Loose Belt?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

Default Loose Belt?

So I was at the track the other day, it seems like everyone was able to accelerate harder than me. Seems like I am matching everyone in straight line speed. Would a worn out belt or loose belt make my acceleration feel flat? I've already geared down a bit to try and get the acceleration.

The only thing I can think of is my belt either need a tensioner or replace the belt.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jcr
So I was at the track the other day, it seems like everyone was able to accelerate harder than me. Seems like I am matching everyone in straight line speed. Would a worn out belt or loose belt make my acceleration feel flat? I've already geared down a bit to try and get the acceleration.

The only thing I can think of is my belt either need a tensioner or replace the belt.
If the belt isn't slipping it isn't slowing you down, you will hear a slipping belt.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jcr

if your belt is too loose or worn, it might skip some teeth before finally get hold of the pulleys but from my experience and observations in most cases it will affect handling during acceleration (probably not if it's a single belt car or if both front and rear belts worn equally)

another case, try to check your diff, perhaps it's too loose.

my 2cents..
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Loose belt makes you car feel a bit sluggish but not that bad.

few things can can contribute.

Loose belt will make ur car sluggish.
As above stated Skipping teeth.
Or stretching belt.

Speed Controller cant get enough juice from battery.
(Aka it cant get the peak amps for the Punch)
Capacitors or a better battery with High Burst amps might help.
I only felt this once so doubt its this.

Gearing it lower gives you torque and some what better accel for the cost of top speed.

Then you also have the motor.
I found in my collection of motors Sinthered motors have more punch.
Over the bonded. This might not be true with all motors.

What also might help us determine whats going on is what you are running.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

I don't think it is the battery because I've tried others and still seems the same.

I think my front belt might be a little stretched.... seems loose to me.

I'm running a Tamiya TA04R (yes... oldie) with a CO27 motor and a LRP V7.1 ESC. Even a TT-01 feels like it has better acceleration than me and their gearing seems to make their motor a ton hotter than mine.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

As mentioned I would check the diff
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Don't forget that you could have problems with acceleration and top speed if the belt is too tight.

Skiddins
Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Too many variables with not enough information. It is probably NOT your belts, unless they are very very tight.

It could be an issue with:
Your motor
Your gearing
Your timing setup
Your driving style
Battery voltage issue
Weight issue
Your ESC profile or other
Ineffeciant drivetrain
Or a half dozen other things
Old 12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

what is the proper "timing setup" for a CO27

depending on skill level, your competitors may simply be getting on the throttle sooner
Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
what is the proper "timing setup" for a CO27

depending on skill level, your competitors may simply be getting on the throttle sooner
Hehe... oh ok, so I didn't read EVERY reply in the thread before I made my own Are his competators all running 17.5s? My point stands... we dont have enough information to point him to anything in particular.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

tested out a TT-01 and TA05 with also a 27T motor and that seems quicker on acceleration. The TA05 also has the C027 and have swapped batteries before.

So I should tighten the diff?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jcr
tested out a TT-01 and TA05 with also a 27T motor and that seems quicker on acceleration. The TA05 also has the C027 and have swapped batteries before.

So I should tighten the diff?

If it is slipping, yes.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got a couple of TA04's here is a check list of things

check the diffs, when was the last time they were cleaned/rebuilt?
if they are set up correctly and clean they should feel like butter

check the bearings. all of them, make sure they smooth any little bit of gritty fee,l clean or replace them.

When was the last time the motor was cleaned, rebuilt and the com cut or even had the bushings oiled? If its been awhile it might be a good idea to get on top of that.

If the pinion and spur are too tight that would cause the car to be slow.
Make sure you are running the right gear ratio also.
also the .04 pitch gears are alot smoother then the .06 pitch
with that being said make sure your using the correct pinion pitch because there is a standard and metric pitch they are very close in pitch but can cause unwanted drag.

it just might be your ESC, What ESC are you running, if its older it might not have the punch as some of the newer ones.

I don't know so I am going to ask are you using cheap connectors any where? Like on the battery to the ESC, or the ESC to the motor? If so upgrade them.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:28 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by team jeremiah
I got a couple of TA04's here is a check list of things

check the diffs, when was the last time they were cleaned/rebuilt?
if they are set up correctly and clean they should feel like butter

check the bearings. all of them, make sure they smooth any little bit of gritty fee,l clean or replace them.

When was the last time the motor was cleaned, rebuilt and the com cut or even had the bushings oiled? If its been awhile it might be a good idea to get on top of that.

If the pinion and spur are too tight that would cause the car to be slow.
Make sure you are running the right gear ratio also.
also the .04 pitch gears are alot smoother then the .06 pitch
with that being said make sure your using the correct pinion pitch because there is a standard and metric pitch they are very close in pitch but can cause unwanted drag.

it just might be your ESC, What ESC are you running, if its older it might not have the punch as some of the newer ones.

I don't know so I am going to ask are you using cheap connectors any where? Like on the battery to the ESC, or the ESC to the motor? If so upgrade them.
I think I got most of those correct. Just rebuilt the diff again, jusst wondering how tight should it be? I was running loose in the rear because I was running a one-way before. Now I'm running ball diff up front, so I've tighten it up a bit.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jcr
I think I got most of those correct. Just rebuilt the diff again, jusst wondering how tight should it be? I was running loose in the rear because I was running a one-way before. Now I'm running ball diff up front, so I've tighten it up a bit.

Run your diff loose as you can without it slipping. To check take a wrench or whatever and stick thru one of the holes it the spur so it can't move and try to move the rear wheels, they should not slip easily. It will likely need readjusted after you run a few laps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.