Wiki Posts
Search

LRP SXX StockSpec ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
And if you are going to be running a motor that hot you shouldn't be running this speedo anyways. Are you trying to launch your car to the moon??

What is wrong with the moon, aim high I say

Have a KO BMC for Mod, but the question is more aimed at 12th scale.

With SXX ss duel BEC system not having to run a battery or the like to get 6v to the rx. I don't want to use a second ESC to run a motor as low as 4.5 or 4 that removes the advantage of this ESC.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

ok so i have this cogging effect when revved on the bench is this ok or do i send it back. Not got a chance to put it down on a track untill the weekend to check it. let me know guys cheers
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Burney
ok so i have this cogging effect when revved on the bench is this ok or do i send it back. Not got a chance to put it down on a track untill the weekend to check it. let me know guys cheers
Just give them a try on the track first... LRP didnt design the speedo to be rev on the bench... they designed it to be raced on the track where there is load involve... Dont be so quick to send it back to LRP...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

yes it should be ok when you put it on the track
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Burney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggers View Post
Hi,
I need advice before I return my SXX StockSpec back to LRP for repair
Just purchased and installed my StockSpec with a X12 13.5. When bench testing with no pinion connected, seems like the motor has interference and 'splutters' through the rev range to full power. Tried a SP 13.5 V3 motor and the same happened. Sorry to say, but reconnected by existing ESC and the motor ripped !

I've heard of the issues with the 1st batch (which seems I may have ) but I've also heard that this may be the normal charactoristics of the StockSpec when running the motor with no load.

If anyone has had the same experience or can shine any light on what the exact production issue is on the first batch released, then it will help me understand if my ESC is faulty or just how it is ?

Cheers,
Jason

Mine did same thing - returned it to shop after 2 qualifiers. I was later told that there was issue with installing firmware (can't say it's right reason or not).
Schumacher Cat SX | Schumacher MI4 and Mi4LP || XFactory X6^2
on shelf Losi XX4 | Losi XXX-CR | Anderson MB4

Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Tech Addict

To explain the differences and the slight stutter when testing on the bench...

First of all it's not recommended with any brushless speedo and/or motor to let it rev that high at no load on the bench. I know this is popular and common but it clearly is not good for your equipment.
Luckily we still don't race on bench either but on track...

Anyhow, some guys discovered small stuttering not only on bench but also on track, while other guys were/are completely satisfied. As we prefer to make all our customers happy of course we worked on a further software update after Snowbirds race, which is ready since last week.
So all the speedos shipped since end of last week are the most recent software, which we call "MkII" which solves the stuttering completely. So if you didn't receive your speedo yet, it's very likely you'll get "MkII" already as not many with 1st batch software had been shipped/sold anyway.

Now you'll certainly ask yourself, how do I know which software version I got? This is quite easy, please proceed as following:
- with everything installed (motor must be connected properly!) and set-up to your radio.
- turn on speed-control and listen to the initial beeping.
- with "MkII" software: you hear two short beeps
- with 1st batch software: you hear no beeps at all.

If you got 1st batch software and would like to get it updated, please speak either to your countries LRP distributor (in USA it's Associated) or you can also contact me directly at LRP in Germany. We're able to do a firmware update but the speed-control needs to be sent in for the update so far as no update on your end is possible at this stage.

I hope this clarifies things for you guys.
Clearly the MkII solves everything but I would like to repeat that many guys also had no issues whatsoever with 1st batch software.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Addict

Reto,
Thanks for clarifying this in public. This is how all companies should communicate with its customers when there are issues.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Which is better? LRP SXX Stock Spec vs LRP SXX TC Spec? What's the main difference that creates an edge of one ESC over the other?

These ESC are stated to be sensored. Can they run sensorless?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

burito, I recently ordered one of these. Not sure if it was the first batch or not. It was from Superior which was the onsite hobby shop for Snowbirds. Does the speed control need to be updated regardless if it doesn't have the latest firmware or just if you are getting the stuttering? My concern is that since I don't know what causes the error (say its the receiver you use) it might work for me initially and then down the road begin to not work? Or is it just some kind of corruption that either exists or doesn't?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burito
To explain the differences and the slight stutter when testing on the bench...

First of all it's not recommended with any brushless speedo and/or motor to let it rev that high at no load on the bench. I know this is popular and common but it clearly is not good for your equipment.
Luckily we still don't race on bench either but on track...

Anyhow, some guys discovered small stuttering not only on bench but also on track, while other guys were/are completely satisfied. As we prefer to make all our customers happy of course we worked on a further software update after Snowbirds race, which is ready since last week.
So all the speedos shipped since end of last week are the most recent software, which we call "MkII" which solves the stuttering completely. So if you didn't receive your speedo yet, it's very likely you'll get "MkII" already as not many with 1st batch software had been shipped/sold anyway.

Now you'll certainly ask yourself, how do I know which software version I got? This is quite easy, please proceed as following:
- with everything installed (motor must be connected properly!) and set-up to your radio.
- turn on speed-control and listen to the initial beeping.
- with "MkII" software: you hear two short beeps
- with 1st batch software: you hear no beeps at all.

If you got 1st batch software and would like to get it updated, please speak either to your countries LRP distributor (in USA it's Associated) or you can also contact me directly at LRP in Germany. We're able to do a firmware update but the speed-control needs to be sent in for the update so far as no update on your end is possible at this stage.

I hope this clarifies things for you guys.
Clearly the MkII solves everything but I would like to repeat that many guys also had no issues whatsoever with 1st batch software.
Thanks. Now though, the question is what can we expect in terms of added performance. I find it frustrating that I have found no mention of this new ESC being able to perform on par with its competitors. Have there been no successful tests? I have been loyal to LRP for a very long time and want to continue this, but I hate to be let down again as I was with my two SPX's. Come someone give us some real world info on the performance gains if any.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Didn't they place well at Snowbirds? Several podium finishes?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 10.5 TC setup

Hi Guys

I'm in need of a starting point with regard to profiles and gearing for 10.5running rubber TC indoors on carpet approx 80' straight. - I'm hopefully picking up my ss at a club meeting tonight!

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Now though, the question is what can we expect in terms of added performance. I find it frustrating that I have found no mention of this new ESC being able to perform on par with its competitors. Have there been no successful tests?
this is a subjective comment, but ciccarello's 13.5 rubber car looked like a modified this past weekend. there's no doubt in my mind that this is up to par with v203 in 13.5. he was running laps .3 faster than i was. a month ago at the negs race, he, hebert, and myself were the same speed when they were running the spx.

(afterward, he let me run his car... and i looked like a complete a**hole, it was so fast).
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Thanks. Now though, the question is what can we expect in terms of added performance. I find it frustrating that I have found no mention of this new ESC being able to perform on par with its competitors. Have there been no successful tests? I have been loyal to LRP for a very long time and want to continue this, but I hate to be let down again as I was with my two SPX's. Come someone give us some real world info on the performance gains if any.
Drew Ellis ran them at the birds in all his cars and was fast. Joe Trandell ran them in his cars and he almost won 12th 17.5 (probably most competitive class there) and Chicky was fast with his in all classes as well. I think the main reason you didnt hear a lot about them is quite a few people bought them and were waiting to put them in and heard of a few guys having stuttering problems and returned them to the shop. Those that did run them really liked them. I also ran one in my TC and tested in my 12th scale as well. It was too late in the week to run it in my 12th scale the whole time as I didnt have time to figure the gearing out. But in TC it had the best throttle response and feel of all the speedo's I tried (Tekin, AE, LRP).

EA
Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

For mod sedan 2s lipo, is it best to run the SXX TC Spec or will the SXX Stock Spec be fine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.