R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2007, 04:26 AM   #21436
Tech Apprentice
 
Sam_Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK, Lincs
Posts: 78
Send a message via MSN to Sam_Smith
Default

I use black RPM ball cups and have no slop at all.

You could use the old trick of a plastc bag over the studs before you put the cups on
Sam_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:44 AM   #21437
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Aird View Post
Hi Skiddins

Jonny Dronfield told me it needed extra shims to keep the same set up, but after speaking to Phil Booth he said that they cannot be narrower, as the eccentrics for the diff wouldn't fit. So no extra shims are required.

Jonny
Hmm, I was told otherwise, but no matter, provided they work
At 100 for a set they better not bend too easliy!
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 AM   #21438
Tech Master
 
yokemad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,150
Default

@olev
I was also wondering how people measure them accurately and still wondering but car perform amazing on track so Maybe all that sloppy parts gives us an advantage
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 AM   #21439
Tech Rookie
 
boon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Hmm, I was told otherwise, but no matter, provided they work
At 100 for a set they better not bend too easliy!
eeeeekk
boon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #21440
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 352
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen
Default

Right, new parts have been ordered to see if I can get this behemoth (MI3) down in weight. Right now, in box stock form with a Parma Type M body, with a carbon wing on it, and 5 cells, weighs in at 1503 grams. Goal is close to 1400 grams (minimum is 1372 here).

I've so far ordered Titanium screws throughout, Ti pivot pin set, Ti turnbuckles, lightweight S9550 servo and lightweight Stratus 3 AP body.

That should bring her down a little at least.

Randy, since you're the one closely associated with Schumacher in this thread, do you know more about the lightweight bulkheads? Has there been more testing done?
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #21441
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,196
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
Right, new parts have been ordered to see if I can get this behemoth (MI3) down in weight. Right now, in box stock form with a Parma Type M body, with a carbon wing on it, and 5 cells, weighs in at 1503 grams. Goal is close to 1400 grams (minimum is 1372 here).

I've so far ordered Titanium screws throughout, Ti pivot pin set, Ti turnbuckles, lightweight S9550 servo and lightweight Stratus 3 AP body.

That should bring her down a little at least.

Randy, since you're the one closely associated with Schumacher in this thread, do you know more about the lightweight bulkheads? Has there been more testing done?

Give or take about one more month
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #21442
Tech Prophet
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 16,668
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
Randy, since you're the one closely associated with Schumacher in this thread, do you know more about the lightweight bulkheads? Has there been more testing done?
I'm hoping I can get a couple sets in time for the IIC, but they should be out soon after if not by then from what I understand.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #21443
Tech Prophet
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 16,668
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
@olev
I was also wondering how people measure them accurately and still wondering but car perform amazing on track so Maybe all that sloppy parts gives us an advantage
I guess in all honesty I dont measure them all that accurately. I just set my camber at what I'd want it to be at, then roll the car to check camber from various spots on the wheel incase the wheel is bent. I really dont think .5 degrees of camber will be the difference between winning the race and having a horrible raceday though.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #21444
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,449
Send a message via ICQ to MattW
Default

The bulkheads are lighter (25-30g) but not thinner as far as i'm aware. For ref, my car weighed in at 1420 with 5 cell at the weekend. I happened to be standing with one of the HB guys as we both weighed our cars - and his was 1450 - and he stood on the podium at our national!!!

It is fair to say that i have done a bit of work to get it to that weight. Titanium pins/turnbuckles/ball joints, Titanium/Alloy screws, L/W Mazda 6 shell (although i reverted to heavy later in the meeting). Electronics are LRP Sphere TC, GM motor, KO 302 reciever, KO full size servo.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #21445
Tech Rookie
 
Colin Price's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wrexham, N.Wales
Posts: 19
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
The bulkheads are lighter (25-30g) but not thinner as far as i'm aware. For ref, my car weighed in at 1420 with 5 cell at the weekend. I happened to be standing with one of the HB guys as we both weighed our cars - and his was 1450 - and he stood on the podium at our national!!!

It is fair to say that i have done a bit of work to get it to that weight. Titanium pins/turnbuckles/ball joints, Titanium/Alloy screws, L/W Mazda 6 shell (although i reverted to heavy later in the meeting). Electronics are LRP Sphere TC, GM motor, KO 302 reciever, KO full size servo.
And there are still some Schumacher parts left on the car.
Colin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #21446
Tech Prophet
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 16,668
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

I definately felt the difference in my car at the ROAR nats between mod and 19t. I was using the stock 6 cell chassis, front 5 cells for mod, 6 cells for stock. The mod car was definately more responsive, the 6 cell car was a bit more sluggish in the corners. I never really worried much about the weight of the car before that race, but after feeling the difference firsthand I try to get the weight down now.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #21447
Tech Initiate
 
Jonny Aird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bradford, UK
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
I definately felt the difference in my car at the ROAR nats between mod and 19t. I was using the stock 6 cell chassis, front 5 cells for mod, 6 cells for stock. The mod car was definately more responsive, the 6 cell car was a bit more sluggish in the corners. I never really worried much about the weight of the car before that race, but after feeling the difference firsthand I try to get the weight down now.
I was the same before I raced 5 cell. One of the guys at Schumacher UK explained the advantages of less weight. More corner speed, less tyre wear, more run time, faster acceleration and sometimes less heat.
__________________
XRAY | Hudy | Spektrum | Moorespeed | MB Models | Serpent |APE
Jonny Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #21448
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mongville
Posts: 6,974
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
The bulkheads are lighter (25-30g) but not thinner as far as i'm aware. For ref, my car weighed in at 1420 with 5 cell at the weekend. I happened to be standing with one of the HB guys as we both weighed our cars - and his was 1450 - and he stood on the podium at our national!!!

It is fair to say that i have done a bit of work to get it to that weight. Titanium pins/turnbuckles/ball joints, Titanium/Alloy screws, L/W Mazda 6 shell (although i reverted to heavy later in the meeting). Electronics are LRP Sphere TC, GM motor, KO 302 reciever, KO full size servo.
Was the 1420 with the LW Bulkheads?
you could swap out to a stubby servo this will shed about 20 grams.

But that is a bucket load of cash in order for the car to get to weight.

I was helping to build a mates MI3 last night, one thing i noticed was all the shims look like steel, if this is correct replacing with alloy would shed a ton of weight, add in the long steel screws, steel turnbuckles, and the steel balls, there should be a lot of room to make it lighter but it would cost the price of the kit in order to do it.
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #21449
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,350
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
I was helping to build a mates MI3 last night, one thing i noticed was all the shims look like steel.
The shims are hardened alloy.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #21450
Tech Master
 
yokemad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,150
Default

on the kit carpet setup it says 9mm Droop Is that a kind of printing error???
If somebody Share A good Carpet setup That would be great
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corner Dots anyone? RCGaryK Electric On-Road 19 07-03-2006 11:12 PM
On the Corner RC-HPI R/C Photography 0 08-02-2005 10:53 PM
Snowbirds Around the Corner scarecrow Florida Racing 20 01-27-2005 10:43 AM
1/12th Corner GT Racer Singapore R/C Racers 26 03-04-2004 06:59 AM
Shumacher Corner in Aus jamesbaxter_81 Australian Racing 6 01-08-2004 02:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:34 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net