So the front is 1mm lower than the rear right?? or the other way around
__________________
Bryan "Lil B" Ford

U.S. Army @ Camp Humphreys, South Korea
teammidget lilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #21834
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 270
Default

yea tharts right

for example

1mm front
2mm rear is level all round


thanks jimmy
jimmy..maddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #21835
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy..maddison View Post
yea tharts right

for example

1mm front
2mm rear is level all round


thanks jimmy
Well that certainly makes some of the set up sheets I've seen make a more sense.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #21836
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,315
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

The reasoning for the front lower mounting position (suspension mounts) in the front is for the exra clearance needed for the the steering rods
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #21837
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 323
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to adamliehr
Default

How are you guys doing in vegas?????


tear it up!
adamliehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #21838
Tech Champion
 
ROBORAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: JP Raceway
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT
Default

Hi PW/Randy/Schumacher guys .... have any of you used Orion 4800 Platinum Packs in your Mi3s? I just finished building mine up and although the hard cased 4800s do slot in easily under the bulkheads, i noticed two things:

1) with the battery terminals positioned toward the rear end of the kit (near the spur), and centering it between the two battery tape slots in the chassis, the terminal will be covered up by the rear bulkhead hence i wont be able to slot in the battery plugs from my esc lead wires. moving the terminals to the front end of the chassis is no good either as you'll have both the front bulkhead and the steering rack to contend with there.
2) if i try to push the packs more to the rear (actually having them jammed up against the rear bulkhead) then center it toward the center of the chassis just millimeters from hitting the belt, the terminal clears the bulkhead but the front end of the pack will not clear the steering rack and it will cover up the rear battery tape slot.

Need a little help with this. Dont really know how to solve this and im not too keen on buying new sets of packs after already inversting in a couple of Orion Platinums which work with no hitches in my type-r. Not too hot about griding down on the bulkheads as this would result in having to take away a good chunk of the material which is surely not a good thing. Was hoping that this wouldnt have been a problem given the mi3 was supposed to be deisigned with lipo (a main consideration for buying it), 5&6 cell racing in mind .... i hope they dint mean other LiPo packs except the Orion Hard cased 4800s.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll see if i can post pics later to explain this further but im at the office away from my gear.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
[YOKOMO BD7][REEDY RACING][TEAM ORION]
[Sanwa][LRP][Protoform]

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/

Last edited by ROBORAT; 09-26-2007 at 06:15 PM.
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #21839
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,175
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

From what i've heard and i dont know this for sure but isnt that one of the largest LiPo packs on the market? I've only seen the Core, and Max Amps pack in the MI3 and i've not seen a problem at all?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBORAT View Post
Hi PW/Randy/Schumacher guys .... have any of you used Orion 4800 Platinum Packs in your Mi3s? I just finished building mine up and although the hard cased 4800s do slot in easily under the bulkheads, i noticed two things:

1) with the battery terminals positioned toward the rear end of the kit (near the spur), and centering it between the two battery tape slots in the chassis, the terminal will be covered up by the rear bulkhead hence i wont be able to slot in the battery plugs from my esc lead wires. moving the terminals to the front end of the chassis is no good either as you'll have both the front bulkhead and the steering rack to contend with there.
2) if i try to push the packs more to the rear (actually having them jammed up against the rear bulkhead) then center it toward the center of the chassis just millimeters from hitting the belt, the terminal clears the bulkhead but the front end of the pack will not clear the steering rack and it will cover up the rear battery tape slot.

Need a little help with this. Dont really know how to solve this and im not too keen on buying new sets of packs after already inversting in a couple of Orion Platinums which work with no hitches in my type-r. Not too hot about griding down on the bulkheads as this would result in having to take away a good chunk of the material which is surely not a good thing. Was hoping that this wouldnt have been a problem given the mi3 was supposed to be deisigned with lipo (a main consideration for buying it), 5&6 cell racing in mind .... i hope they dint mean other LiPo packs except the Orion Hard cased 4800s.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll see if i can post pics later to explain this further but im at the office away from my gear.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #21840
Tech Champion
 
ROBORAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: JP Raceway
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT
Default

abailey: probably so but unfortunately these are the ones i use and have been very happy with them since i purchased them. I know about the Core packs and like that they come with a hard case and of cors max amps (soft packs) but im really looking at making what i currently have work first (if thats possible at all) rather than making a new purchase all together since unfortunately the rc funds are not unlimitted for me ... so any help would really be great .... offhand i was thinking moving the steering assembly forward one hole (which would change ackerman) but that would entail a different rack rod which unfortunately does not come in the box with the kit.
__________________
[YOKOMO BD7][REEDY RACING][TEAM ORION]
[Sanwa][LRP][Protoform]

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corner Dots anyone? RCGaryK Electric On-Road 19 07-03-2006 11:12 PM
On the Corner RC-HPI R/C Photography 0 08-02-2005 10:53 PM
Snowbirds Around the Corner scarecrow Florida Racing 20 01-27-2005 10:43 AM
1/12th Corner GT Racer Singapore R/C Racers 26 03-04-2004 06:59 AM
Shumacher Corner in Aus jamesbaxter_81 Australian Racing 6 01-08-2004 02:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:26 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net