Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!! 1 cell lipo with brushed motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation HELP!! 1 cell lipo with brushed motor

A few friends and I are starting a new class at the track we race at. The track is indoors and is carpet and is 65'x35' and mostly oval with a small infield dogleg for a simple roadcourse. We are running pan cars and are using the SMC 1 cell 25C lipo pack but arre trying to match it to a brushed motor for now as we don't have the money yet for brushless.

We were going to try the Venom 21 turn double wind mod motor but it seems to be way down on power with the 1 cell lipo. Any suggestions on what brushed motor would work for us with this setup? We are committed to the 1 cell 25c lipo and just need the right brushed motor.

Please help!

Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
A few friends and I are starting a new class at the track we race at. The track is indoors and is carpet and is 65'x35' and mostly oval with a small infield dogleg for a simple roadcourse. We are running pan cars and are using the SMC 1 cell 25C lipo pack but arre trying to match it to a brushed motor for now as we don't have the money yet for brushless.

We were going to try the Venom 21 turn double wind mod motor but it seems to be way down on power with the 1 cell lipo. Any suggestions on what brushed motor would work for us with this setup? We are committed to the 1 cell 25c lipo and just need the right brushed motor.

Please help!

Thanks
try a 19t motor you should have plenty of power then
Old 12-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you Casey, in fact we were originally going to go with the 19 Turn Venom but the guy at the hobby shop thought it might be too much motor!
He originally suggested using a 27 Turn stock motor which is a single wind as you know. so we thought that the 21 Turn double wind would be a good choice; wrong move I guess. I was also considering the 17 Turn double wind Venom motor. Do you think that would be too much?

Thanks again for replying. I thought there would be more replys than this; kind of dissappointed that there has'nt been so far. I think most are using the 1 cell lipo packs with brushless motors so they probably don't have much info on using them with a brushed motor. Believe me, I wish we could afford to go brushless right now but with the economy the way it is and that some of us are currently unemployed we had no choice but to go with brushed motors for now as that allows us to use our current esc's that we already have for brushed motors. Too much to spend for the whole brushless motor/esc combo's for now; maybe in the spring. Novak and Reedy and the others need to come out with a 1/10 brushless motor/esc package that is $100 or less and then you would see far more people jump on board the brushless bandwagon. I believe in brushless; they are the future and are better than brushed, but they are still way too expensive up front to purchase. I know, I know that they will cost you less in the long run to own and maintain, I get it, but the initial cost is still too high and if you are trying to intice new people to the hobby/sport most will balk at spending $150 -$300 for a motor and speed control. Some of the cars themselves cost less than that! I just don't get why the manufacturers like Novak, Reedy, Trinity, etc. have'nt figured that out yet!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The trouble with brushed motors on 1s lipo is that with only 3.7 volts you just can't get the rpms out of them. They get hot trying to pull the insane gearing that the brushless do. I think 19T sounds like your best bet, better torque band so you can use gearing to compensate for the rpm loss.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are you running this class just for fun or will it be a sanctioned race class?
If it is only for fun the you could try 2 x 26650 A123 cells. It is 6.6v 2300mA pack. Run a 27T motor, if that is a bit too fast then a dirt cheap Tamiya Black can will do.
With brushed they are nowhere as efficient as brushless so running a Lipo you need to be careful that you don't dump the pack. The A123s will tolerate this without causing issues.
With the 2S A123s no booster or receiver pack needed (6.6v), will work will all the old school ESCs. Safe, can be fast charged etc...
You would only need one 2 cell pack. Should cost lest then $20 and last for well over 500 cycles.
I have run mine a couple of times now and with a 10.5 it is ballistic. I went for a run today, put the pack on charge straight afterwards at 5A charge (highest my charger will do), 25 minutes later fully charged and time to go play again. Just need to keep the tyres up to it now
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! 1 cell lipo with brushed motor-top-a123.jpg  

Last edited by GWH74; 12-19-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've run brushed with 1S. 19t is nice...for five minutes. It simply draws too much juice. Your best bet is to go with a standard 27t stock motor, lightly sprung: greens. I used a CO27 and could make 8 minutes run time. Roll out around 60mm. It won't be super quick, but it's not that bad.

Get your class going, have fun, and move to brushless when you can afford it.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys for all your help! I appreciate it!

We are running for fun but we will be an actual spec class with specific rules such as everyone will be using the 1 cell 25C lipo packs; no others allowed.

If I understand correctly, the 19T will get the job done but will only be good for 5 minutes run time which means we will need to purchase multiple lipo packs because of the length of time it takes to charge them. The 27T stock motor might be another possibilty as it will allow longer run times and perhaps mean we won't need to purchase multiple packs. Our races are 5 minutes in length.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

I ran a 19t for a while with the old 1S 4000 SMC lipo and had no problems making 8 min. run times. It was a decent combo.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

At one of the tracks where I race we run Legends with 1 Cell SMC Lipo and either 13.5 brushless or Trinity Spec 27 turn motors. The track is short high banked and very fast. We are turning laps in the 3.4 second range.

This is spec class and we run the Legend with spec tires, 1 Cell SMC Lipo or Trinity 4 Cell pack, 13.5 brushless or Trinity Spec motor. We run 4 minutes heats, 5 minute mains, no booster, no reciever pack. I am only using a 1000 or less MAH in a race. Re-charging between heats is not a problem. The combinations are all equally fast depending on how you gear them. Lipo requires more gear to get the power down.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks again. More info, great! I really appreciate all the input!!

Eddie_E, what size track were you racing on? would help to compare to the 65'x35' track we race on. What size pinion and spur gear are you using?

nutz4rcyktw, are you referring to the Trinity Street Spec motor? and the same question regarding gearing as above.

Thanks