R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2002, 09:24 PM   #1681
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know how much a Hudy Ultimate set-up board cost roughly. This one has everything droop guages-ride height guages-droop blocks-board-sticker etc....?????
Doggs_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 10:49 PM   #1682
Tech Apprentice

Hey all...what is the most drastic thing you can do to get traction? Even to the point of traction roll...

I am on a low-med traction carpet. Generally people are running sorex 20's and 25's...shocks layed down...5 or 6mm ride height.. stiffer up front (stiffer springs and thicker oil, 60+ usually) and softer in the rear ( green AE shocks, 40wt, etc)...this is the 'general' setup for all the TC's...Losi, AE, etc.

I can't get any traction with my Mission. I have the shocks layed down, soft springs and oil in the rear, the stock setup up front with 60 wt. I am using the right tires, I even borrowed someone elses and no luck. I am not even looking for that 'final little bit' of traction...I can't get nothing.

Any ideas?
_neas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 09:12 AM   #1683
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to gfoster

Neas.... when does your car loose tractin? I would say go eaven softer, softer generaly gives more traction I dont know your total set up but if your 100% sure your running the right tire and insert combo for that track then running a little softer should help also are you running any type of traction compound as this may alos aide in getting more traction
gfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 12:36 PM   #1684
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you loose traction when you let off the throttle or break then you may need more droop in the rear.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 02:15 PM   #1685
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kevin K - My vari's looked perfectly round, strange, any chance the little piece that you turn had some flashing or somthing forcing a side to buldge?

Dragonxmx - Use a dab of epoxy or jbweld to close one of the holes in the losi piston, or fill them all and drill your own holes that are perfectly across from each other to balance the fluid dynamics.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 02:24 PM   #1686
Tech Addict

_neas_ - stand your shocks up, laying down is taking traction away, run a oneway, run a bigger spur, add more camber if you are in the 1 degree area, take out some rear toe, run same oil all the way around for balance (use stiffer front spring to calm the front), add about 2.5 ounces of weight to the motor side (distribute evenly), run less droop (more travel), and listen to gfoster.

Old 03-28-2002, 03:24 PM   #1687
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Rc Files....That could have been the issue with the Vari Pistons but I tossed all my old ones I have some new ones in the package and I will put them together and check them out. What I have noticed is that with the Associated pistons the shocks feel more consistant.

_Neas_....I one of the tracks I race at is low to med bite carpet. I would suggest running the same spring all the way around maybe a stiffer one in the front if needed.....Losi reds or blues work well or stock reds and blues. I use the 2 and 3 holes on the towers and inline on the hubs. Also you would want to run Less camber(closer to Zero) for more traction and more rear Toe about 3deg at most. Try the same oil all the way around with a bigger or greater number of holes in the rear shocks. Also more droop all the way around. The One-way will give you more off power steering but if the car is loose off power then the normal diff would be better. Let the traction compound soak in longer if your not already like 15 to 30 minutes and do more of the rear tires. I hope some of this helps. I can send you a Setup sheet if you want to E-mail me at Kane@nightingale.com
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 12:00 AM   #1688
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys.

I spin-out if I let up on the power, but I can't stay on it either...in the sweeper it just drifts away from me...right into the wall.

I thought that having the shocks upright loosened the car more then laying them down?

As you can see I don't know alot of the basics I guess. Offroad stadium trucks arent this technical I am going to try to get to the track on saturday and put a good amount of time to it.

Assuming I got the right tires and inserts (its what everyone else is using) and only have the stock springs (I got AE springs...but they are really short..) what is the best oil wt to go with?

And droop, just to clarify, is how far the suspension falls when you lift up the car?

-s
Old 03-29-2002, 11:06 AM   #1689
Tech Addict

Do everything on this setup except the shocks, I would suggest that you run 50 weight all the way around and goto a 25 lbs spring in the front/ 20 lbs spring in the rear. If you still need more corner speed and you are not snap rolling goto 45 weight oil and 20 lbs spring in the front, 15 - 17 lbs spring in the rear. basically this is setup is the general setup to run, all you change is shocks. I own a carpet track and we have run every tire on the market and the Sorex 24r front and 20r rear are the fastest we have run, the pits are a very close second and have longer life span then sorex.

http://www.kinetixrc.com/images/snowbirdSetup.gif

Old 03-30-2002, 02:01 AM   #1690
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01
Thumbs up

Onroad Electric and Nitro "State Championships" May 4th @ Small Cars Unlimited.

Last edited by webspinner; 03-30-2002 at 02:24 AM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 04:47 AM   #1691
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001

Hi guys again.

having a great time in Australia with the Mission. We got a new driver down here which is awesome for setups and test days. lots of people driving Schumachers now so its quite cool!

Ive got the car absolutely flying. Took 6 seconds off the modified lap record and the car is just so fast. Its cornering fast and tight with plenty of rear grip. An unbelievable balanced car. Running mostly kit setup with 40wt oil. Might go to 45 wt oil to stop sides from hitting the ground. Oneway diff lower and inner arm holes all round. Im loving it

Oh im racing on med grip asphalt with rubber tires.

How low a wind can you go with the grey Ultralfex rear belt. We are going to try it with 12 turns on a smooth flowing track. Obviously tight tracks and low winds are a no no.
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 04:51 AM   #1692
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001

How many guys are using the 1 piece pistons also. I got some and my shocks are smoother but im used to running the vari piston 1 or 2 hole piston. the 1 piece pistons are a bit bigger. Are people doing anything to compensate?

Also alloy shock bottoms are great!
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #1693
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

I am running 2 hole stock pistons an the cars DIALED! I guess its just driver preferance. LOL
Old 03-30-2002, 08:15 PM   #1694
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I thought laying the shocks down gave more traction too. I believe I read it in rc car action??!!
Keepin' it real with my M11x
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 12:02 AM   #1695
Tech Apprentice

Well, I ran Ron's setup, minus some things.

-Shocks I used 60 up front/ 40 in back with the stock springs
-unhooked the rear sway.

It was SOOOO much better...very happy. I had a little bit of a loose end, but I controlled it, and could feel when it was going to go...I don't mind it all.

I was going to expermint more, but I broke a hub and didn't have spares...so I gotz to wait.

Some things I noticed, and maybe people have some suggestions,there is some body roll...having the rear sway help that? I am running P2K2Pro at 24/86 with the 20 tooth pulley and the motor seems to get way to hot. I was running a Spitfire stock motor with the same setup and it wasn't getting hot at all...is it just something with the P2K? My MVP used to get hot as well (not this hot however).

I have asked before, but what success have people had with 64p in stock racing? What is a good mid-point spur gear (and some pinions to move around it)?

thanks