Community
Wiki Posts
Search

700.00 budget. Which on road car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 700.00 budget. Which on road car?

I have a 700.00 budget to start with for an on road car. It will be my first. I have no intention of racing at this time. I am looking mainly to zip around the parking lots and only on asphalt. I have been racing rc for years but only off road. I have always wanted an on road car and the time has come. Any help is appreciated. Just looking for honesty.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Here's a great chassis for zipping around parking lots, tons of flex so it will get great traction.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ic-Touring-Car
Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

TB03 would be a good choice too. Sealed shaft drive will keep maintenance to a minimum. Plus if the surface you're running on has any pebbles you won't have to worry about destroying belts or pulleys. It's a decent chassis too, so if you want to try on road racing you won't be floundering absurdly. It's not going to be as fast as the Xray, but it will be better for just messing around with.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You guys aren't kidding with shaft-driven cars for applications with a higher chance of debris...

Even on a very well-kept track, a very clean asphalt, chunks of tire makes its way into the drivetrain.

Since most on-road cars are like a vacuum once it's running, a shaft-driven ones are very ideal for outdoor parking lot stuff...

I've been reading a lot about people still racing their TC3... Seems like people prefer those over the TC4...

But the TB-03 is a great alternative. Just remember to get the -R version so you don't have to spend a fortune to get those hopup parts that the -R version comes with...
Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

A top racer at our club selling this. Incredable deal!!!! And exc cond

pm wild_bill if you are interested. He can Also throw in all of the top is the line electronics and make it ready to run.:

Team Losi Jrxs Type R in good condition. Losi Steel lipo tray. Flying fox layshaft only used two race days also have PRS spur adapter. New set of four Jaco Prizm Magenta and double pink NIP also a set of each used but in good shape. New DNA 2 body uncut and unpainted. Tons!!! of spare parts NIP plus alot of used parts. Overall condition of car is good shape and well maintained. No Chips in any carbon fiber and never been off the track. $275 !Reduced! $250 or b/o
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

It's a bit nonsensical to ask what to buy for bashing. You can bash anything, you don't need advice.

Here's some advice though. Save your money. Buy an el cheapo crapola to bash and keep the cash for when you want to get serious. You will need it.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=niznai;6814204]It's a bit nonsensical to ask what to buy for bashing. You can bash anything, you don't need advice.

I have to totally disagree with you. If I didnt need the advice I wouldnt have come here and asked in a forum, where there are all walks of hobby lovers from newbie to pros. I already got some good advice as belt driven to shaft driven. I was looking to buy a car along the lines of a TC5 but would have encountered problems later with possibilities of debris breaking belts. It may have sounded like a noob question but it was an honest one. I know NOTHING about road/touring cars and thats why I asked for the advice. I am not looking for a Walmart car or I would have bashed with something along those lines. I am looking for something of higher quality that can also be upgraded. There are so many manufacturers out there so how do you choose for the right one?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Pickup a Tamiya DF03-RA chassis. It's a rally car and is perfect for the asphalt bashing you'll be doing.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58417
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

go for TAMIYA TB03.. great chassis to race ALL AROUND!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I thought your question was totally valid that's why I answered it. I could see that you were an experienced racer just looking to get out of the dirt every now and then.

I will say that with your budget I recommend getting a competitive platform even if your just gonna start out by playing around with it, because you never know you being a racer and all you might start racing on road before you know it.

Shaft cars to check out
TC3
TC4
HPI Pro4
Tamiya TB-03

Belt cars to check out
Associated TC5
Xray T2 007, 008, T2r (r is for rubber as is EU)

Many people run belt cars on asphalt without issues, you could just as easily get a rock in your spur gear on a shaft car, it happens.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58331

Great car, great price and still has tons of hop up parts available.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Many people run belt cars on asphalt without issues, you could just as easily get a rock in your spur gear on a shaft car, it happens.
A spur gear is way easier and cheaper to replace than a belt.

By the way you mentioned that you wanted something that can be upgraded. The best way to upgrade any of the above cars is to trade them for a T3, a Photon, or a Tamiya 416x. If you have a $700 budget is that for radio and all or just the kit. I would say make sure you have a great radio first. Seven hundred bucks is over kill for parking lot bashing, and likely inadequate for racing.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Losi XXX-S Encased Belt you wont get debris.
Incase you never like XXX-S for onroad, you can turn it into a buggy/truggy
Most hobby stores can get their hands on losi parts. they're not awfully expensive.

the XXX-S is competitive if you want to go serious.

You mentioned you raced offroad before, have you gotten a decent radio yet ?

What i would do is get a car that feels nice to your driving.
But in bashing really any car will do. Its the "for later" part.

DF-03RA is nice too if you dont like it you can convert it to a DF-03 Buggy for ofroad also.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the positive responses so far. I already have a radio. I use Airtronics M11 for my off road and can program this for on road. I also have a brand new DX3R that I traded a truck for and has never been open. I also have alot of electronics but dont believe I can incorporate them into any road car so I may have to start from scratch and dont have a problem purchasing what I need. Thats what makes it fun anyway.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

well, if you know the fun of racing already, you will probably end up racing on road too. If that is the case, I would get something good from the start. I say the TOP racing Photon is the best bang for the buck now. Lots of domestic support and relatively cheap for a CF chassis. I like to "do it right the first time".

Other than that, I highly recommend the TB03. It will handle up to 13.5 no problem. You will need some hopups before you start, and the "R" version is not out for it yet. Check out the TB03 thread for more details if you are interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.