R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-05-2002, 04:59 AM   #1996
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001

I was just wondering if any of you guys have experience on low traction asphalt outdoor tracks? I have to race a ta a track which is reasonably small but not incredibly tight bar two hairpins which are after longish straights. There are gas cars raced on this track also which can make it slippery but grip should come up a bit. I got the car going ok but just need overall more turn in. Just wondering if anyone has a setup for these conditions that works well.
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 07:41 AM   #1997
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If anyone is interested I have a spare set of purple aluminum bulkheads for sale (all 4) they include brand new screws, that have never been installed. I am letting them go for half price ($30 for all 4)

Check in the swap/sell forum or e-mail me at MY ADDRESS

Thanks,
Bradley A. Yeatts

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 08:18 AM   #1998
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jonnie: It could be lots of things and most of them are small. Most likely is the servo...is it a stock servo or something better and stronger? After that it could be the shocks (make sure they are all the same length and the oil feels good), car tweek, too tight of a screw on the steering link, or maybe the rear toe being off. Try checking those and LMK if that doesn't take care of the problem...
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 08:53 AM   #1999
Tech Initiate

Default Ti parts from schumacher

I have finished building my Mission (until I race it for the first time and brake it). I ordered the Ti screws, hinge pins, turnbuckles, pillow balls, pinions and shock shafts from Schumacher USA. The Ti parts are very good quality and combined there is a noticeable difference in weight. There are a few minor things to watch out for as to the packaging to the parts. There are five pillow balls that the head is too large, this leaves you with needing to reorder three new replacements, two long and one short to complete the car. The screws are just wonderful buy replacing the posi drive with a slandered 2mm hex drive. I had no problems using the slightly larger machined screws in all the plastic bits where self tapers once were. No problems with the pinions or turnbuckles. The hinge pins are not as polished and I had to file one as it was a bit too long in the lower rear. With all the ti parts I ordered the Keyence zero V extreme, WOW...!! I just purchased a P2K2 and was told to start running it around 7:1 final drive. All I need is a servo and I am going to try to make it to next Friday's race in Scottsdale. I hope AZ Ron will be there, I am going to need help setting the car up. If anyone has a good setup for a smaller track with a tight infield and one long strait thatís a bit on the loose side, I would be thankful. Damon
Damon_KJ7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:02 AM   #2000
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

If anyone is interested I am selling my SpeedMerchent Rev.3 12th scale car. 120 bucks takes it away.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:16 PM   #2001
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice I will try and set the camber and toe up propally as for the servo it is standard so I will have to beg steel and borrow the money as shocks are the highest on my prioraty as the car tends to wollow and at racing today several people said the standard ones I was using were to soft espiacally in the wet as I was getting no grip even with wet use tires on.
jonnieknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 05:08 PM   #2002
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default First race weekend with Mission

My first race weekend with the Mission went great.

At the local small track, I place high in the B-Main. Which considering they only took like four cars to the main isn't that bad. Its about where I usually finished with the Corally. If they took a normal number of cars for the main, I would have made the A-Main easily. I wouldn't have had a chance of winning.....but I would have made it!

Today, at the large local track though, things went amazing. Using a Fantom MVP that I couldn't do much with last year, and Losi Yellow LP tires, I went out and had amazing top end and acceleration with the Mission. I TQ'ed and won the A-main. Even with the fact that I was flipped and left behind three times by the same car within the first 1 and a half laps. I caught back up all three times and still managed to take the win. The best compliment of all though, was that some people actually questioned my motor. While I'm a consistent A-Main person at the local large tracks, I've never been fast enough for anyone to think I was cheating!

Man, I love this car.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:17 PM   #2003
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

awesome Darkseid!..sounds like youve been going great with the new car..

perhaps the efficiency of the missions drivtrain was helping your punch and top speed, alot of stock drivers have said the mission feels like a mild modified with a rebuildable stock..

**we have our state titles in 2 weeks, last chance for me to test this weekend. (this is the same event Oasis has posted about...(team mates)

I tested at the track on saturday, it is a fairly flowing layout, around the size of 2 netball courts, with 2 long straight aways, leading into 180 hairpins.
some sections have small ripple type bumps, but dont seem to upset the cars, the hairpins require good entry speed, from a top speed straight, and hard acceleration out of all of the corners.

The problem is a lack of grip, as they race gas cars on this track, which lay down oil, which leads to off power understeer, especially at high speeds,

I tested with and without the oneway, and prefered it without, as it allowed me to accelerate until the corner and brake hard to setup for the hairpin. People using the oneways seemed to average similar laptimes, but had to back off the throttle halfway down the straight to wash off enough speed to take the 180.

I ran:
blue springs, F+R
3 hole pistons, 50 weight oil, F+R
swaybars kit standard, F+R
4th hole on tower, F+R
inner holes on suspension arms, F+R
upper arms mounted in the 2nd hole (lower /angled)
middle wheel base front and rear
inboard toe, F+R

Take off 27, standard medium inserts
12X2 peak carrera, quasar brushes, 24 deg timing
geared at 6.45, using 20 tooth layshaft pulley

Does anyone have experience racing in these types of conditions, lack of grip due to gas car oil?...

I am thinking of trying grey springs, 40 weight oil, and firmer swaybars.
also considering using the 17 tooth pulley for better acceleration

my thoughts on the oneway seem to contradict what others were doing, even though laptimes were similar, I feel that under racing conditions, I would be able to pass other cars entering the hairpins, as they have to let off halfway down the straights meters before me, as I can brake!..

I would like to gain more entry corner speed whilst retaining 4wd if possible..
I have a good understanding of Tuning etc, but would like to get others feedback from their experiences in these conditions..
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 07:21 PM   #2004
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

to follow up on that, does anyone have a preferred tire to the takeoff 27's in these oily conditions...

I am pretty confident traction will improve for the event, as it is an electric only meeting!..

Cheers again..
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 08:29 PM   #2005
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by Oasis2001
I was just wondering if any of you guys have experience on low traction asphalt outdoor tracks? I have to race a ta a track which is reasonably small but not incredibly tight bar two hairpins which are after longish straights. There are gas cars raced on this track also which can make it slippery but grip should come up a bit. I got the car going ok but just need overall more turn in. Just wondering if anyone has a setup for these conditions that works well.
Oasis- you'll be glad to know that I have one. Before I go on, let me tell you guys something-

Today was my first day with the Mission and it was awesome. No, I didn't say it was OK, or that it had a lot of potential- IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!! I've been running my Yok SP's all this year and setting the lap record at every race in both mod and stock. (I'm not bragging- there aren't any sponsored drivers here...lol) SO to say that my Yok setups are good is an understatement. They've been great. However, I got a Mission from my buddy Sigearhead a couple weeks ago but haven't run it until today. I called Adrian at Scumacher (thanks for the help Adrian) and he put me on an asphalt setup. I ran it today with some preglued CS27's, amd it was soooooo freakin wicked! I'll put ut like this: I was scared to TOUCH the setup because I was afraid I would mess it up. I honestly can't imagine it being any better. It was carrying MAD corner speed. Well, I won't bore you anymore with my blabbering, but I still can't get over how well it carried corner speed. Now whewre did I put Paul Lemieux's phone number... I'm gonna invite him to Memphis to get schooled...lol...

Here is the basics:

front-
Yok silver
vari#3
4 downtravel
CS27's
middle arms
1.0 camber
2.0 inside toe
0 toe
#2 hole shock
inside hub top links
swaybar
no oneway

rear-
Yok pink
vari#3
downtravel 3
CS27s
arms back
camber 1.5
inside toe 0 degree
toe 2 degrees per side
shock #1hole
hub top links inside
no swaybar

basically the left set up in the manual with red/blue springs. The yok springs I used are very close to the Scuei red/blue so use red/blue if you have them. I had to use a bunch of spacers to make the Yok springs work....

Last edited by BigDogRacing; 05-05-2002 at 08:40 PM.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:54 PM   #2006
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to RC Raptor Send a message via Yahoo to RC Raptor

Way to go Darkside!!!
double ditto Big dog.

And I had some success on my first oval with the Mission

Last edited by RC Raptor; 05-05-2002 at 09:58 PM.
RC Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 02:54 AM   #2007
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

Schumacher sells brushes under their own name and call them 'Quasar'. These brushes seem to be extremely cheap too. Does anybody know what brushes are these? Are they something similar than Reedy's 'Quasar' or something entirely different?
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 06:47 AM   #2008
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

King-G/RC Raptor: thanks.

I remember the first thing I thought when I ran the car with this Fantom MVP, is that it felt like a Chameleon motor. I started the day with a new P2K2pro, but the huge, huge, huge track they set up, was perfect for the high RPM MVP. The car was nearly perfect.

Only thing I might change is, going to Red front/Blue rear springs. The car had a little too much body roll with the Blue front/Grey rear combo that I was running.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:49 AM   #2009
Tech Rookie

Hi guy's,
I raced at Hot Rod Hobbies in Saugaus CA yesterday. A few factory guys including Barry Baker showed up to practice for the worlds. Damn those guys are fast.

I placed 3rd in expert stock. Using the spacers inbetween the diff mounts and the shock towers to lower the car really seemed to help.
The Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:14 PM   #2010
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Jesse, so far as i am aware they are very "Similar". I think you can take it as read that they are probably the same brush. Bearing in mind that Fantom get use the same raw components as Reedy.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote