Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid
let me get this right...

You guys are using

Associate side springs
HPI middle springs

What about the front springs?
Assocaited side springs for more options at the moment. HPI middle springs dont fit the Xray shock. Have to run the Hotbodies shock for that.

For front springs the Gold Xray's are around a .019 spring. They do not collapse as quickly as the AE springs but are a bit more progressive. I actually ran long 10th scale .020's on my car at the birds. The long springs do not collaspe and also are right in between the short .018 and .020's on initial compression but are .020's after the first tick of travel.

EA
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default XII LINK

Hey guys, I am trying to setup the car using the Hudy tweak system.
The car come back flat on one side but not on the other... is that ok???
And whats the right way of doing it on the setup system.
Cheers
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Assocaited side springs for more options at the moment. HPI middle springs dont fit the Xray shock. Have to run the Hotbodies shock for that.
EA
The HPI springs do fit the middle shock they just aren't the springs for the
12th scale shock.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Set-Soft-6
Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by mharlow
The HPI springs do fit the middle shock they just aren't the springs for the
12th scale shock.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Set-Soft-6
Gottcha. I guess there was some confusion on my end as to which HPI springs were being referred to. Do you know the ratings in lbs on those springs? They would need to be at least 10-12 to be stiff enough for carpet.

Thanks
EA
Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi EA,

There is also a hard set as well,

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Set-Hard-6
Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Gottcha. I guess there was some confusion on my end as to which HPI springs were being referred to. Do you know the ratings in lbs on those springs? They would need to be at least 10-12 to be stiff enough for carpet.

Thanks
EA
EA,

It's not a bad option as you end up with about 8 springs if you buy the soft, hard & standard springs. Hopefully somewhere in this range will suit what is required.

On another note do you know what a good starting setup for high traction asphalt would be? I'm thinking more about the front end ie reactive and static caster.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by B4james
Hi EA,

There is also a hard set as well,

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Set-Hard-6
Cool...Thanks! Do you know are they the exact same size (diameter) as the stock xray spring?

Originally Posted by mharlow
EA,

It's not a bad option as you end up with about 8 springs if you buy the soft, hard & standard springs. Hopefully somewhere in this range will suit what is required.

On another note do you know what a good starting setup for high traction asphalt would be? I'm thinking more about the front end ie reactive and static caster.
I dont run much on asphalt. Are the corners sweeping or tight corners? I would think you could run more reactive caster if they are sweeping to give the car more wrap around carousels and such. We usually start with the middle setting of reactive caster on carpet. For caster we run thick shim to the front and smaller shims to the rear. I havent seen an instruction manual so I am not exactly sure what the measurements are. More of a try and see how it feels on the track person.

EA
Old 02-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Cool...Thanks! Do you know are they the exact same size (diameter) as the stock xray spring?

EA
I measured them up before I searched the net and they are as close as we are going to find

SPECS: Length: 28mm (1.1")
Inner Diameter: 11mm (0.43")
Outer Diameter: 13mm (0.51")

by my measurements the inner diameter is just slightly larger so they will fit over the shock body with no problem and the outer diameter will still sit on the retaining collar.

as michael said, we got all 8 springs from hard to soft - there should be something in there to suit every track...hopefully.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I havent seen the instruction manual yet but I heard that it was in there to raise the cross brace 1.5 mm to take the preload off the side springs. This will help settle the car down a lot. We did this at the Birds. Also another thing to take the aggressiveness away from the front end is to cut about 2-3mm off the top of the steering block to lower the upper arm and remove camber gain. It will make the car a lot easier to drive and carry more corner speed.

Any more questions fire away and I'll try to answer best possible.

EA
Hi EA,

With the top 2-3mm cut off the top of the steering blocks and using long springs in the front, could you explain (or do you have a photo?) of your shim placement to make all that work?

Thanks in advance!

Mick
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DekelzMan
Hi EA,

With the top 2-3mm cut off the top of the steering blocks and using long springs in the front, could you explain (or do you have a photo?) of your shim placement to make all that work?

Thanks in advance!

Mick
I did the front spring and it was too long the shaft would hit the wheel and if you shim it up the tension would be too much. I would like to see what EA did with his setup.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Team EAM

Yes I will take pics of mine tonight. To use the long springs there are a couple of other things that need to be done but its involved and probably not something most will want to do...lol

To run the long springs you also have to use AE front pivot balls and kingpins from the R5. They balls are shorter and give you enough room to run the long springs. If you dont want to go through that trouble then just run the short springs.

EA

Last edited by EAMotorsports; 02-18-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats when you know EA has WAYYY to much time on his hands
Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks
EA
Got the hpi springs today and they fit perfect. There are 8 all the way from 4lb/in to 10ln/in

does anyone know the STD spring rate?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by ben73
Got the hpi springs today and they fit perfect. There are 8 all the way from 4lb/in to 10ln/in

Standard spring is around a 7-8lb I think. 10 would be pushing enough. Most run around 12.

EA
Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben73

you got a part number for those springs? I want to make sure I get the right set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.