Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to change lipo voltage to 4.20 and 8.40

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
yeah but the offroad crowd doesn't care about the .04 voltage difference. Every week the onroad crowd is bitching about something else, if it's not a new esc, new software, new motors, it's .04 volts. I've raced onroad since the early 90's and have happily switched to offroad to actually have some fun again without worrying about all this crap and constantly changing rules.
I personally don't care about the .04 difference too. Just seems ironic that some charger companies went to the limits "as usual" to confide within rules and now the rules have changed.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
1fastdude, you seem to be spearheading this "campaign" so tell me something...

I want you to prove to me in your next post EXACTLY what advantage your vehicle has by charging to 8.44V over 8.40V. How exactly and in exact detail does that give you an advantage? I would like to see specifics please.
I'm not Eli but this would be my concern. My packs were reading slightly over 8.4 at the Halloween Classic (like 8.42, etc). I own a very unsophisticated charger (FMA Direct Scorpion - It just has a knob for setting charge rate, that is all). I'm not intentionally trying to cheat or even push the limits. I would just hate to get DQed for something that you say provides no advantage anyway.

As long as the meter is available to everyone then I guess that works. I'm not sure why the DQ though. Seems the racers should be able to run their batteries down to reach the voltage. That is what they will need to do anyways. Why would it matter if that is 10 minutes before their heat or while they are at tech?

I'm not opposed to the rule, if its for safety then it's even that much more important. I guess the penalty seems harsh for something that seems like it could be innocent. Perhaps it could be if you are within .04 you can run the battery down in tech and if over .04 then DQed?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
yeah but the offroad crowd doesn't care about the .04 voltage difference. Every week the onroad crowd is bitching about something else, if it's not a new esc, new software, new motors, it's .04 volts. I've raced onroad since the early 90's and have happily switched to offroad to actually have some fun again without worrying about all this crap and constantly changing rules.
This rule I would assume applies to off-road ROAR events as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
No advantage, just stating that with the new 2010 rules that any racer that has a charger that charges to the old 2009 rules will be breaking the rule! Advantage-Smantage makes no difference to me, other than the fact that my new Dynamite charger is OVERCHARGING now! I run within the rules at all races I attend or "I'm disqualified"
OK so you said it yourself, there is NO ADVANTAGE! Why complain about it?

It sucks to be a charger company if said charger company cannot read the roar rules that have stated the standard is 8.40V. If they write into their software the ability to charge to 8.44V they have been in the wrong and did not read the rules for the past almost 3 years. I'm not saying Dynamite specifically because there is more than one.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

I suppose that ROAR is going to be checking 2S receiver packs also?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
This rule I would assume applies to off-road ROAR events as well.
I understand that, I just don't see the offroad crowd being all spun up about it, that's all.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm not Eli but this would be my concern. My packs were reading slightly over 8.4 at the Halloween Classic (like 8.42, etc). I own a very unsophisticated charger (FMA Direct Scorpion - It just has a knob for setting charge rate, that is all). I'm not intentionally trying to cheat or even push the limits. I would just hate to get DQed for something that you say provides no advantage anyway.

As long as the meter is available to everyone then I guess that works. I'm not sure why the DQ though. Seems the racers should be able to run their batteries down to reach the voltage. That is what they will need to do anyways. Why would it matter if that is 10 minutes before their heat or while they are at tech?

I'm not opposed to the rule, if its for safety then it's even that much more important. I guess the penalty seems harsh for something that seems like it could be innocent. Perhaps it could be if you are within .04 you can run the battery down in tech and if over .04 then DQed?
That's why the voltmeter is the very first thing pulled out of the Roar boxes when we show up for a race, Were barely saying hello to people and I try to have that out as early as possible, I know most guys aren't trying to push the limit, that's why i have the voltmeter accessible to everyone. Charge your pack, come up and check it, it your over, take it back to your pits and make the necessary changes, as long as your not blipping your throttle where I can see it I could care less, as long as it's 8.40V when you pass through tech
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default Lipo voltage in the Uk

For the last 2 nationals that rule 4.2volts has been in force . As all are not using lipo yet .At the first national all cars were checked before there heat and final .Ensuring all cars were 4.2 no tolarence.If over ,you had to discharge the cell till below the 4.2 or on it.
Second national was random testing.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

None, but I believe the question is about chargers that charge the extra .04. What happens?
So had 2 charger can set charge more 0.4v to get more punch !
ICharger 206B +-0.01 - 0.1 per cell setup !
MUCH MORE Legend
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
OK so you said it yourself, there is NO ADVANTAGE! Why complain about it?

Correct NO advantage...........Complaining because-----see below
It sucks to be a charger company if said charger company cannot read the roar rules that have stated the standard is 8.40V. If they write into their software the ability to charge to 8.44V they have been in the wrong and did not read the rules for the past almost 3 years. I'm not saying Dynamite specifically because there is more than one.
We are racers that run within the rules and sometimes to the rule MAX. If the rule had stated that there was an allowable tolerance..........then that is what racers will go to. To get every advantage of winning!

Again why change a rule that has worked for the past 3 years, NOW? I can see no real point in this, other than to stir the racing community up AGAIN. Reconsider why this rule is being changed--is it for safety or ?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Again why change a rule that has worked for the past 3 years, NOW?
Have a look in the BRCA rules too, we are at 8.4v too, it isn't just ROAR.

http://www.brca.org/BRCA/library/BRCA2009.pdf
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Seems like it's going to be a nightmare to tech. The Halloween Classic had a voltage meter that was reading really high for everyone. They switched it out and everyone was fine. If voltage meters all seem to read differently its not like I can just get a voltage meter of my own to check it.

It looks like for most voltmeters under $100 the accuracy is .5% which would mean a pack at 8.40v could read between 8.442V to 8.358V on the meter. I presume a charger uses a voltmeter as well. So if both had .5% accuracy and they both read in opposite directions the difference could be .084.

At the Classic they were allowing people to run their batteries down. How does ROAR handle that?
If people can spend $300 on an ESC, they can spend a few hundred on a Fluke and have an accurate Volt meter.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc3team
Have a look in the BRCA rules too, we are at 8.4v too, it isn't just ROAR.

http://www.brca.org/BRCA/library/BRCA2009.pdf
I'm speaking of the allowance, not the RULE! i understand that the rule has been there for many years---and the allowance too.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I suppose that ROAR is going to be checking 2S receiver packs also?
Do you want me too? I have no problem with that

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
So had 2 charger can set charge more 0.4v to get more punch !
ICharger 206B +-0.01 - 0.1 per cell setup !
MUCH MORE Legend
Prove it, give me real world data on this "punch" advantage.

We are racers that run within the rules and sometimes to the rule MAX. If the rule had stated that there was an allowable tolerance..........then that is what racers will go to. To get every advantage of winning!

Again why change a rule that has worked for the past 3 years, NOW?
There should have never been a tolerance in the matter of safety in the first place.

BTW the rule hasn't worked over the past 3 years
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by goop
i think there should be a standard multimeter then, lets say a fluke meter this way there should be no difference in readings as was the case at the classic. these races are using 5 dollar multimeters that arent even close to being accurate.
Even my $300 Fluke I had when I was an A&P mechanic needed to be calibrated every so often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.