R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2002, 03:39 AM   #2086
Tech Initiate

Jonski,

Have fun with the car it is incredible! I have been running Schuie's since the first Sedan at the 97 nationals. And the Mission is the best to date!

Have Fun!!
Phatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:13 AM   #2087
Tech Initiate

Default First Race with Mission

Well I ran my first race tonight with my Mission (fist electric 1/10 race in 8 years). I am very impressed at how well the car makes me look. I am a total hack and yet I managed to pull of TQ in a novice field of 12. I won both heats lapping most of the field. In the main I was running strong and in the lead about mid way when tragedy struck. I was rounding turn 1 on to the straight and the left front hub became disconnected form the lower A arm. I am running the aluminum hubs and I did not lock tight the set screws that hold in the ball stud (Oops!) Well next time. With the Sorex 36r's and Sorex type A med thick inserts, the car was hooked. I was running 15 laps and 14 sec. The stock guys are only running 16 lap pace. I think next week I will run stock and get out of the pile ups that occur in the novice class.

Last edited by Damon_KJ7E; 05-18-2002 at 08:42 AM.
Damon_KJ7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 06:26 AM   #2088
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)
Default TRACTION ROLLING!!!

Can anyone give a few tips to why I could be traction rolling. I am using the same tires that I ran on my Axis 2 and didn't have a problem with it. I would say that it starts to roll over at the apex of the turn.

Thanks,
Jon
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 07:03 AM   #2089
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Damon: Congrats on your first run

Jonski: Try less droop...stiffer springs...are you running on carpet or asphalt, rubber tires or foam?
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 07:31 AM   #2090
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

jonski: make sure you have your camber settings correct. With all the setup options the Mission has, sometimes the simple camber settings can be over looked.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:37 AM   #2091
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)

Racer X,

I am running on carpet with rubber tires. When you say less droop, do you mean in the rear or front and rear? Say with the springs?

Darkseid,
Should I go with more or less camber?

It's just weird, I didn't have this problem with the Axis 2 a few weeks ago in it's last run.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by jonski; 05-18-2002 at 07:40 AM.
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 07:49 AM   #2092
Regional Moderator

Jonski: well 1.5 all around or 1.5 front/2 rear should be good for just about any occasion. I simply meant to make sure that they aren't really off from a generally good starting point. I went out my first couple of runs with my front camber set at 3 each side! Simply because I was concentrating on setting up other stuff and forgot to set the front correctly.

If you've check it and its around 1.5 or 2, then you should be good in the camber department at least.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:36 AM   #2093
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Anyone have some suggestions for more rear end grip... off power rear end grip ?

Thanks
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:45 AM   #2094
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to RC Raptor Send a message via Yahoo to RC Raptor

spooky I got the same problem as you. I have tried softer tires, lowering the rear, changing camber. So I am searching to.

RC
RC Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:58 AM   #2095
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by spooky
Anyone have some suggestions for more rear end grip... off power rear end grip ?

Thanks
Try limiting the rear droop some more. IF your car is too loose off power it's transferring too much weight to the front when you let off. Reduce the droop in back and it won't transfer as much weight.

Trips
Old 05-18-2002, 10:18 AM   #2096
Regional Moderator

I had the same problem with off power rear end grip. For the most part I just adapted my driving style to it. But, if its really giving you fits, try adding a 1mm spacer to the front shocks. That will keep so much weight from shifting forward and give you more rear traction.

Or you can loosen up the rear diff slightly. Doing this pretty much solved my rear end being loose problem.

Or you can do both if your really having problems getting the rear end to stick.

Other solutions, run stiffer inserts in your forward tires. Or run firmer tires up front.

Theres lots of options.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:51 AM   #2097
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Thanks for the suggestions, I am gonna try the droop, and go from there. The setup that I am running was an experirment, this is the first one that I have run on the car that has made it so tail happy. Harder to drive, but is faster.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 08:35 PM   #2098
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Hey guys, I've been running outdoor lately prepairing for the Reedy Race (non-oneway/CS 27 premount setup) and I think I have hit a great setup for smooth asphalt with med to high bite. My car feels better now than when I was running oneways and my pick of race tires

Front:
Tower/#1
Arm/#1
Suspension mount/lower hole
Hub link/#1
Spring/Blue
Oil/40wt
Piston/1 hole vari
Raised Hingepin using EVO mounts(see Kevin Kane's earlier post)
Minimum castor
No swaybar
No oneway

Rear:
Tower(front tower on rear)/#1
Arm/#1
Suspension mount/lower hole
Hub link/#2
Spring/Red
Oil/45wt
Piston/1 hole vari
Long wheelbase (rear arm back)
1mm of anti-squat
No swaybar
2deg In-board Toe (would like to try 0deg with meduim wheelbase)
2.5deg per side

Other: Stiff top-plate, New Yokomo Stratus, 20 pulley, Schumacher springs

Good Luck......Paul W

Last edited by PW; 05-19-2002 at 07:42 AM.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 08:49 AM   #2099
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jonski: Less droop (the arms hang down less when you pick the car up) is the same as a larger number on the droop setting tools. Run less all the way around if you like your current setup. Stiffer springs will help too. If you can, you may just want to adjust the front since usually traction rolls are caused by the front end having too much traction. When the car enters a turn, momentum wants the car to continue straight, the front wheels want to make it turn, the traction combines the forces (lol). Hope that helps.
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 11:21 AM   #2100
Tech Adept

AE Racer,

Hi. In my honest opinion , the SST '99 pro is still one of the best cars out there. I bought one when new and I used it for my backup car, because they are from England and sometimes I have to wait a while for parts. Arms and hub carriers seem to be the weakness on that car, so I bought aluminum hub carriers and have a couple of extra sets of arms in the pit box.
As far as performance goes, it is pretty dialed out of the box. The best investment I made was the 64-pitch gear adaptor. Just to give you an idea, I gave this car to my brother when he got tired of fixing his Legends Car and he was a force to be reckoned with right away. The majority of the competition uses TC-3 and X-rays, which are very good cars in their own right, but I am a firm believer in it isn't how new the technology is, it is the way a car is set up and maintained. Besides, it's cool to take something that is now three years old and go kick butt with it. I think that they are every bit as good as a TC-3, Yokomo, hpi RS4 pro, X-ray, Axis, or even the Mission in the hands of someone whom can tune and drive a car at it's absolute limits.

The car now sits idle as a backup for my axis pro, which is also an excellent car. My brother now races mod 1/12 as do I, but that all but dries up in the summer time.

Anyhoo, there's my $.02 and then some.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote