Okay, I have emerged from my kit building isolation.
My thoughts on the build...
Overall, not the worst build I've had, but far from the easiest
First the bad...
Dealing with the rear suspension arms is just plain ridiculous IMO. I believe I spent as much time reaming, filing, and fitting the rear arms, than I did on all the rest of the kit. The idea of making it tight and letting people get it 'perfect', just doesn't fly for me. After all that time working on those arms, they have no more/less play than my last car. And with that car, all I had to do was mount up the arms, and add shims till it was perfect. And 2 years of running hasn't left the suspension sloppy just because it didn't start off insanely tight. I guess I just like parts to fit right, right out of the box. Guess thats just the 'club racer' in me.
One hole on my spool was filled with aluminum shavings. These shavings left the hole nearly un passable by the screw. It took me working the screw in and out a couple times, spraying the hole out, and poking out the shavings with an allen wrench before the screw would finally pass.
On a similar note, both my Right Rear bulkhead and my Front Left bulkhead(when viewing the car from behind) had a hole for the shock tower that were very badly tapped. In both cases, the screw got about halfway through, then seized up. I had to VERY gently work them to get the in. I don't plan on taking those screws out.
Thats about it for the bad...so now for the good.
I have to admit, the shocks were quite impressive. I did have one renagade that built up with rebound for some reason. But other than have to redo that one shock, everything went smoothly. I've never seen anything like those shocks. Not to have to hold the shock shaft at just the right point while screwing the cap on was sweet!
The center pulley fence wasn't nearly as bad as my memory told me it used to be. Maybe I just had a better idea this time. Instead of breaking my little hobby vice try to put the fences on, I decided to put on part of a fence, clamp it in place with miny vice grip pliers, then I just snapped the rest of the fence on with another set of pliers. Rinse, wash, repeat for other fence. Simple.
Taking the diffs out is so easy its just ridiculous. I realized late that I had offset the spool out drives, and I was like "damn I gonna have to take this spool back out to change that". In the end, it took me about 2-3 minutes to make the change! Wow!
I guess the weight issues are just for the 5 cell users, because fully loaded with Lipo(weight added), my car still scaled in at 48.5 ounces with body. Not bad when your used to shaving weight off a TA05 just to get down to 52ounces.
Using battery tape isn't going to be as bad as I thought. I'll still pick up a battery strap just to see what I like best. I've never had a bad experience with battery straps. Never seemed to cause chassis problems as long as they were well designed.
I was shocked to see how flexable the main chassis was. While sanding it, I blew it off with my compressor, and it flexed!
But once all the bulkheads and upper deck were on, it was amazing to see how stiff it was! Incredible design work by Schumacher.
I seriously hope Futaba comes out with a micro reciever similar to the Spektrum unit. Space is tight with a none micro reciever. The limited space did force me to do my best wiring job ever though.
Seeing all the posible adjustments on the car has me really excited. My last car responded exactly as it was supposed to, to every change I made on it, even minor ones. It taught me A LOT about setting up a car. And I'm REALLY looking forward to applying that to the Mi3!
Anyway...I've rattled on enough. I've attached a pic of my finished Mi3. Hopefully the weather will give me a chance to race it this weekend. But in the midwest, you just never know.