R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #20296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1 View Post
Yang...
ya need to convince Larry to make some schui stuff...
Chubs...and bling steering knuckles...
hurry..hurry....
i talked to larry this past weekend. He is just swamped with "real" work right now. And in all actuallity, the front end on the shui is pretty strong. really the only part I have replaces is the inner hinge pins. if he made stuff for the shui, I think the pins would be even more prone to bending. i told him that what i would like to see is maybe rear hub carrier in different degrees. I found that I ran less toe outboard then I did inboard.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #20297
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
i talked to larry this past weekend. He is just swamped with "real" work right now. And in all actuallity, the front end on the shui is pretty strong. really the only part I have replaces is the inner hinge pins. if he made stuff for the shui, I think the pins would be even more prone to bending. i told him that what i would like to see is maybe rear hub carrier in different degrees. I found that I ran less toe outboard then I did inboard.
There is an alloy version of the rear hub available now which has 1 deg or rear toe built in.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #20298
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryHick View Post
O.K. Here goes. Has anyone else notice the amount of CVD chatter the MI3 has when you have the wheels off the ground turn full lock and apply a SMALL amount of throttle (I have glued the 2mm shims to the front hubs and correctly set my EPA)? I was wondering if anyone has a fix for this as it seems to develop a lot of vibration through the front end. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was doing the same thing on the track as well. This may also be accelerating the destruction of front drive shaft components. What I was wondering was has anyone tried any of the new track rod sets as I believe the problem maybe developing from excessive Ackerman effect creating a large slip angle on the inside wheel, making the CVD transmit through a larger angle and causing the vibration.
Other peoples thoughts, experiences?????

Andrew
I noticed this too when I first got the car. But once the car was on the ground, the chatter and vibration were gone.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #20299
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I noticed this too when I first got the car. But once the car was on the ground, the chatter and vibration were gone.
This is what mine did also, once the car was on the ground, it seemed fine.
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #20300
Regional Moderator

I plan on trying a diff in the front of the car for our outdoor asphalt race this weekend. I've been really happy with the PW set up I've been using. But I have to give the diff a try. If I can get it to work close to the spool set up, without the worry of breaking universals, then I'll be really happy. I've heard that running the front diff really tight, will give similar feel to the spool without the wear and tear, anyone tried this?

Any tips about alterations I may need to make to the PW set up? Or any other tips from anyone who has tried the car with a front diff, would be appreciated.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #20301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I plan on trying a diff in the front of the car for our outdoor asphalt race this weekend. I've been really happy with the PW set up I've been using. But I have to give the diff a try. If I can get it to work close to the spool set up, without the worry of breaking universals, then I'll be really happy. I've heard that running the front diff really tight, will give similar feel to the spool without the wear and tear, anyone tried this?

Any tips about alterations I may need to make to the PW set up? Or any other tips from anyone who has tried the car with a front diff, would be appreciated.
pm Mr. McGoo. He is has run both a diff and the spool in the car more than anyone I know (granted I know only him and Yang!)

We have been running the diff on low traction carpet and it really settles the car down, even when tightened as much as possible. Weve been having problems with the back end sliding all around and I think its safe to say the diff is the concensus, at least at our track. As easy as it is to remove I say try it! PLus, youre right, it is easier on the drive train. I sometimes get the hex ratating inside the wheel when I run the spool . . .never happened with the diff.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #20302
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

make a spool out of a diff, omitting the balls. it's a great solution that works as a slipper. adjust tension as appropriate to keep it locked on the track, while still slipping under heavy impact. you won't have to give up your pull in the corners to keep your cvd's for more than a week.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #20303
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
make a spool out of a diff, omitting the balls. it's a great solution that works as a slipper. adjust tension as appropriate to keep it locked on the track, while still slipping under heavy impact. you won't have to give up your pull in the corners to keep your cvd's for more than a week.
Hmm....interesting.

So just omit the balls? Keeping the rings in place?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #20304
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Glue sand paper or the heavy paper from parts bag header cards on the rings. This is how we always used to build spools. seanuts is right, it will slip a little in a hard impact. But make sure it's not too loose.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #20305
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys, when i made a spool before from a diff, i took the diff rings and balls out and cut a piece of cardboard same size at the diff rings, and placed the cardboard in the diff and tightened up. worked fine. but on both the MI2ec and Mi3 i have had no problems with spool or driveshafts (touch wood) only difference i use steel drive shafts in the front. might be worth giving them a try if you havent already.

Also just to make myself known, Im one of the Schumacher uk drivers, If i can be of any help at all, please ask

cheers

Jonny
Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #20306
Tech Addict

while we are on topic. Want to confirm that te mi3 spool will fit the EC. is that the case?
IslandBwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #20307
Regional Moderator

Island: I believe the answer to that would be yes.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #20308
Regional Moderator

Thanks for the answers about the diff/spool guys.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #20309
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny.dronfield View Post
Hi Guys, when i made a spool before from a diff, i took the diff rings and balls out and cut a piece of cardboard same size at the diff rings, and placed the cardboard in the diff and tightened up. worked fine. but on both the MI2ec and Mi3 i have had no problems with spool or driveshafts (touch wood) only difference i use steel drive shafts in the front. might be worth giving them a try if you havent already.

Also just to make myself known, Im one of the Schumacher uk drivers, If i can be of any help at all, please ask

cheers

Jonny
What's the pn for those steel driveshafts?
AWD
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #20310
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey guys how much lighter is the mi3 over the ec?
also how u like the new sphere tc version? any one thermall yet?
cheers, josh P
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote