Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

millbank, that setup rocked for me last weekend just follow it to a t . worked well with 17.5 as well as mod . the shock are 2hole fronts and three hole for the rear ,sorry to high jack your thread paul but i think your on to something!!!!!!! good luck at birds paul see you soon at nats!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Xpress
FYI,

The Sprecher is purchased! See ya in a week.
Cool, see ya!

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
They did notice the track lost a little traction, but not as much as I did. Also I did notice I tore a tire but not real bad. I also notices one of the front tires did come unglued after looking at it today. The tires have a few runs on them. I'm thinking they are wore out, but I'm new to rubber tire and just not sure of a way to tell if it's the tire or not. I'm thinking it was.

JG
sounds like it was a combination of tires and track to me, Good luck!

Originally Posted by millbank
Hi Paul
I'm running the t3'11 and was looking for a good basic carpet set up. I have looked at yours on the xray site and was wondering about the shocks. Would that be 3 holes or 1 hole in the piston?
Also reading on here that you are running -75 all round now and would this work with basic set up?
Many thanks in advance Jay.
Hi, the shocks on that set up call for 2 hole front and 3 hole rear. i would try the whole set up, shocks, hexs, roll centers and 1deg rear hubs being the focal point so make sure to get it all on their. Thanks

Originally Posted by bigdadracing
millbank, that setup rocked for me last weekend just follow it to a t . worked well with 17.5 as well as mod . the shock are 2hole fronts and three hole for the rear ,sorry to high jack your thread paul but i think your on to something!!!!!!! good luck at birds paul see you soon at nats!!!!!
Thanks Russ!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

hi paul.
just a quick question about the hex's. it says +75 and -75 on the set up sheet, what its this? if they are different hex's where can you get them?
Thanks jay
Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi paul.
just a quick question about the hex's. it says +75 and -75 on the set up sheet, what its this? if they are different hex's where can you get them?
Thanks jay
They are optional hexes that Xray sells.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Drag Brake

Paul, do you ever use drag brake in your ESC?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Gravity RC

hi paul.
Thanks jay
Hi Jay. The hexs are a Xray option part, here are the part numbers if it helps, they come two per package. Thanks!

- .75mm hexs: 305351
+.75mm hexs: 305352

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
Paul, do you ever use drag brake in your ESC?
Hi.
yes i do, it depends on the motor set up (natural drag brake of motor) and gearing, but on my Lrp i normally start at value 2 or 3.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

hi paul.
Thanks jay
Millbank, to run the +.75 set up xray also make a .75 axial shim to widen the track width. They are a little cheaper and quick to put on and pull off. If you want to go narrower, you have no choice but to buy the -.75 hexes. Both are great to have for tuning.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Paul, what would your tire prep be for Jaco Blue's on carpet?, and would it be the same for asphalt? I am currently cleaning my tires after my run with WD40 and then saucing them with Jack.

For chassis roll, is there ever a point where a car could over roll and kill your corner speed?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by ChadB.
Paul, what would your tire prep be for Jaco Blue's on carpet?, and would it be the same for asphalt? I am currently cleaning my tires after my run with WD40 and then saucing them with Jack.

For chassis roll, is there ever a point where a car could over roll and kill your corner speed?

Thanks for your help.

Hi.
For carpet saucing i normally just use the sauce for everything. at big races we almost always have a spec sauce, so i will simply clean the tires with sauce then sauce after. i could definately see your wd40 then sauce working very well also.
for asphalt i will normally clean the tire with Fx2 or something abrasive then sauce with a thicker oil like Tweak, Lrp top grip asphalt, MR 33 or any other thick oil sauce. using a small amount of the oill and rubbing it in with my fingers to a glaze, then let air dry and run. that is the safest way to ensure good traction on almost any asphalt track. you can use warmers and apply more oil and or Fx2 to achieve even better grip but it is very hard for me to do it well every time, and when it is wrong it can make for very bad traction.

As for chassis roll i think the answer is yes, but i think it depends on how it rolls. i think you can have two cars that both drag the chassis for what we will call maximum roll but the two cars can be rolling differently and different amounts to get to that point. some cars can roll "down and in" and some cars can roll more top heavy "up and over". if i am going to have a car roll so much to where the chassis is dragging i want to roll more down and in, this way it is not unloading the inner suspension as much to get it to roll to that point. sometimes i will be at races where i know my car is rolling a lot BC of the chassis drag but it is really hard to see the car rolling around on the track, to me this means that the car is doinga good job of rolling down and in BC you cant physically see the car leaning over threw the corner nearly as much.

Thanks. Paul
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Hey paul could you explain what putting a +.75 or -.75 hex on either end of the car does to its handling please? I am looking at changing the balance of the handling of my car slightly and was wondering if these would do what i want. Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by John_S
Hey paul could you explain what putting a +.75 or -.75 hex on either end of the car does to its handling please? I am looking at changing the balance of the handling of my car slightly and was wondering if these would do what i want. Thanks

Hi John. here is my rundown on hexs without going in to too much detail.

If you go wider hex only in the front the car will have less entry corner steering and more exit corner steering and the car will roll a touch more on the rear.

if you go narrower hex only in the front your car will have more steering entering the corner and less steering exiting the corner, and the car will roll a touch more over the front end.

if you go narrower only in the rear your car will roll more over the rear and have less exit corner steering.

if you go wider only in the rear your car will roll more over the front and have more exit corner steering.

if you go wider in the front and narrower in the rear at the same time your car will just push more and not effect the ballance of entry or exit steering much.

if you go narrower in the front and wider in the rear your car will pick up overall steering and not effect the ballance entry corner or exit corner steering much.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks alot for that Paul. That's exactly what I'm after
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Paul - How do you spray bomb a 1/8 body white in the middle of winter??
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by John_S
Thanks alot for that Paul. That's exactly what I'm after
no problem!

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Hey Paul - How do you spray bomb a 1/8 body white in the middle of winter??
I not know what one Joshua speak of.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Colisium frederick md High grip asphault setup

Hi paul,

Is there a T3 setup that would be a good starting point for very high grip asphault like the Colisium in Frederick MD?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.