R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Which brand of car are you refering to? Also, you are not taking in to consideration the amount of traction that any given track has. There are a lot of carpet tracks that lack good bite that would benifit from a little chassis flex, t-bar or link. And isn't that why there's a bunch of different tire compounds available? Something to suit different cars and driving styles.

Both styles of cars are/can be competitive in the right hands. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and mine happens to prefer a t-bar.
In now race a CRC gen X. I chose a link car because it's easier to fit lipo in, but as you say any car is competitive so maybe my judgement is a bit harsh.

However in my area we usually race on permanent tracks, so the grip is never low. I have tried a lot of different tires/set up on my local track, but my XII could never reach the same corner speeds as other cars. Especially in the chicanes.

The 2.5mm chassis and maybe a custom made t-bar would probably have solved it, but I decided to go for link car right away.
Ahmed Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here is another question to throw in the pile...

Which is better, T-Bar or Link, on different track surfaces? And levels of traction. I know nothing about pan car's, so this would be some insite for me. With lipo being the new "Class" it's not that it matters much anyway. But still, it makes me wonder.
powered by anti-anxieties, sarcasm and chipotle
Owen RaCing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In my experience a properly set-up t-bar car works better on a smooth high bite track and a link car is better for a not so smooth track, they seem to soak up dips and bumps better. I always was able to get more corner speed with a bar car, I could never seem to get the rear of a link car to not waggle in the corners.
Chris Lockhart

chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Pretty slick and clean mod there Steve.

You always been fast with these cars. I still remember one winter at Shiloh running a pink can motor just so I could be as fast as you for 4 minutes...

I think the biggest difference between bar and link is steering. Seems that it is easier to dial more steering into or out of a link chassis than a bar chassis. However, I found the bar chassis to be initially more forgiving and easier to set up and drive faster than link cars.
rcko is offline   Reply With Quote