R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Foams on Carpet (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/35359-foams-carpet.html)

dontfeelcold 03-09-2004 07:31 AM

Foams on Carpet

I have only ever run on carpet once and i didnt know what i was doing, and since there are alot of carpet tracks in America, i was hoping someone could answer my question.

What foam tire compounds work best on carpet?
and
Should i use traction compound?

Thanks for any help

Ko Racer 03-09-2004 07:45 AM

Re: Foams on Carpet

Originally posted by dontfeelcold
I have only ever run on carpet once and i didnt know what i was doing, and since there are alot of carpet tracks in America, i was hoping someone could answer my question.

What foam tire compounds work best on carpet?
and
Should i use traction compound?

Thanks for any help

I have been using purples (rear) and plaids (front) and pargon for traction

EricF 03-09-2004 07:59 AM

Which shore rating you use depends on how much traction is available. If traction is low I would suggest using a soft shore tire like cyan front and tan rear (TRC tires) the Cyan is a 37/45 and the tan is 37.

As traction goes up move up to a harder tire. Like plaids and purples 40/45 and 40.

Also glue the outside edge of the foam on the front if the car turns in too hard and wants to traction roll.

Just my opinion.

E

fatdoggy 03-09-2004 01:26 PM

Orange Purple(plaid) and Purple or Orange d.pink and d. pink.

Definately use compound, paragon works well. I used some corally tc3 compound on the weekend and it seems to work well to.

futureal 03-09-2004 01:36 PM

Definitely try plaids in the front and purples in the rear as a starting point. Sauce the rear tires fully with a traction compound like Corally's Jack the Gripper, Paragon, or TQ Blue or TQ Orange. Sauce the inside 1/3 of the front tires as well. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then wipe the tires off before you hit the track.

If the car is still too loose, you can try going to a softer rear tire, like the aforementioned tan. If you want to stay equal on both ends for more bite, try cyan fronts and tan rears.

Foam tires are set by a shore rating, where, for example:

Orange: 45
Purple: 40
Tan: 37

When you look at a "Plaid" tire, it has the outer 1/3 edge of the tire in a harder foam (orange) and the inner 2/3 in a softer foam (purple). Same for Cyans. This stops the outer edge of the tire from biting in too hard in the corners.

If your car is traction rolling, you may also try putting a bead of CA glue along the very outer edge of your foam tires -- this practice is pretty standard at high bite tracks.

You may also pick up the latest issue of Xtreme R/C (#101) for my article on foam tire versus rubber tire setups, which covers some other basic things to try when running a foam car. :)

Good luck!

Nova F1 Racer 03-09-2004 05:24 PM

First what kind of car 10 scale-12 scale 2 /4 wheel drive etc..
Motor 27 vs 10 turn.
What kind of carpet?

On www.rc4less.com they have this explaining foams...
Hope this helps...

Green 30+/-
Medium compound recommended on medium traction carpet tracks.

Blue 50+/-
Medium/harder compound, recommended on extremely high traction carpet tracks and on asphalt tracks.

White 30+/-
Soft compound, recommended for rear tires on low traction carpet tracks. Works well in modified racing on the rear.

Gray 35-40
Medium compound recommended on medium traction carpet / abrasive asphalt tracks. Low wear / longer lasting.

Pink 30
Soft compound recommended on low traction asphalt tracks and as the inside front or rear on low bite carpet tracks.

Double Pink 35
Slightly firmer pink, recommended on low traction asphalt tracks and more abrasive tracks.

Purple 40
Medium/hard compound recommended on high traction asphalt or carpet tracks. Low wear / longer lasting.

Double Purple 45
Hard compound recommended on high traction asphalt or carpet tracks. Low wear / longer lasting.

Red 50
Hardest compound recommended on high traction asphalt tracks. Good for right front. Lowest wear / longest lasting.