Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease??? >

Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???

Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???

Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Run everything dry? is this to me or who is that to? The grinding noise only happens between 30-60 percent throttle, above or below that there is no problems.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MonsterBull
I have the rover mini cooper mo3. When I turn the wheel all the way and run the throttle at a certain speed, the driveline produces this gnarly CGKGKCKGKCKGKKKCKKG sound and the car violently, like reaaaaly violently vibrates. Ive tried many different o-ring spacer setups in the cup, single oring inboard cup, two orings on inboard cup, single oring in outer cup, two orings in outer cup, and and oring in both outer and inner cups. None of these are working at all. It sounds like someone has dumped some rocks inside of a blender. Anyone know what I should try?
Assuming you aren't running some kind of locked or very tight diff, that sounds like wear and tear in the driveshafts and drive cups.

The universal driveshafts should be a bit smoother, or just replace the worn drivetrain parts.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get rid of the CAPS LOCK, that is just plain annoying!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???-orig-11229041.jpg   Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???-capslock.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Run everything dry? is this to me or who is that to? The grinding noise only .
To the OP.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge
Assuming you aren't running some kind of locked or very tight diff, that sounds like wear and tear in the driveshafts and drive cups.

The universal driveshafts should be a bit smoother, or just replace the worn drivetrain parts.
The car is brand new. Put it way last year after this all started up. Heres someone elses quote from rc car actions forum

Hi Guys,

I'm running a Tamiya Mini M03-L.

It appears that when I throttle the car and turn at the same I appear to get a rather loud grinding sound coming from the car. This sound does not come when running straight. When this happens the car's performance drops, and so doe's the speed.

I was told by some other members to Install the Tamiya Universal set which I have done, and I'm still experiencing this grinding noise when the car is turning.

The noise comes from the Gear shaft, and it happens whenever turning and throttling...

Can anyone offer me so other advice?

Many thanks,

Josh.

My parts are all pristine looking to. Ive tried a boatload of o-ring setups with no luck. This problem is heard of here and there with now fix. Can you give me your full front end setup, including orings and whatnot. Deffinatley not and gears griding though.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

The car is brand new. Put it way last year after this all started up. Heres someone elses quote from rc car actions forum

Hi Guys,

I'm running a Tamiya Mini M03-L.

It appears that when I throttle the car and turn at the same I appear to get a rather loud grinding sound coming from the car. This sound does not come when running straight. When this happens the car's performance drops, and so doe's the speed.

I was told by some other members to Install the Tamiya Universal set which I have done, and I'm still experiencing this grinding noise when the car is turning.

The noise comes from the Gear shaft, and it happens whenever turning and throttling...

Can anyone offer me so other advice?

Many thanks,

Josh.

My parts are all pristine looking to. Ive tried a boatload of o-ring setups with no luck. This problem is heard of here and there with now fix. Can you give me your full front end setup, including orings and whatnot. Deffinatley not and gears griding though.
The front end of my car is built exactly as M-05 standard kit with the exception of some heavy grease in the gear diff, full bearings, CVA super mini shocks, short springs, alloy wheel hexes and some shims to take out the play on the wheel axles.