R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2002, 03:49 PM   #1651
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Hummm I will check what I got and get back to you on that. I do remember that the Losi pistons had a lot of flashing still on the piston.....but Im sure that you would have removed any of that. Maybe when we did that the Gi Joe kung fu grip took over and took a little more of then needed. One problem that we did have is that the Vari's when assembled were not completely round. Have you noitced this aswell? Did you check them at more then one point on the piston when built?

Or it could just be the Physics in my pit are different then in yours
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:04 AM   #1652
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Dave K, thanks for that chart, but i'm sure it's not just me but the ratio/pully bit at the top looks the wrong way round........

Pistons, Generally i had always found the losi to be a little bigger than AE. I usually run the kit Vari though.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 05:34 AM   #1653
Tech Adept

Default Piston

We have not tried the Losi pistons yet but are planing to this weekend. I prefer the fit of these over the stock vari piston.
I have carefully removed the flashing from the standard pistons and lightly sanded off the edges on a lathe with 600 grit emery paper, they are fine after this. Still, I just don't like the way the holes line up in the different positions. In my opinion the holes in the moving part should be larger than the piston's for better precision.

Also, the inside bore of the stock Schumacher threaded shocks is not as smooth as I'd like.

Of the three pistons mentioned IMO the quality of the Losi pistons is by far the best. The fashing you sometimes get on them is on the centerline of the piston and easily scraped off with a sharp exacto knife without altering the profile. I just wish they had two holes instead of three.

I will be using the standard Losi shaft so that the c-clip grooves will match. They are about the same dia as the vari pistons. The Assc ones are smaller.

We'll see how this compares to the stock set-up
Dragonxmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:17 AM   #1654
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner
Default Gearing/Rollout/Sping Pit-Chart

Wow I've had alot of response to that post regarding the charts. Again, don't hesitate to ask and I'll send one to you guys. Your input is helpful and I'll add whatever you guys think might be helpful (within reason).

MattW - did i put the wrong internal ratio on the titles? I'll double-check that and re-send it to you if it needs fixing. What did you think of the chart other than that? helpful you think?
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:38 AM   #1655
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Dave, yeah i thnk it's very good. I would say that some rubber tyres differ in diameter than others, but you can refer to the foam section it this becomes any kind of issue.

The line goes something like "Internal ratio 1.8=17 tooth layshaft pully 2.12=20 tooth layshaft pully"
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #1656
Tech Adept

The chart looks great and is a good tool to have.

Thanks Dave
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 12:38 PM   #1657
Tech Apprentice

Default Chart

I would like a chart if you wouldn't mind.
thanks
-S
_neas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 07:02 AM   #1658
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Ok Guys, here we go...

Hi Guys...moment of truth...my buddy and I will be racing TC's for the first time tonight at SRS in Scottsdale. We both have Axis 2's that are setup identically with Adrians setup a while back for a loose/medium bit track. My buddy has raced every form of onroad there is, except TC...he a little worried about the car not handling...I've never run onroad at all, but am VERY much looking forward to it, as I've raced a bunch of other classes in the past 14 years.
Anyway, what I'm looking for, in a nutshell, it tuning hints...what adjustments affect what? I'm hoping Adrians setup will be close to what we need, but would like a few pointers on what to adjust in order if I need to...These things are WAY more adjustable than my offroad cars, and I don't want to get off in left field with the setup...ANY help/info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Ron
AZ_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 07:37 AM   #1659
Tech Addict

Default Another Question

Another thing I just though of...we're racing Stock class, 4 minute races...which pulley should be used on the A2?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 03-22-2002, 09:44 AM   #1660
Tech Addict

Default PDF Blank Setup Sheet

Hey all...anyone have a blank setup sheet in PDF format? I've got one in Word, but it doesn't show the location #'s...
I've got some filled out ones in PDF, but would really like to have a blank version with the diagrams of the shock tower holes, and all...if you have one, PLEASE email it to me...

Thanks!

Ron
zipper@extremezone.com
Old 03-22-2002, 09:48 AM   #1661
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner
Default Setup - The Neverending journey to seek complete comprehension

AZ_Ron - you ask the good but tough question. Unfortuanately there is not just 2 or 3 simple things that can make up for the adjustments on an RC touring car. Alot of racers tend to gravitate primarily towards Tires (Including inserts), springs, oil, shock angle, and camber. These are good starting points of things to learn and adjust. Once you get a pretty good idea of how those affect your car's handling in the real world, you can start messing with more advanced adjustments like roll center, camber change, castor, wheel base, ackerman, chassis flex, and the many other contributors to your car's handling. On many of the more advanced settings, I find that you start using a baseline (like Adrian's setup for example) and you adjust the more basic things first as they will show the most dramatic change in your car's handling in most cases. Also, only make ONE change at a time. So many people lose themselves in their cars because they change 4 or 5 different things and then they wonder why the car didn't react the way they thought it would. Or they don't see the effect of a particular change because the other 4 changes disguise the effect of the change that you want to learn and understand more.

Actually, the manual for the Mission has a good tuning guide that answers several parts of your question. If that is not enough, take a look at manuals for a couple other brands of TC's. Most companies include their perspective on the effects of changes. XRay, AE, and Losi have pretty good commentary in theirs as well.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:29 PM   #1662
Tech Addict

Default Friday Night

Well, My buddy and I went out last night and ran our Axis 2's against a field made up of mostly XXX-S's, and some TC3's...#1, I suck...first time ever racing onroad, so I was just happy to finish...
My buddy qualified 3rd in the B-main, or 8th out of 18 cars...We tired several different compounds, and had plenty of steering, but the rear end was very loose...he wound up putting the sway bar on the front, as we weren't using them at all, and the car is too easy to drive, as it pushes like crazy now...I wound up putting the sway bar on, and bringing the tops of the front shocks all the way in, ran Yokomo Medium tires/firm inserts on the front, and Pit Shimuzu 27's on the rear, and my car was a bit better than his...more steering, and only got loosed when you tried to get it loose... The fast guys are all running Sorex 32's with Firm A inserts, so I'm going to order up a couple of pairs of them on Monday, I'll put my front shocks back in #3 hole on top, and put on my rear sway bar, and see how that works...then we'll go from there...I drove one of the fast guys XXX-S's...man, NICE handling car...I'm hoping by playing enough, I can get our A2's to handle that well...
Anyone know if those new Ultra-Flex belts are available for the A2??

Later!

Ron
Old 03-23-2002, 01:53 PM   #1663
Tech Apprentice

Default ...before I give up on the whole thing...

I posted awhile back about a problem I was having with a clicking noise when I let up on the throttle, or when going in reverse.

While not a solution, I got an ESC that doesn't have reverse...which is better for racing..but the problem still exists. I didn't mess with it too much the past week, because I was waiting on the grey belts, when I got them in I took apart essentially the entire car and put it back together with the new belts...I thought doing that might allow the problem to work itself out.

It didnt

Basically it goes like this: when I give it throttle it accelrates fine but as I let up it makes this horrible clicking sound till the motor stops. It has made this sound through two motors and two speed controls, so I will rule them out.

Any ideas?
its not the batteries rubbing, or the mesh of the pinion spur, all the bearings involved are smooth, the diffs run smooth, the belts are new, no teeth are missing on the pulleys/diffs/spur/pinion...nothing seems to bind.

I have the alloy pulley on there, and I am going to dig up the stock one and see if that helps...

Also, how do I get 64p ratios from the stock numbers (84,24, I think)? I have the adapter, and want to rule out the stock spur and the pinion I am using...
_neas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:51 PM   #1664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ron- an on-road cars suspension adjustments are much like an off-roader, with a few exceptions mainly changes that effect jumping (unless you play heck with cornerdots). But most on-roaders have more adjustments than off-roaders, many of which you will never even touch.... some have too many adjustments, in which racers will site as an good feature, but will make the car even harder to tune, and keep in check (X-RAY).

I personally believe the TC3, XXX-S, and mission (just to name a few) have the right amount of adjustments to make them effective for old pro's, yet dangerious to inexperienced racers.

Being experienced with off-road cars, you should find on-roaders fairly easy to tune if you look at it as you where tuning your buggy.

Peersonally, I find that the chassis droop is one of the first things to look at, just after springs/oil, and tires, especially when traction (front or rear) is the problem and you have the proper tires.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:52 PM   #1665
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

neas- if the spur/pinion is the problem then switching to 64 oitch may make it worse, because to trash a 48 pitch gear that bad the mesh would have to be aweful, and 64 pitch gears are harder to set the mesh on. Have you check the tightness of your belts? what size pulley are you using? if the 17 tooth pulley is being used and the layshaft mounts are installed backwards then the rear belt will be too loose and cause this problem. Did it do this from the first time you used the car after building?

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote