Schumacher Corner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 12:41 AM
Tech Regular

Propably because they can be used on all surfaces.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

The last Schumacher car I bought (SST 2000) had a complete set (all weights) of springs included. Are you saying this is no longer the case? I certainly hope Schumacher is not getting cheap!
Old 04-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello everyone, I am new to this board and am new to Schumacher. I am going to order my Carbon Mission later today. This will be my first 1/10 car in over 8 years. If anyone has any suggestions on what are the most important hop-ups, and any thing to watch out for I would be grateful. AZ Ron may be able to help, any recommendations. I will be racing this car both stock and Mod at Scottsdale RC. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Good choice with the Schu. I have experience with several brands of cars and I think I have found the reason for the wide availability of parts for the others...their parts break. You may have to mail order parts for Schus depending on where you live, but I have found that there is less breakage (and believe me, I'm hard on cars!) with them without the need to be heavy.
As to hop ups, the car is plenty fast and wildly tunable, save some money and get to the track and practice, it is truly the only way to get fast. I see too many folks trying to buy speed (good for LHS owners) and not enough developing the skills required to pilot their rocket around the course, resulting in repair bills. See the cycle?

Good job Schumacher, keep up the quality product
Old 04-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree, driving skills are the most important and the one thing you can’t buy. However my driving skill are not the worst and I a nut for trick parts. I have been racing 1/8 Mugens for the past few years on and off road. I am sick of Nitro, not to mention the drive to Los Vegas or LA. I am selling off my 1/8 scale cars and am very much looking forward to 1/10 electric. I cant wait to finally have a car that does not take an hour just to get it to run with out stalling.

Last edited by Damon_KJ7E; 04-17-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Damon, I know how you feel!! The Mission is the first car I felt the urge to get all the trick parts for, not because I need them, but I know it will be mine for a long time to come. I would say definately get the threaded shock bodies and 2 sets of tuning springs. I also got the aluminum steering knuckles front and rear, full titanuim hingepin/ tie-rods, Stainless steel screws, and aluminum spur gear adaptor. I also have the the aluminum diff and layshaft mounts on order.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Now that's what I'm talking about. I like that list, but the aluminum steering knuckles I'm not so sure about. I don’t like to add unsprung weight. Is there much weight difference between the stock molded part and the aluminum. Must look trick through.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)
Default ABS for Axis 2

Anyone have an ABS unit for the Axis 2 that they are no longer needing since you are running a Mission now? I would be interested.

Anyone know which shaft has the right hole layout for the one-way pulley that you can lock out?

I bought my car used and it has the stock shaft on it, therefore I cannot lock out the one-way pulley.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 04-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Damon, there is so little weight difference it isn't even worth worrying about, actually they may be fractionally lighter. The aluminum steering knuckles also add another tuning option, the high-ball/ low-ball option which is on the lower pivot ball, and is also not threaded, but held in by a set-screw, and machined so that you don't have to do any measuring to make sure they are working properly. Not to mention that the new lower pivots fell stronger than the stockers. The only down fall is that the knuckles take away the inner mounting point on to and only allow you to use the in-line option, but the standard set-up is about the only one I have seen that uses the inner points, and to use the outer holes you have to grind down the knuckles thus eleminating the inner holes...LOL I must say after installing the rears with the high-ball option the car felt much more planted, and still had excellent steering!!
Old 04-18-2002, 01:49 AM
Tech Regular

Damon, most importantly get the screws. Then the one-way is a must. I think the plastic parts are ok and the aluminum offers mostly looks. If you race on carpet get the stiffer upper deck. The steel drive-shafts eliminate all bouncing in the corners. Oh, and certainly get the small plastic clips (two sets) that are used to adjust wheelbase and caster. Better wheel bearing and aluminum layshaft pulley should be considered when the originals don't look so good anymore.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Jesse- I don't wanna be a smart.... well, how comes when anyone asks for the best hop-ups, (not only Schuie, but almost every car) someone has to say "you gotta get the one-way". Personnally I don't have any tracks within 12 hours driving distance that require or even could be possible candidates for a one-way set-up. So a one-way would be $60 waisted to just take up space in the my pit-box!!!! Just an opinion, but cause you have a need for the one-way doesn't mean that everyone does. Agian just an opinion....
Old 04-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the Carbon Mission last night. I am really looking forward to taking it to the track. I think IMPACTPLAYR has it right (for me at least), the one way diff would be effective on a large open track with mod motors. I would not consider the track I will be running on large and open. I have talked to many of the locals and no one likes the one way for this track. F N NUKE, the bike is my Honda CBR900 at Willow Spings Raceway in CA.

Last edited by Damon_KJ7E; 04-18-2002 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Impact: I feel the same way as you do, just about another part. The threaded shocks. Everyone swears they are a must, but I still have yet to see the big deal. None of my Schumachers have had them, many of my other cars have.(2 Yoks, 2 Corally's) and I just don't see what the big deal is. I always ended up using clips to make sure they were set equally on both sides anyway.

After that, I have to admit, I can't 'feel' the effect of giving the collars on one side a half a turn. I just can't feel the difference of that 1/4mm that I gain from turning the collar.

So while I think the threaded shocks are a great option from the stand point of not having to keep up with those clips, they definitely aren't a neccesity.

F N Nuke: I too remember the original SST 2000 coming with a full set of springs. That would have been sweet if they kept doing that. But, they were trying to get their foot in the door of touring back then, so they had to throw in some extra frills! Thats not the case anymore, their one of the top companies in TC now. So now, why give the springs away, when you can sell them!
Old 04-18-2002, 08:16 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think the one-way would work great for the large track here. Problem is, the day before I go to the large track, I'll be racing at a really tight track. So swapping the oneway in and out would get old in a hurry.

Hey guys. On average, how long would you say it takes for you all to swap out your spur gear. You know, like if you really had to do it in a hurry?
Old 04-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default SRS

Hi Damon...I haven't upgraded to a Mission yet...I figure I'll beat the sh*t out of my Axis2's to get my driving skills up to Par before I order a Mission. I'm running Blue Springs all the way around, with 60wt oil, and 2 hole Pistons. Car handles better than I can drive it. You definitely DON'T need a One-way for SRS...I don't think ANYONE is running one...although there MAY be one guy...
The track is a little tough to get dialed in to, and track condition changes weekly...last week, it wasn't more than 3 seconds after Dave Sprayed the track than a dust storm came right through...most people were chasing there setup all night...
Are you planning on coming out tomorrow night (Friday)?
I'll be pitted back at the northeast corner of the track...I'm a big guy, and one of only two guys there running an Axis2...I just found another guy running one as I was walking by his pit last week.

L8R

Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.