Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 On road Car... Which one????? 4 Parking lot fun... >

1/10 On road Car... Which one????? 4 Parking lot fun...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 On road Car... Which one????? 4 Parking lot fun...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default 1/10 On road Car... Which one????? 4 Parking lot fun...

Hey,
I mostly race 1/10 scale 2wd off road, however, been toooo busy with recently getting married to spend days at the track so I am looking for a cheap 1/10 scale on road car to drive around the local parking lot.

I am looking for something on the cheaper side (as much under $300 as possible), however, I want something durable and that is capable of withstanding high speeds and rigorous driving.

preferably belt drive
able to put in a lipo hard case
brushless powerful motor
etc...

Thinking about a Tamiya Mini Cooper, not sure how that will fit my needs or a Tamiya TT-01E Kit?? Definitely looking for a kit though, so nothing RTR and definitely electric as it is much cheaper and easier to maintain IMO.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello
Try the tamiya M04L VW Kit.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

its discontinued, anyone have any other input?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Onetrade
its discontinued, anyone have any other input?
It's discontinued but you could still buy them from many places. Also spare parts are readily available too since it uses the same chassis parts as other M03, M04 cars. Since you have experience with 2WD the M04 would be perfect for your driving skills. Bodies for the M04 is limited though so if you want more of a standard touring car size able to fit many different bodies then you may want to look at something else.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Onetrade
...local parking lot.

preferably belt drive
able to put in a lipo hard case
brushless powerful motor
Thinking about a Tamiya Mini Cooper, not sure how that will fit my needs or a Tamiya TT-01E Kit??
"local parking lot", so belt drive may not be the way to go. Possible issues with small stones/grit ruining pullies & gears.
TT01E is OK, NOT a serious racer but almost indestructable. TB03 is better.
TA05 even better: but I had issues with TA05 & grit ruining the gears,often.
M03 is alot of fun, M04 is much harder to drive. Better to get a TT01 than M04 (Ive had all 3, still using the M03)

M04/M03 really cant cope with more than a 9T Brushless, and have gearing limits.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

One thing to consider is that with a belt drive, you run the risk of having more drive line problems on unprepared parking lots/tracks. If you think that you want a strictly parking lot racer, you may be happier with a shaft driven system. The drive line on shaft drive cars tend to do better in parking lot style driving, that is not to say that belt driven cars can be used or successful just another option to consider.

Depending on what type of brushless you want to drop in you can have torque steer issues with shaft drive cars, you dont necessariy have the problem with belt driven cars.

As for recommendations

Belt Drive:
1. Xray T2R pro
2. Tamiya TA05
3. Atomic M Chassis if you are looking at 1/10 mini cars
Shaft Drive:
1. TC4 Team/FT
2. Tamiya TB03
3. Tamiya TT01
4. ABC Genetic 1/10 mini chassis

Some of the decisions on the car you want are going to be intertwined with the gear you want to run with it. LIPO hardcase for instance, not all hardcase lipos can or will fit in all cars.

Just like with offroad parts availability is going to be big factor in your decision. Good luck.