R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   ta-05 steering vibration problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/359100-ta-05-steering-vibration-problem.html)

zarrath 01-10-2010 06:24 AM

ta-05 steering vibration problem

hi i buy tamiya ta05 chassis, i build it then i did the first ride yesterday. i noticed while driving a weird sound during the cornering. after that i started to investigate the reason of this sound. i noticed front right wheel are vibrate very much at high speeds (maybe after 25000 turn) and during cornering this create a weird sound. vibration also continue but less during straight run.(i check the vibration when the car is not on the ground-vibration continues)
also i noticed when i disassemble the wheels vibrating is gone
how can i solve that problem ?

(sorry for my bad english)

niznai 01-10-2010 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by zarrath (Post 6831576)
hi i buy tamiya ta05 chassis, i build it then i did the first ride yesterday. i noticed while driving a weird sound during the cornering. after that i started to investigate the reason of this sound. i noticed front right wheel are vibrate very much at high speeds (maybe after 25000 turn) and during cornering this create a weird sound. vibration also continue but less during straight run.(i check the vibration when the car is not on the ground-vibration continues)
also i noticed when i disassemble the wheels vibrating is gone
how can i solve that problem ?

(sorry for my bad english)

If the vibration goes away when you take the wheels off, I would check the wheels first. If they're not glued true, it is enough to induce the vibration you talk about.

Another source of vibration is the driveshaft dogbone wobble. If you used the kit supplied foams correctly the vibration should be minimal. To completely get rid of it you'd need to get some universals.

zarrath 01-10-2010 07:00 AM

i glued the all tires, also changed with the front left, rear left tires but result is the same. (also only with the rims that haven't got any tyre on it)
i will buy universal next week i hope this stop the problem. up to universals is there anyting to try for problem ?

niznai 01-10-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by zarrath (Post 6831680)
i glued the all tires, also changed with the front left, rear left tires but result is the same. (also only with the rims that haven't got any tyre on it)
i will buy universal next week i hope this stop the problem. up to universals is there anyting to try for problem ?

Did you put the car together yourself? Check the camber and droop to make sure your driveshafts are not pinched and are free to move back and forth.

Gluing the tires needs to be done right, otherwise the wheel will spin out of true (wobble).

zarrath 01-10-2010 11:18 AM

reglued the tires like in the nexus racing page

problem is not solved.

i built that kit yes, i checked the dogbones they cannot move in the cup,(put the red sponges like in the manual)

problem again continues
:(:confused:

can it be related with the belt tension ?

sammies 01-24-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by zarrath (Post 6832648)
reglued the tires like in the nexus racing page

problem is not solved.

i built that kit yes, i checked the dogbones they cannot move in the cup,(put the red sponges like in the manual)

problem again continues
:(:confused:

can it be related with the belt tension ?

I have the exact same problem... except that I am running the direct-drive, I have the universal shafts, and mine is the TA05 v2.

With wheels off, everything is fine and dandy... but once the wheels go on, and with wheels pointing either left or right (doesnt have to be at full lock), the vibration starts... it sounds even worse "krak krak krak"

When i run the differential or front one-way, the problem is not there.

can anyone please shed some light?

sosidge 01-25-2010 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by sammies (Post 6902840)
I have the exact same problem... except that I am running the direct-drive, I have the universal shafts, and mine is the TA05 v2.

With wheels off, everything is fine and dandy... but once the wheels go on, and with wheels pointing either left or right (doesnt have to be at full lock), the vibration starts... it sounds even worse "krak krak krak"

When i run the differential or front one-way, the problem is not there.

can anyone please shed some light?

Spools (Direct drive coupling in Tamiya-speak) cause chatter. Outside of fancy driveshafts, there is no solution for it. However, it does not affect the car on the track.

maxepower 01-25-2010 05:04 PM

Not so good vibrations!

I think the problem may be amplified if there is too much play in the universal joints ie the pins going through the axles should not have any excess movement in the holes. If so take them apart and try rotatinng the pins to the other two holes so they fit better. Make sure to use the ant-wear grease. I know this grease does tend to attract dirt but it does the trick. Last, I think the stock kit using dogbones were not designed for a spool. Your better off switching to the universals. Plus if your using the steel outdrives, switch to the plastic with the aluminum cover, this too will help eliminate the chatter!:nod:
Just my 2$

sammies 01-25-2010 05:27 PM

Thank you both for the replies.

There seem to be a similar problem on the TB03... the solution there was to use a shorter shaft... either 44 or 42mm... i cant remember.

Not to sure why length of shaft would have an effect on the 'chatter'... but i guess no harm trying out the 44mm to see what effect it has.

GCT69 01-25-2010 08:21 PM

use a spec r dcj, will reduced your clattering.