Search

ROAR to change lipo voltage to 4.20 and 8.40

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
Do you want me too? I have no problem with that

I have NO problem with that either.....I run a booster!
It is however a lipo and will need teching now.

There should have never been a tolerance in the matter of safety in the first place.

BTW the rule hasn't worked over the past 3 years
????? meaning what ? hasn't worked - how ?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

A low-tech solution to getting the battery back down to 8.40 volts would be to attach some automotive light bulbs in parallel to a connector and plug the battery into it until the desired voltage is reached.

My charger is not the best (I've seen it go over .01-.02 or so on a 2S pack) so I'm going to go this route for events where they are checking.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (99%+)

Any bets on the controversy next week?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Why in the world would ROAR have made the initial statement and allowance of .04 in the beginning AND change it NOW? If it was allowable in THE BEGINNING and racers are going BY THE RULES and getting their chargers upgraded TO THE RULES then why change it????? What has changed in the lipo battery that would make you change an existing rule? It certainly has not ruined ALL the batteries from 2009 has it because of the extra .04V? Must we all now dispose all of our 2009 lipos?
You didn't get your charger upgraded to within the rules, you got your charger upgraded to take advantage of a tolerance allowance on purpose. VERY DIFFERENT.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swimbikerun
Any bets on the controversy next week?
Gauge of wire and how many strands it can have.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TwoTone
You didn't get your charger upgraded to within the rules, you got your charger upgraded to take advantage of a tolerance allowance on purpose. VERY DIFFERENT.
I didn't get MY charger upgraded! My charger came stock charging at 4.22V And allowable tolerance IS in the rules I believe for the next 10 days! DIFFERENT how ?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

I'm speaking of the allowance, not the RULE! i understand that the rule has been there for many years---and the allowance too.
So am I though, if ROAR changed to 8.4 and the BRCA did not, where would that leave guys who travel around?

Seems to me that the rule got used and abused, so it went zero tolerance.

Now the maximum limit is set, people know what their max limit is.

Personally, if I wanted peace of mind for my own charger, it would be at 8.38 or 8.39v. A bit like running a car close to the weight limit...
Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
i bet we could get this to 200+ posts if we try. by then, we will have lost another 20 racers that were leaning toward on-road as a way to spend their christmas money ....

Wow we really have 4 pages of "discussion" on .04 volts...in one morning...really!? That's just sad.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

OK I'm finished no more posts for me on this thread!

THANK YOU

Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Doesn't matter if you got a charger upgraded or not. You are assuming the charger has that level of accuracy and most likely do not. If an accurate multimeter costs $300 and our chargers cost $150 do the math.

To Chris's point earlier about RC being more receptive do we really need to be teching down to .04 volts and asking racers to buy $300 voltmeters? (I realize ROAR didn't say this, you did).

I guess my only beef is that DQs should be reserved for people intentionally cheating. I would guess most people going over on voltage are not doing it intentionally and the fix for it (run the motor a bit to get the voltage down) is an easy one.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

????? meaning what ? hasn't worked - how ?
Roar allows LiPo's - racers complain because they have to buy new chargers

Racers read the rules and complain because their chargers that they just bought don't charge to 8.44V.

Charger company's complain because now they have to rewrite their software to maximize the allowance knowing the entire time that 8.40V is the rule. But they still do it because racers demand it

Racers complain because they have to spend more money to send the chargers back to the company to get updated...sometimes twice if you run a GFX.

Sounds like it's worked great
Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Doesn't matter if you got a charger upgraded or not. You are assuming the charger has that level of accuracy and most likely do not. If an accurate multimeter costs $300 and our chargers cost $150 do the math.

To Chris's point earlier about RC being more receptive do we really need to be teching down to .04 volts and asking racers to buy $300 voltmeters? (I realize ROAR didn't say this, you did).

I guess my only beef is that DQs should be reserved for people intentionally cheating. I would guess most people going over on voltage are not doing it intentionally and the fix for it (run the motor a bit to get the voltage down) is an easy one.
See that was part of my point, the tolerance was there for the inaccuracies involved in charging batteries. Racers being racers took advantage of the tolerance and now that door is closed- oh well.

The comment about the $300 multimeter was sarcasm. Since returning to RC in VTA after a long time off, I now see why on-road is dying- the cost.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
If it was up to me, you would be removed from the event.

Have you ever been hit by the NiMh projectiles when they exploded?
Have you ever had $2000 worth of race equipment ruined because of a LiPo fire in your pit?

The punishment is light and a slap on the hand if you ask me?

It's a safety thing dude
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Wow we really have 4 pages of "discussion" on .04 volts...in one morning...really!?
hence ...

Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I wonder if people were charging their batteries to 8.45 volts so they could back it back down the the absolute maximum of 8.44. Maybe that is why there is the rule change. Now people will target 8.41 so they can back it down to the absolute limit of 8.40.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.