1/12 questions

Old 03-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Default 1/12 questions

A new indoor carpet track has just opened in my area and I am thinking about getting an electric car (I have been racing nitro for a few years and really enjoy it but this indoor track looks too good not to run) I am leaning towards a 1/12 car but still looking at 1/10 tc also (especially the xray evo2). I guess my first question is what are the best options currently for 1/12 cars and why is this car in your opinion a good choice. Also what are good esc choices (I have heard the new lrp quantum2 is good)
and how are these cars on the foam tires on carpet, how long does a set of foams usually last you(like how many race day(s))
Oh and how do you set up the front suspension? can I set it up on my 1/10 hudy set up stuff?
I am sorry to post this on a new thread but the 1/12 thread is awfully long and was hoping to get up to speed quickly and it would take me quite a while to wade through the whole 1/12 thread.
Thank you very much to all who participate
SB
Old 03-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'd look at an AE RC12L3 or the Yokomo YRX12. Both are very similar cars and easier to setup then the Trinity cars....
I have the earlier version of the YRX12, the 2001 Special (has black carbon fibre as opposed to SSG) and find it a very fast car...
Old 03-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Or wait till the new AE 12L4 is released....
Old 03-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Above all I'd recommend reading some of the previous posts in the 1/12 forum....
Old 03-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Read about the last 100 posts or so on the 1/12th scale forum.

Better yet, go to your local track and see what they are running and what you'd like.

If you buy something like the Yok 1/12th and no-one else has it, setup help and spares are going to be harder to come by (luckily 1/12th cars are mostly interchangable).

We can give you recommendations but the local racers is where you'll get the most help.

Blake
Old 03-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you
rccarracer
do you have any idea about how long before the new associated car comes out?
What's tire wear like with these 1/12 cars
Old 03-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Dr
my lhs heavily support Associated, corally, and xrays, not sure about yoks though
Old 03-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

If you're going to go for a 1/10th scale touring car, you can't go wrong with an XRay if you don't mind spending the $$.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

I don't like spending the $$
but I have learned that doing it right the first time is usually
much cheaper, especially in matters related to rc racing products.
Thank you for the info DR
Old 03-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Whatever you do, listen to the guy who said check out and see what everyone in your track runs. I recently got into 1/12 scale and picked up a CRC Carpet Knife V3.1 Red edition and since EVERYONE I race with has the same car its came in REAAAALY handy. Almost all of them have been racing for years and years so they have literally hundreds of spare parts, good setup advice and more. That alone has made the owning the car a very enjoyable experience.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh, and if you decide to go into 1/10th scale the X Ray is worth every penny.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Kawada 300m

You might want to take a look at the Kawada 1/12th 300m cars .A couple of drivers around were i live have them and they go great and parts can be ordered from www.kawadaracing.com .They easily compete with ANY other 1/12th chassie out there and its a great way to go if you want something other than being stuck with associated,crc and trinity!
The kawada site for the 300m section does not have they parts listed yet (still under construction) just e-mail them.
I have other Kawada tc and i like them a lot,just giving another choice .
laz...
Old 03-12-2004, 03:43 AM
Tech Addict

Default TC or 1/12?

If you can't decide between the two, I will add my $.02.

1/12 Pan car, small, needs 4 cells, FAST, quick, and takes time to learn to drive. Easy to maintain INEXPENSIVE. You will go through bodies and tires more than anything else. Pan cars do not break as easily or have near as many parts. I have a CRC Carpet knife (no T bar) and a 12L3. I like the carpet knife, both drive similar, its more of a personal preferance than "which is faster". 8 minute races.

Touring car, 6 cells, Lots of things to break, harder on electric motors, easier to drive. 5 minute races.

At our local track, 6 cell touring cars and 4 cell 1/12 have about the same lap times with good drivers. You can see which I prefer.

No matter what you do, HAVE FUN!
David Root
Old 03-12-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you
David Root
Psbarger
lazarus
David: I really am leaning towards the 1/12, especially for the reasons you listed, less maintenance, longer run times, cheaper to maintain. I have been racing nitro touring for a while and I REALLY REALLY enjoy it, but with the addition of this new carpet track in my area I figured I would give electric a go. If anything I believe that the 1/12 would also really improve my driving. Also what esc do you recomend?
Thank you again all , and as said before just have fun
SB
Old 03-12-2004, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would really suggest waiting until after the carpet nats (like 3 weeks) when the Speedmerchant Rev. 4 is going to be coming out. It has no t-bar like the AE, Trinity, Kawada cars so there is really nothing to break (it uses turnbuckles and springs instead of a flexable peice of plastic to both hold the rear pod to the main chassis and to provide a rear suspenion). check out www.teamspeedmerchant.com and go under kits and then rev. 3 to see why the whole concept of a "links"/ mono ball rear end is both easier to maintian and more consistant and user error free.

And as far as parts, almost all 12th scales have an AE front and rear end,its just the carbon fiber slabs that make them different, this is true for the Speedmerchant, CRC, Kawada (trinity's rear axle at least), so finding parts really isnt an issue, and all of the companies have a really good online store set up. And the only things you will ever really break or need replacing are standard AE parts, like arms or bearings and balls to rebuild the diff, otherwise nothing really breaks on a 12th scale except for cars that have t-bars, the t-bar is the weaklink and if you hit a board it can either break or tweak (and if it tweaks you are going to have an ill-handling car and you wont know why)