Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP SXX StockSpec ESC

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got the same issues as you Johnny Wishbone.
Mines happening with an X12 13.5

I made a video of it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltvtb4snkqU

My friend got his SXX SS a week before mine, connected to an X12 13.5 as well and it works fine. No issues what-so-ever. Run the same futaba FASST receiver too.

Be nice to see some support from LRP regarding this.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Wondering what class, motor type (17.5) and brand people that are not having issues with, are running? I'm also wondering if this could be a sensor board issue, possibly the rotor has to be closer to the board for it to work correctly.
17.5 Tekin Redline @ 0deg = no cogging
Feel = 4
Boost = 8
FDR = 6.48

I would however like a little more top speed down the straight. Temps are ~170 so I'm not really sure if I have any options for top speed at this point. I was thinking of Boost = 9 and upping the FDR to ~7, but I assume this will get even hotter?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ckloo
Hi there all rc lovers,

Wanna ask anyone out there tested before this LRP SXX STOCK SPEC with LRP X12 VECTOR Modified 5.5T Brushless Motor ? Does it will damage the esc ???
may be not, cause the limit of the esc is 4.0/4.5 if im not mistaken but dont make it overgear or so ever .....
Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default cogging

Hi all..Some motors do like the SXX some dont..
Ive found the Orions/Novak ballistic in 17.5 works well....Nemissis/Duo2 no good.
In 10.5..Novak/duo 2 very good...Nemissis, Speed passion v3, Orion..not too good..
Tried settings, gears, FDR....so it seems that you will need some extra motors to find the better ones..Is it a massed produced products problem or a specific problem regarding motors/software? Will need to find out..
I have found that Im 2 gears up on the SXX as to the SPX....Brakes on the SXX are not as good as the SPX....Have to add +75% expo on brake to work..but still not as good as the SPX.
Come on LRP...lift your game...Like the speed of the SXX but not the brakes...Still its better than a tekin..A tekin in stock 17.5 is still better/faster, with the same amount of brakes....In 10.5...need more time..
But..Its an easy sytem to use, no computer so i will plod along and find out..
Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I should post my findings from racing last night. I ran an SXX Stock Spec for the first time and it was very different to what I have seen before.

I ran the SXX with an X12 10.5 using 2 dot timing. When using this speedie the gearing needs to be run much shorter. I finished up on 9.4:1 using feel on 5 and boost on 7. The motor was coming off the track at around 85 degrees but this is about right for an X12 motor (they usually run hotter than other makes). It was a little quicker than the guys using the X12 with the Tekin I think.

I thought I should post this becuase earlier in the night when the gearing was set shorter I was having issues with Lunging... The long gearing cased the car to become a little Jerky. I would suggest you all try shortening your gear ratio's.

Jordan
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

yes light gearing seems to work with the sxx ss.

I initially had mine at 5.0, but kept going up and up and ended up on 8.0 fdr. My tekin on the other hand is currently at 6.5

as regards to motors, I have had no issues with mk3 with
sp v2 10.5
novak ss 17.5

with mk2, I had less cogging whcn changed from spektrum to KO.

and I have no problems with the brakes. When switching from tekin to sxx ss on the same gear, I need to turn my brake epa down more.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default Newbie question - SXX 80900 vs SXX Stockspec 90850

I'm just getting back into RC after a few years off and am running an LRP X-12 17.5 stock motor on a B4 with an SXX (LRP #80900). I still suck at driving compared to where i was 3 years ago, so I am just feeling out my new track (OCRC in HB, Cali) and have my settings pretty conservative (1,1,0,2). I see that stock racing has changed ALOT since the brushed motor days and I have a question for you guys (which might have been asked and answered but its' late and I didn't see it in the posts I just browsed).

The SXX Stockspec and the Tekin, if I understand it right, have the capability to advance the timing of the motor so it is almost like running a mod motor.

What is the different between that and me simply going up to a higher power profile on my SXX, changing my motors plastic timing insert or changing gearing? (I have mine geared at 31/72). I feel like I'm still pretty fast at my conservative settings and after 20 or 30 min on my battery (a Thunder Power 5200mah 50C), my temp is about 145 (I have heard 160 is optimal). What is the magic that the SXX stock-spec does? I think from doing some reading, my ESC is more for mod class, but right now, my driving is what is holding me back, not my speed or power, but I know as i get better, those other things come more into play.

Fundamentally, I think stock racing should have a rule against advancing the timing of any motor by any route. It seems to blur the line big-time between stock and mod racing. I thought the whole point of stock racing was to give everyone a level playing field and then let the skill of the driver and their car tuning capabilities shine. I know speed and power are not the only factor and that someone with the fastest car will get schooled if they don't know how to harness it, but I would hope that other people agree that power/speed wise there should be an equal playing field.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default Correction on my last post - I mean 80900 vs 80910 (not 80950)

Correction to the subject header in my last post.

Looking on AE's site, I was referring to the 80910, (not the 80950 which is essentially my 80900 ESC with a fan glued on top of it).

I am trying to figure out what special thing the 80910 does that my 80900 cant do. What make it boost a stock motor in a way mine can't? Me confused.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Does mk3 flash lights in neutral on profile 1? The new ROAR ESC spec rules indicate that it does... or will. If so, does feel and boost need to be at 1? If not, does it mean another software update?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Does mk3 flash lights in neutral on profile 1? The new ROAR ESC spec rules indicate that it does... or will. If so, does feel and boost need to be at 1? If not, does it mean another software update?
From the manual
"Advise: if value #0 is choosen for Mode.3 the blue LED will flash in neutral position in normal operation to indicate that entire timing advancement is disabled completely!"
Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lycan

My friend got his SXX SS a week before mine, connected to an X12 13.5 as well and it works fine. No issues what-so-ever. Run the same futaba FASST receiver too.

I was watching the video. The sensor wire was not plugged in?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ESC wont operate without a sensor wire.
Just flashes an error code.
ESC has been sent back to AE for repair/replacement.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone

Wondering what class, motor type (17.5) and brand people that are not having issues with, are running? I'm also wondering if this could be a sensor board issue, possibly the rotor has to be closer to the board for it to work correctly.
Medium small size technical asphalt track......17.5 EA tuned Trinity,10 deg can timing ,feel 3 boost 9,7.27 FDR...safe temps(80 TO 90 C) and IT keeps up with Tekins but IMHO the SXX IS smoother to drive.I also have a Tekin 203

I had a similar issue (very slight gogging off the line and mid range) with a Novac Balistic 17.5 ,the trick for me to cure this was to retard the can timing and play with the feel and boost in opposite directions.Example:The cogging was worse with high feel settings (5/6) combined with low'ish boost (6/7)..Dropping the feel to 3 and raising the boost to 9 and gear it to rev higher cured the prob,this also increased the rip and top end but also lowered the temp .Im prety sure having too much can timing with feel/punch confuses the sensors in the lower rpm range?.Keeping the can timing low and let the speedo do the advance seems to work for me ..hope this helps you some?

Les

Last edited by lesbaldry; 05-06-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Default Cogging.

Originally Posted by Lycan

Hi buddy..not sure,, but free reving aint too good for ANY brushless motor..Are you sure that you havnt killed the motor?
I have found that some motors will work and some wont..
My opinion..
Mike
Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Default +1

Originally Posted by JordanC
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I should post my findings from racing last night. I ran an SXX Stock Spec for the first time and it was very different to what I have seen before.

I ran the SXX with an X12 10.5 using 2 dot timing. When using this speedie the gearing needs to be run much shorter. I finished up on 9.4:1 using feel on 5 and boost on 7. The motor was coming off the track at around 85 degrees but this is about right for an X12 motor (they usually run hotter than other makes). It was a little quicker than the guys using the X12 with the Tekin I think.

I thought I should post this becuase earlier in the night when the gearing was set shorter I was having issues with Lunging... The long gearing cased the car to become a little Jerky. I would suggest you all try shortening your gear ratio's.

Jordan
+1....As i have found with ALL makes of motors...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.