Schumacher Corner

Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

thanks all, so its basically just ignore the letters
Old 01-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got a question about the risers on the EC
A lot of drivers are removing the gearbox risers and using either the std towers or the carpet towers but what advantages/disadvantages does this have when racing on carpet/tarmack using rubber tyres? I had a bit of success with the ec as it was bult out of the box but carrying out these modifications in the hopes of getting the car to go faster has left me chasing setups that work. Can someone explain this issue to me please?
Thanks

Paul
Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

To me, when I took out the risers and raised the front inner camber link location 2mm above stock and used the top hole on the rear tower (rubber towers) it made the car flow through the corners much faster but it still felt very stable and calm. It didn't get twitchy at all.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Can you recommend a good base setup for rubber tyre tarmac and carpet then please Jon. I need to work out if its me or the car and at this point i'm beginning to think its me!

Cheers
Paul
Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
To me, when I took out the risers and raised the front inner camber link location 2mm above stock and used the top hole on the rear tower (rubber towers) it made the car flow through the corners much faster but it still felt very stable and calm. It didn't get twitchy at all.
Would the equivalent to raising the front camber link up 2mm after removing risers (using the standard rubber shock towers) be to use the carpet towers?
As far as I can tell the only real difference between the carpet and rubber towers (other than more holes in the carpet versions) is the position of the camber link holes.

Skiddins
Old 01-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Mutley- For asphalt, I'd start with the kit setup, just remove the risers from under the bulkheads and between the motor/layshaft mounts and top deck. Then move the rear camber link to the top hole. Drill or slot the front camber link in the tower 2mm up to make up for the tower being 2mm lower from removing the risers. This is a good starting point. For rubber tires on carpet, try Weylin's setup from Vegas. There's a few little detail things he did on that car. Follow his setup sheet and that should be a good place to start.

Skiddins- I know a lot of guys have run the carpet towers with the risers removed. It will raise the camber link like you need, but it also moves it out a little bit. I haven't tried this myself but it is something that should work too.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Mutley- For asphalt, I'd start with the kit setup, just remove the risers from under the bulkheads and between the motor/layshaft mounts and top deck. Then move the rear camber link to the top hole. Drill or slot the front camber link in the tower 2mm up to make up for the tower being 2mm lower from removing the risers. This is a good starting point. For rubber tires on carpet, try Weylin's setup from Vegas. There's a few little detail things he did on that car. Follow his setup sheet and that should be a good place to start.

Skiddins- I know a lot of guys have run the carpet towers with the risers removed. It will raise the camber link like you need, but it also moves it out a little bit. I haven't tried this myself but it is something that should work too.
What's the advantage of the rear camber link being so low compared with the front?

Skiddins
Old 01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

I have the rear inner link as high as it will go without modifying things. I normally ran the rear link in the low position when I had the risers in. So lowering the bulkhead and raising the inner camber link should keep the link at the same angle. When you raise the inner link, that lowers the roll center on that end which gives that end more grip.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Jon, at least ill find out if there's something up with the car that I haven't spotted or if it's me now. Next club meet is on Thursday - I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers
Paul
Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have the rear inner link as high as it will go without modifying things. I normally ran the rear link in the low position when I had the risers in. So lowering the bulkhead and raising the inner camber link should keep the link at the same angle. When you raise the inner link, that lowers the roll center on that end which gives that end more grip.
What's up? Gotta keep in touch with my homies. I'll be heading to the track in a hour or so to enjoy the NWCC. Gotta rep norcal ya know...
Old 01-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Initiate

When you raise the inner link, that lowers the roll center on that end which gives that end more grip.
I have taken out the risers and fitted carpet towers, i run on the upper hole on the front and the lower on the rear, so what your saying is the front should have more grip because i have raised the link - which lowers the roll centre. if i were to to the same on the back i would essentially have more grip all round. correct?

Also what does moving the camber link out on the rear hub do? raise or lower the roll centre? i have mine on the inner. and what are the effects of this?

Thanks guys, i am only now starting to vaguely understand set-up and want to know what effects lowering and raising the roll centre are. and how i can use them on certain track conditions.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by matt_h
I have taken out the risers and fitted carpet towers, i run on the upper hole on the front and the lower on the rear, so what your saying is the front should have more grip because i have raised the link - which lowers the roll centre. if i were to to the same on the back i would essentially have more grip all round. correct?

Also what does moving the camber link out on the rear hub do? raise or lower the roll centre? i have mine on the inner. and what are the effects of this?

Thanks guys, i am only now starting to vaguely understand set-up and want to know what effects lowering and raising the roll centre are. and how i can use them on certain track conditions.
Yes, running the camber links like that should give more steering. If the rear is loose (remember, there's a big difference between having a lot of steering and the car being loose) you can raise the inner link to get more grip in the rear. Lengthening the camber link will also lower the roll center. Pretty much every setup I've seen has the outer link in the inner hole. I tried the outer hole in the hub one time and the car just felt odd so I haven't tried it since. I think changing the length of the link is a more drastic change in the roll center than changing the angle a little.

Basically, a lower roll center will allow that end of the car to roll more. Usually more roll = more grip (to an extent.) And usually a higher roll center will allow that end to roll less, keeping it flatter and yielding less grip. Try and keep the amount of roll balanced front to rear. You don't want the rear to stay too flat and have the front end dumping over or vice versa.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Chris Goetz- "seaball"- qualifies 3rd in stock foam at the Novak.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Chris Goetz- "seaball"- qualifies 3rd in stock foam at the Novak.
Its going to be a good race. Chris, Jim and Drew are all going the same speed.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey adrian,give me a buzz tommorow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.