Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY XII LINK

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I got my car last week and ran it friday night for the first time. previously ran the rc12r5

build quality is typical xray - excellent.

the small details on the car are much better than the AE car - I have all offroad AE cars and the fit and finsih on the XII are brilliant.

the shock is great - a much better unit than the rc12r5

car was good out of the box, quite agressive in the front end but by the end of the nights racing I had found a nice balance and got it working well. ended up 0.1 sec off the quickest lap times. the car has speed!

I did run the blue AE side springs on the car as Xray have not released any yet. funnily enough they fit almost perfectly on the spring holders....
Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Ran mine last night for 1st outing and im pleased with its performance out of the box, played with cell position and main shock damping but apart from that the rest is built to the manual.this car has so much more corner speed than the t bar car.

also i didnt run the two spacers that xray recomend in the supplement sheet (under the cross brace) as i thought the side movement in the pod felt nicer without.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Got my kit today and as always, I am highly impressed by the quality of the car.

As for other manufacturers copying other manufacturers cars - yeah - it happens blatantly sometimes - but for goodness sake - there are only so many ways you can design a 1/12th pan car.....have a look back to the original 1/12th's and subsequent kits from all manufacturers - not a whole lot has changed. You pay your money and make your choice, as much as some of us cry "copy" all the time - there are always innovations and better quality cars being produced. I for one will always save and or pay extra for a higher quality kit .....

Really looking forward to driving the XRay, although it has been nearly 20 yeas since I have driven a 1/12th!! WATCH OUT BEN - not because I am quick!!! LOL

Cheers

Darryn
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben73
I got my car last week and ran it friday night for the first time. previously ran the rc12r5

build quality is typical xray - excellent.

the small details on the car are much better than the AE car - I have all offroad AE cars and the fit and finsih on the XII are brilliant.

the shock is great - a much better unit than the rc12r5

car was good out of the box, quite agressive in the front end but by the end of the nights racing I had found a nice balance and got it working well. ended up 0.1 sec off the quickest lap times. the car has speed!

I did run the blue AE side springs on the car as Xray have not released any yet. funnily enough they fit almost perfectly on the spring holders....
I havent seen the instruction manual yet but I heard that it was in there to raise the cross brace 1.5 mm to take the preload off the side springs. This will help settle the car down a lot. We did this at the Birds. Also another thing to take the aggressiveness away from the front end is to cut about 2-3mm off the top of the steering block to lower the upper arm and remove camber gain. It will make the car a lot easier to drive and carry more corner speed.

Any more questions fire away and I'll try to answer best possible.

EA
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Default XII LINK

Hi guys,
getting my car today...
Heya do you have any building tips ?
What shock oil do you suggest for low grip asphalt?
Cheers
Didier
Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ian plimmer
Ran mine last night for 1st outing and im pleased with its performance out of the box, played with cell position and main shock damping but apart from that the rest is built to the manual.this car has so much more corner speed than the t bar car.

also i didnt run the two spacers that xray recomend in the supplement sheet (under the cross brace) as i thought the side movement in the pod felt nicer without.
Do you have enough and even amount of side flex to both left and right without spacers under the brace? We didn't. I also put 1mm shim under the brace to allow more movement. Before shimming the shock touched the cross brace and that limited read pod movement.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does the XII Link accept Associated spring in all locations, front, main shock unit and side springs? I believe Xray has not released their own shock and side springs yet.

I looked at Paul L. setup in the teamxray.forum and it seems that he used Assoc. springs all over the car.

Having tried I know CRC shock springs are too small in diameter.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Rookie

jarkko, my shock seemed to foul more with the spacers in

i and some fellow racers did agree that i got better pod movement without, maybe ive got a build issue here i need to take a look at

pehaps EA could shed some light on this but i will be trying the 1mm shims under there when i next run the car

Last edited by ian plimmer; 02-11-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben73
When you don't have springs ready.. why not use the industry standard.... lol

sounds like a good car.. might get one.. lol
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jarkko
Does the XII Link accept Associated spring in all locations, front, main shock unit and side springs? I believe Xray has not released their own shock and side springs yet.

I looked at Paul L. setup in the teamxray.forum and it seems that he used Assoc. springs all over the car.

AE Springs will fit eveywhere except the shock. Only xray springs fit the shock and the spring that comes with it is to soft for carpet. A hot bodies shock fits perfectly if you trim some off the shock shaft to get the correct length.

Originally Posted by ian plimmer
jarkko, my shock seemed to foul more with the spacers in

i and some fellow racers did agree that i got better pod movement without, maybe ive got a build issue here i need to take a look at

pehaps EA could shed some light on this but i will be trying the 1mm shims under there when i next run the car
If you shim the cross brace you also must shim the top pod plate or the dampner will hit the graphite. This is probably what you felt.

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
When you don't have springs ready.. why not use the industry standard.... lol

sounds like a good car.. might get one.. lol
The car is going to turn a few heads this year I believe. Just a few minor tweaks but it was really good at the Birds in all classes.

EA
Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes is a good car !
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jarkko

the side springs fit however the xray holder is just slightly smaller so to be safe spend the 1.50 and just put the AE holder on and the side springs clip on tighter

as mentioned the main xray spring is larger than AE. I have done a whole lot of searching on the web and the springs I have found that look to be a perfect fit after measurement of the current silver spring are

HPI87277 HPI 11x28x1.1mm Shock Spring (Gold) (2)
HPI87076 HPI 11x28x0.9mm Shock Spring (2)
HPI87318 HPI Shock Spring Set (Soft) (6)
HPI87320 HPI Shock Spring Set (Hard) (6)

the dimensions on the tech sheet look spot on. and the selection is excellent. with all the above you end up with a choice of 8 springs....
Old 02-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

let me get this right...

You guys are using

Associate side springs
HPI middle springs

What about the front springs?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Asc
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid
What about the front springs?
Associated springs most likely -- they are the class standard...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.