Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Customworksking
sup paul long time no c! hope all is well..Kevin
Hi KB!, yea man it has. will i see you at any races coming up?
Originally Posted by PDX-Spike
Paul,

Thanks for attending the Xray Challenge race in Portland last year. It was a pleasure to meet you at that event.

Since you don't have an "Ask Paul Lemieux" thread on the Nitro On-Road forum, I thought I'd ask this question here.

I was looking at your setup sheets for the '09 Capitol Classic and the '09 Gas Nationals (congrats on winning both) and have a question about roll center settings on the NT1.

The information indicates that you set the roll center inserts to LOW in both front and rear. However, the rear camber link has a pretty large spacer at the rear block and a very low position on the tower. Both of these settings (according to the setup book) RAISE the roll center.

How fine are the adjustments made by the camber link angle and position? How much would you have to increase the angle of the camber link to equal moving up one notch with the inserts?

Thanks for any info you can offer.
Hi. no problem glad you had fun at the race. if this is not clear you can PM me and ill call you.

with the hinge pin inserts i always run full low in the rear for the lowest "pin" roll center in the rear, and i always run the full high inserts in the front, this is also the lowest roll center. the major angle in the rear link does raise the roll center in the rear.
Rear end question:
If i had to take a stab at it i would say that 1mm less shims on the rear camber link equals one position lower on paper, but works totally different on the track, I used that many shimms on the hub to get the tires to wear how i felt they needed to, and also to gain entry corner steering. but that being said i would not use that many shimms if i werent using the full low pin insert. then the camber gain would be even greater.

Originally Posted by Clint161
When you say "thicker shock oil in the rear and thinner in the front".
Do you mean thicker than what you normally run in the rear or thicker than the front....... as you always seem to run a thicker oil in the front?
Hi. i do normally use thicker oil in the front, but i think thinner front oil would work the front tires less and possibly euual more steering at the end of 5 min or atleast a better ballance threw out the run, this is all based on the assumption that your front tires are overheating and causing the car to develope a push. I guess i really dont know, if you go thicker in the rear or softer in the front you should get a feel for the direction and go from there, if it helps.

Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER
WOW on the third page I thought I'd just bump you back to the front page Paulie looking forward to the reedy man see you then
Thanks man, see you in a couple weeks!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Paul says:

" with the hinge pin inserts i always run full low in the rear for the lowest "pin" roll center in the rear, and i always run the full high inserts in the front, this is also the lowest roll center. the major angle in the rear link does raise the roll center in the rear.
Rear end question:
If i had to take a stab at it i would say that 1mm less shims on the rear camber link equals one position lower on paper, but works totally different on the track, I used that many shimms on the hub to get the tires to wear how i felt they needed to, and also to gain entry corner steering. but that being said i would not use that many shimms if i werent using the full low pin insert. then the camber gain would be even greater."

Think I got it, Paul. Thanks.

LONG LIVE TEAM POP-A-TOP!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by PDX-Spike
Paul says:

" with the hinge pin inserts i always run full low in the rear for the lowest "pin" roll center in the rear, and i always run the full high inserts in the front, this is also the lowest roll center. the major angle in the rear link does raise the roll center in the rear.
Rear end question:
If i had to take a stab at it i would say that 1mm less shims on the rear camber link equals one position lower on paper, but works totally different on the track, I used that many shimms on the hub to get the tires to wear how i felt they needed to, and also to gain entry corner steering. but that being said i would not use that many shimms if i werent using the full low pin insert. then the camber gain would be even greater."

Think I got it, Paul. Thanks.

LONG LIVE TEAM POP-A-TOP!

Yup, this is for Nitro.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey paul, just wondering if you were going to beat the heat in Memphis this year?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by KevinHawk
Hey paul, just wondering if you were going to beat the heat in Memphis this year?
Hi Kevin, I dont think that i will because it is very close to the worlds. or atleast that is what i was told.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul..you have mail bro...
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi Kevin, I dont think that i will because it is very close to the worlds. or atleast that is what i was told.
Well I mean, you could blow the worlds off and go.... Nah j/k good luck at the worlds.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Gitsum
Paul..you have mail bro...
Did you Pm Me ?

Originally Posted by KevinHawk
Well I mean, you could blow the worlds off and go.... Nah j/k good luck at the worlds.
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Nope no PM was an actual email to you lol but i'll hit ya with a Pm as well...

Last edited by Gitsum; 05-10-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Gitsum
Nope no PM was an actual email to you lol but i'll hit ya with a Pm as well...
Huh, i thought i got back to you. my brain must be falling out!. ill PM you so we can squair it away over the phone. sorry.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Hey paul

i have a question

i am going to try modified for a race and i want some set up help

what changes should i make to my car away from my stock 13.5 settings ??

cheeRS Phil
Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
Hey paul

i have a question

i am going to try modified for a race and i want some set up help

what changes should i make to my car away from my stock 13.5 settings ??

cheeRS Phil
I wouldnt change anything to start with, just make sure you have 3degs of rear toe. when i run stock i dont change anything on my car and it always works well. Mod will be harder to drive but the car should push more entering the corner because you will be trying to charge the corner with more speed.
Im sure that you will change stuff on the set up for mod but only to correct things that the car is not doing well, the only "mod" setting is the need for 3deg of toe to try and hook the car up under power.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ball diff

Paul

How do you know where to adjust your rear ball diff? I'm running pretty middle of the road setup on a t2 (carpet and occasional asphalt). I just dont know what the pros and cons are for a loose diff vs a tight diff?

If anyone else has good info please lay it on me.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Wonton; 05-24-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Hey Paul, I wanted to thank you for all of your advice. Having rarely run mod or much rubber tire I was able to win a regional trophy race recently which was nice after not running much in the past few years. I have to say, now with brushless and lipo, and also rubber tire, it will be interesting to see if mod catches on more, as you do not need to go a race with a bunch of motors and stick to be quasi competitive. As a long time stock and 19t turn driver it is seems a lot more managable to run mod at the club race level and consider it for big races, and a few other people have been commenting on it as well.

I had one more rubber tire question for you... Have you tried the HPI springs on the T3 on recently on any xray cars? I have always noticed that a lot of people run them on their cars regardless of chassis (and thus suspension geometry) on asphalt, and was wondering what the difference was and if you knew what they were approxametly equal to compared to the xray black springs (in terms of lbs/inch oppose to their feel, as I assume it has to do with them being progressive in a different way or how it affects the feel)

Thank you very much and good luck at the Reedy Race!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Wonton
Paul

How do you know where to adjust your rear ball diff? I'm running pretty middle of the road setup on a t2 (carpet and occasional asphalt). I just dont know what the pros and cons are for a loose diff vs a tight diff?

If anyone else has good info please lay it on me.

Thanks for the help
Hi, i always run my rear diff as free as i can get it without it slipping on throttle. their is no such thing as a diff that is too free. so basicly i will work on a diff untill it is as free feeling as possible but dose not slip on power. the big trick to it is sanding the diff rings, this helps the balls grip the rings without having to run the diff as tight, this way it will still be free.
if your rear diff was too tight your car would push a touch when you are just going in to the corner then it would get very loose coming out.

Originally Posted by stormperson
Hey Paul, I wanted to thank you for all of your advice. Having rarely run mod or much rubber tire I was able to win a regional trophy race recently which was nice after not running much in the past few years. I have to say, now with brushless and lipo, and also rubber tire, it will be interesting to see if mod catches on more, as you do not need to go a race with a bunch of motors and stick to be quasi competitive. As a long time stock and 19t turn driver it is seems a lot more managable to run mod at the club race level and consider it for big races, and a few other people have been commenting on it as well.

I had one more rubber tire question for you... Have you tried the HPI springs on the T3 on recently on any xray cars? I have always noticed that a lot of people run them on their cars regardless of chassis (and thus suspension geometry) on asphalt, and was wondering what the difference was and if you knew what they were approxametly equal to compared to the xray black springs (in terms of lbs/inch oppose to their feel, as I assume it has to do with them being progressive in a different way or how it affects the feel)

Thank you very much and good luck at the Reedy Race!

Hi, Im flying your way today. ill talk to you at the track. gotta get to the airport.

see ya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.