Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!! XRAY Shock Shaft O Ring!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default HELP!! XRAY Shock Shaft O Ring!!

What does it mean on the XRAY Basic Rubber Tire Setup Sheet,? Not to use the shock shaft o ring? Which one is it? I have been trying to get 25% rebound and it is impossible.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I think it means a o ring under the piston for less down travel...I could be wrong
Old 12-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzo416
What does it mean on the XRAY Basic Rubber Tire Setup Sheet,? Not to use the shock shaft o ring? Which one is it? I have been trying to get 25% rebound and it is impossible.
Drill a hole in the shock cap. You will have 20 percent rebound and a very consistent shock.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jammincrtjames
Drill a hole in the shock cap. You will have 20 percent rebound and a very consistent shock.
how big a hole and where exactly isnt there a ball joint behind the cap cheers
Old 12-22-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I drilled a 1mm hole in my cap just below the pivot ball at an angle that exits in the center of the cap. My shocks now have zero rebound and I think they're great.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammincrtjames
If you want to get a dead shock, where do you drill the hole?

- Directly through the shock cap straight up through the top
or
- On a 45 degree angle coming out of the top

Do you still bleed the shocks from the bottom until you have no rebound? Any help is appreciated

From another forum member...

i use the 2nd smallest drill bit included with a dremel set (not sure the size.. but i bet Google might know) and make about a hole at a 60 degree. i start a little under the mount point for the shock. the hole w/in the shock cavity almost everytime ends up dead center.

once you have this hole you wouldn't need to bleed the shocks. they are instantly dead and PERFECT!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

With no rebound, car reacts too slow. You need to have fast rebound for better reaction.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I use the bottom cap to bleed the shock till I get the desired rebound...works great.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

You don't need to drill anything, just follow the instruction manual and it turns up fine every time.

Make sure you don't damage the shock shaft when you screw in the bottom ball cup.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ioxqq
With no rebound, car reacts too slow. You need to have fast rebound for better reaction.
It makes more sense to me to tune the suspension feel by use of the springs rather then the amount of air in the shock bladder.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
It makes more sense to me to tune the suspension feel by use of the springs rather then the amount of air in the shock bladder.
I agree.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Don't get me wrong I don't mean build with air inside. I mean rebound is good for rc car. I have tested it in many times. Rebound is necessary.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzo416
Shock bleeding is an art. It takes practice.
Maybe build some shocks without the intention of putting them on the car right away. Bleed the just for the practice of getting batches that match.

Niznai said it right, I forgot how to bleed these shocks until I reread the instructions, then it was cake.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gacjr0
Shock bleeding is an art. It takes practice.
Maybe build some shocks without the intention of putting them on the car right away. Bleed the just for the practice of getting batches that match.

Niznai said it right, I forgot how to bleed these shocks until I reread the instructions, then it was cake.

The Xray shocks are some of the best things there are in R/C today, and I really don't think one can improve much on them. You just need to trust their instructions and that they know what they're talking about and you'll see they know their stuff.

Art is when you write poetry, not when doing shocks. The Xray manual demonstrates that myths about the need to have a good command of black art in setting/tunning your car are dispelled as soon as a proper explanation is given. Leave art/magic for people who can not explain what they're doing (more often than not because they can't understand themselves). Or for those who write poetry.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Rebound isn't tuned with how much air is in the shock bladder, its how much oil is inside the shock body. There is a big difference between having damper rebound, and simply going up to the next stiffer setting in your springs, either by the spring itself, or shock position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.