Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New to R/C Hobby, which one do you recommend me? >

New to R/C Hobby, which one do you recommend me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to R/C Hobby, which one do you recommend me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C Hobby, which one do you recommend me?

Hi guys nice forum, I would like to hear your opinions about this two Ready To Race packages:

- Tamiya Lamborghini Countach LP500S
- HPI Sprint 2 RTR Sport RC Car w/Toureza Body

Thanks, and if you have some other model that you would recommend me, that would be appreciated too.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by enb141
Hi guys nice forum, I would like to hear your opinions about this two Ready To Race packages:

- Tamiya Lamborghini Countach LP500S
- HPI Sprint 2 RTR Sport RC Car w/Toureza Body

Thanks, and if you have some other model that you would recommend me, that would be appreciated too.
Both good kits to start with. I recommend getting the kit that has spare parts at the hobbyshop you plan on shopping in.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I am a big Tamiya fan.., however between the 2, I would recommend the HPI. The Countach comes with the TT01 chassis which has a lot of plastic parts.

Instead, I would recommend these Tamiya kits which are nearly the same price as the HPI and are a much design and value in comparison to the TT01 chassis.

TA05 IFS $199 has lay down shocks, belt driven
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTRN2&P=7

TA05 $179 has traditional stand up shocks, belt driven
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSG0&P=7

TB03 $204 shaft driven
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWCP0&P=7

Later if you like you can buy the Countach body and fit it to these cars.

While I do think it is important to support the local hobby stores, I find that they rarely carry the kits and parts I need. So if they do not carry your parts, don't fret, just order them online from Tower Hobbies, AMAINHobbies etc.

Also feel free to use this forum, majority of us are here to help.. and if someone gives you slack for asking what they perceive as a silly question. don't let it bother you! Just ignore them.

Welcome to the Hobby and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for those links, I actually live outside the US so to me my only store is internet, now back to topic, could you tell me the differences between those TA05, TA05 IFS, TB03?

One more question, do you know if I can use the lamborghini countach/ferrary with the HPI body?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

From memory, the Tamiya countach isnt a standard size body, the rear wheels need a large offset (they stick out further than normal)

TT01- shaft drive, VERY BASIC, low spec, reliable, almost unbreakable-DOESNT COME WITH BEARINGS, basic parts needed have to be bought separately as hopups (bearings, metal centre shaft). Overpriced

TB03- a more modern version of the TT01, not sure if it comes with bearings

TA05, the best of the Tamiyas(except for the very expensive carbon racing kits). Belt drive. Needs a clean track as belt & gears are exposed. Good enough for racing at a club level. very good for drifting.

TT01D & TB03d both come with bearings and are better than the standard version.
TT01E is much improved over the standard TT01, still needs bearings.Still rather basic.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Matey, take a look at the Hot Bodies cyclone-S or the Kyosho TF-5 RTR as they can be had VERY cheaply these days and are both competitive OUT OF THE BOX. But have huge amounts of hop ups for when you are ready to make some improvements to your ride.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The countach body requires a shorter wheel base. On the Tamiya kits this is done by flipping the arms over, or using shims behind the arms to push them forward. I don't believe the HPI sprint has adjustable wheelbase.

TA05 is belt driven just like the HPI Sprint that you originally listed. It comes in 3 variations. The original is the TA05 which has stand up shocks. The newer version is the TA05 IFS which has inboard front shocks (hence IFS) I recommend the original TA05 because its easier to set up the shocks. There only advantage to these shocks is that in enables you to use more slope nosed bodies. Then there is the TA04 Version. 2.. it has some advanced suspension may overwhelm you.

The good news is that later if you choose to you can upgrade to the IFS and Version 2. TA05 kits come with ball bearings

TB03 is a shaft driven car, very similar to the TT01 which comes in the countach kit. It also comes with ball bearings and has the inboard front shocks.

Hotbodies Cyclone - Hotbodies is the higher end line of HPI. Its very similar to a TA05. The Cyclone S comes without a body for $159 by the time you add a body you are at a TA05 again.

Kyosho - TF5 is a shaft driven car like the TB03 and TT01. I own Kyosho nitro cars and their quality is great.. parts are tricky to come by at times..

My advice to you is to pick something between HPI Sprint, Hot Bodies Cyclone or Tamiya TA05. They're very similar and belt driven, which makes them very smooth to drive. After each run a little compressed air and its clean.

Now if you are looking to drive on dirt occasionally then I suggest going with a TB03
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cherry2blost
Hi Matey, take a look at the Hot Bodies cyclone-S or the Kyosho TF-5 RTR as they can be had VERY cheaply these days and are both competitive OUT OF THE BOX. But have huge amounts of hop ups for when you are ready to make some improvements to your ride.
Yeah, I agree with this post. I've got both cars and although they don't compare to my higher end kits, they both are very decent and with some upgrades, can be competitive. I lean towards the TF5 more due to the parts being stronger than the Cyclone S, plus the upgrades are easy to purchase and relatively cheap. Anywayz, both are decent.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

First piece of advice if you're new and planning on racing- go to the local track and see what everyone is running. Pick something they are running so you can get set up help.

If you get something no one runs- you're on your own for set up.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys for your posts, well actually I don't think I'm going to use my car to compete, most likely I'm gonna use it for fun so I don't care about speed and stufs like that.

Now another question for how long and which battery pack do you recommend me for this cars?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cyclone S kit comes with a body and is cheaper than mentioned here.

Two issues with it, some gearing ration can be tricky to achieve and battery space limits to thiner packs.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry for hijacking but I have a question to ask. I never tried an electric car before, only nitro, what specific features should I look for when choosing a new electric car?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

- price
- will it fit my battery I intend to use?
- will it fit the motor I intend to use (will gears mash for the motor)?
- parts availability

Pick one, have fun!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1101

TT01- shaft drive, VERY BASIC, low spec, reliable, almost unbreakable-DOESNT COME WITH BEARINGS, basic parts needed have to be bought separately as hopups (bearings, metal centre shaft). Overpriced

TB03- a more modern version of the TT01, not sure if it comes with bearings

TA05, the best of the Tamiyas(except for the very expensive carbon racing kits). Belt drive. Needs a clean track as belt & gears are exposed. Good enough for racing at a club level. very good for drifting.
Not to be a stickler, but the TB03 is an updated version of the TB02. The TB02 was released around the same time as the original TA05, and shared all the same suspension/steering parts. The only differences centered around the fact that the TB is shaft drive, while the TA is belt drive. Both TA and TB platforms are fairly high-end, with many adjustments available, ball bearings standard, aluminum driveshaft standard on the TB, etc.

The TT01 is a completely different car, and while it is a shaft driven tub chassis car like the TB series, it is an entry level car, which usually (except for the "D" model) comes without bearings, comes with a plastic driveshaft, etc.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Considering that you are using the car for fun the TA05 would be the better choice as it has very good parts support anywhere and is generally reliable.

If you do intend to race the cyclone S is a great starting point with a better config for the track out of the box.

For power you will be able to purchase a brushless combo online somewhere that will do the job fine. Make sure the ESC has a lipo cut built in. A 10.5t motor is a great balance between sense and speed for unprepared surfaces like carparks and similar. You will get decent runtime and speed and won't destroy the cars drivetrain at warp 10 like a 4.5t motor would. Get a couple of decent capacity lipos and a compatable charger and you are set.