R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Overdrive

What does overdrive mean? i dont understand it at all. Is 2.0 overdrive the best?
draga95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Overdrive is generally speaking any gear that multiplies the input to deliver the output. For example in your road car, say gears one to four would transfer power to the wheels such that the wheels spin slower than the engine. Top gear (or fifth) would then be an overdrive which would transfer the power such that the wheels spin faster than the engine. An overdriven wheel then has power transmitted mostly as speed rather than torque. In this light then your question needs to be qualified in relation to what you're trying to achieve: speed or torque? If you want a tractor puller then overdrive is out of the question. If you want a speed monster then you need as much revs to the wheel as possible. Whether the overdrive ratio needs to be 2 or 5 or whatever depends on many other variables (motor power, wheel size, car weight, etc.).

In conclusion, you need to tell us more or research more and refine your question before an answer can be hammered out.
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well in RC, overdrive means that one axle has different fdr than other one. I belive it's mostly used in offroad and I haven't seen anyone using overdrive in TC.
Pavel Balint
| Schumacher racing-cars.com | RCSGraphicWorx.co.uk | Cat K1 | Cougar SV2 & SVR |
Schumacher cars build videos http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9780E62C20A0EC4F
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I think it is used quite regularly for drifters. In drifting overdrive means that the rear wheels spin faster than the front wheels, i.e. the rear wheels are 'overdriven'.

The way to do it is to change either the rear diff pulley to one with less teeth or increase the teeth on the layshaft pulley.

The number you refer to seems to be the amount of overdrive between the front and back, so 2.0 might mean that the rear wheels turn twice as fast as the front. I am no drifter but my guess is that with 2.0 overdrive the car will be wild and uncontrollable, I would guess a small overdrive is best.

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote