Wiki Posts
Search

TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwkride
Profile #2 has the reverse disabled on the Mongoose.

Have you checked any temps after running?
My bad. I forgot that. So the Mongoose has 4 Throttle profile choices vs. the Havoc which allows 3 BL profiles, including one to disable reverse, and 1 Brushed motor profile. Sorry

Temps have been great. At the 4.0 fdr running 5 minute sessions at wide open throttle and doing hard braking maneuvers to simulate a tight,technical course, motor temps have never gone above 130 and the esc is warm to the touch. The 16guage wiring handles it all with no sweat but i do plan on changing to 14g only because the 16g wires aren't quite long enough for my application and i currently have additional 2mm connectors attached to extend the motor wires and a splice in the positive batt cable. For mostly appearance sake, I'm just going to change them and use 14g.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Mongoose

FYI: I ran a Mongoose wired to my 21.5 Ballistic in my Tamiya F104 with no issues. In my opinion this is a great combo option were a small foot print and light weight at important.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 240Z
FYI: I ran a Mongoose wired to my 21.5 Ballistic in my Tamiya F104 with no issues. In my opinion this is a great combo option were a small foot print and light weight at important.
I can see that working pretty well, pan cars weigh so little and are so free they pull a lot less amps than a touring car.

Another question: What would be the brushless equivelent, in terms of power, to a silvercan motor? I thought the 25.5 would be a good match, but now it seems to me the silvercan is a little stronger.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Some people are saying the 21.5 is an alternative to Silver can. I know that seems to be popular with the F1 racers. I suppose with no timing , no boost that may seem right. Don't know what the difference might be in a touring chassis.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Some people are saying the 21.5 is an alternative to Silver can. I know that seems to be popular with the F1 racers. I suppose with no timing , no boost that may seem right. Don't know what the difference might be in a touring chassis.
kind of a diesel vs gas comparison. They both have about the same HP I guess. Silver can spins faster with proper break in when new, but 21.5 has more torque. Silver can is just like a box of chocolate, you never know exactly what you are going to get and it is guaranteed to go bad after a while. 21.5 just keep on going with consistent power.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BadSign
Hmm. The Mongoose might not work if the car is pulling more amps at a lower FDR- Any opinions on this NovakTwo?

Originally Posted by kwkride
As cool as it ran, I really don't think that changing the FDR to 4.0 would be a problem. I can try it Wednesday and let you know how it works.
Well I changed the FDR to 4.2 last night for a practice run.
After 10 minutes the ESC was only at 118f so I think the Mongoose is a perfect ESC for VTA.
I was more concerned about the motor being at 156f after the same session.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

NovakTwo, has Rob given any indication whether the Mongoose is being considered for approval yet ? Then again, maybe he needs to try it for himself first. Have to imagine he's busy with the Nats first.
I'll be using mine in true race conditions this coming Sunday for our club race day. I look forward to having the great brakes it offers.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Company Representative

I understand that he is planning to add it to the "approved" esc list. I imagine that he is busy with the upcoming Nationals. If any of you see that the Mongoose has been included, let me know. We want to combo the Mongoose with the SS Pro 25.5 and add this to both our store and our Dealer offering. Also, add both the new M version and the RMF Mongoose to our USVTA Store.

Originally Posted by Evoracer
NovakTwo, has Rob given any indication whether the Mongoose is being considered for approval yet ? Then again, maybe he needs to try it for himself first. Have to imagine he's busy with the Nats first.
I'll be using mine in true race conditions this coming Sunday for our club race day. I look forward to having the great brakes it offers.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just picked up a Mongoose to try here for our VTA We have load of 180 degree corners that the brakes would be much appreciated
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jdeadman
I just picked up a Mongoose to try here for our VTA We have load of 180 degree corners that the brakes would be much appreciated
Have you tried it yet at all ?? be curious to know your impressions and what settings you use. I've got the brakes at 7 and I know it slows down fast. I'll know if that's too much in race conditions by Sunday. Don't know if it's unique or not but I noticed something about the braking action. At max setting, the brakes come on hard but then relax pretty smoothly. It's like I was in a real car and was able to slowly let off the brake pedal to modulate pressure. What I'm expecting is that late corner braking will be great without any expected loss of rear traction. Almost like an ABS system. We'll see.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Yea I will not get a chance to put it in as I am keeping my GTB in for next week as we have a few big dogs at the race and I want to be consistent. I am almost the fastest right now there is only one faster from our regular group. But the next week I'll have some breathing room to test the little gem.

Now I am starting to look forward to taking these outside as the snow is melting very fast here and it gets time to look for a good parking lot.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

I was reading in the silver can thread, from what I can tell, the Tamiya silver cans are a little faster then the 25.5 brushless Novaks?

I've got a Novak RMF 25.5 brushless system coming on Monday, what is the optimum gears I need to make my HPI Sport go faster but not over heat the Novak ESC and motor?
I also will be running for a while 5000 MAH NIHM batteries until I can afford to make the LIPO jump.

I was at my local hobby shop the other day and he said that a few more people bought HPI SP2 Flux's and will run on the track.

I'm really doubting now I'll be able to talk him into a true VTA rules class so I'll need to be able to keep up with them with as some run HPI Fluxs and others run brushless T6's for what ever class they have.

At least I'll be running true VTA body bling, maybe I can convert some.

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CobraRman
I was reading in the silver can thread, from what I can tell, the Tamiya silver cans are a little faster then the 25.5 brushless Novaks?

I've got a Novak RMF 25.5 brushless system coming on Monday, what is the optimum gears I need to make my HPI Sport go faster but not over heat the Novak ESC and motor?
I also will be running for a while 5000 MAH NIHM batteries until I can afford to make the LIPO jump.

I was at my local hobby shop the other day and he said that a few more people bought HPI SP2 Flux's and will run on the track.

I'm really doubting now I'll be able to talk him into a true VTA rules class so I'll need to be able to keep up with them with as some run HPI Fluxs and others run brushless T6's for what ever class they have.

At least I'll be running true VTA body bling, maybe I can convert some.

Thanks,
Lynn

An 85/47 would give you 3.85 FDR We run here up in the high 4's so more like 87/40 for a 4.63 FDR
Old 03-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

I would like to know the advantages or disadvantages between the Havoc vs GTB 2 besides price.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

THE CLOCK IS TICKING......LETS GET IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

1000 LAPS OF PURE USVTA RACING ON A 95X50 INDOOR CARPET TRACK

PRIZES,TROPHIES, AND CASH TO BE GIVEN AWAY

TEAMS OF 3 BATTLE FOR THE ULTIMATE ENDURO RACE

SUNDAY MARCH 20TH AT THUNDER RC RACEWAY IN NASHVILLE TN

SPONSORS FROM AE,NOVAK,HPI,BOCA,USVTA,THUNDER RC,KRC

COME BRING YOUR BEST TEAM AND DRIVERS

CYA THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.thunderrcraceway.com/VINTAGE_TRANS11.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.