R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Amoeba Send a message via MSN to Amoeba Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Default Speed Passion Brushless Analysis tool

Has anyone used the Speed Passion Brushless Analysis tool? Any thoughts or comments on how well it works or its usefulness? I'm not an on-road guy (usually hanging out in elec & nitro offroad forums) but figured you on-road freaks would be the most likely people to own one with the obsessive tuning and performance neurosis you all seem to have.

Being relatively new to electric racing, it bugs me that you take any 3 10.5t motors from different manufacturers you'll end up with 3 very different performance results, even if the kV are the same. I'm thinking about picking the Speed Passion analysis tool (it's not cheap but I have the disposable income for it) and was looking for direct feedback from anyone who owns one. Knowing that motor A has better bottom end, motor B is a top-end king, and motor C is more power efficient would be really helpful in selecting which one works for which track type/need.
Erin Carroll

Do Not Taunt Happy-Fun Ball
Amoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The SP BLA is usefull in a particular manner. I found it most useful when comparing motors of the same wind and make to each other. I look at the KV and RPM readings with no load on the motor, and then I use a fan attached to the shaft to simulate a small load. I look at the KV and RPM values again. The stronger motors show a smaller decrease in RPM and KV with the load applied. I found it difficult to compare motors from different manufacturers however. I believe this is because they all come with slightly different std timing values which skews the RPM drastically. I haven't had the time to thoroughly investigate the means necessary to compare different makes of motors, but I suspect a meaningful comparison could be made by adjusting the timing on the motor untill the two makes read the same RPM value for a given voltage. then take the difference raeadings at that point and see which is the stronger of the two. I did find that the results were very repeatable. Not to mention it allows you to test differences in ESC settings and software as well.
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Gravity R/C◢|◤HWNA◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote