Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Paul, so happy I got to finally meet you. Thank you for taking time to help fellow racers at the birds. I was curious if you could inform me what is the motive behind drag brake with mod touring. Do you run any? How much? And how much push brake do you use? Thank You Chad
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

I ask kevin h. Same question. Do u prefer U.S. style or euro carpet track
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L

Hi Peakki. Having the steering links like that seems to give me a bit more steering in the corner. The other layout which you saw I think was made by Eric Anderson. Alex and i ran the standard stuff.

Thanks
Do you have some shims between servo and servo mounts, or between links and saver or between servo and servosaver?

I'll try this setting on the weekend.

What about front end settings in general, are you running 3mm longer upper link or something else? Caster?
A setup sheet from the race would be nice
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by schreff
Paulie...

2 things...

#1. Ficco wants a rematch in the cheese curl contest. We'll have an official bag ready for you 2 at the Nats.

#2. Where's the fist!?
Hey Schreff.

First off Ficco has no chance in the cheese puff comp lol. I believe the fist in in one of two places, either back on Ehrlich's mantle or in Sweden somewhere, i get the feeling we will know more soon.

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I wasn't sure if you saw I would be running a T3'12. Were you suggesting that I use Hardman's set up from last years Birds, or is there another '12 setup you start with?
Yea I missed that. i suppose that Alex's winning set up from the 2012 birds would be good then, Maybe try that.

Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy
Paul, so happy I got to finally meet you. Thank you for taking time to help fellow racers at the birds. I was curious if you could inform me what is the motive behind drag brake with mod touring. Do you run any? How much? And how much push brake do you use? Thank You Chad
Hi Chad. No problem!
In Mod TC i always use drag brake. I dont like to use push brake very much so i will use more drag brake than most. I just find it easier to be consistent that way. so if you feel that you are good at using push brake their is less reason to use drag brake. It seems like whenever i run really fast i use very little to no push brake, but the car and layout has to be perfect for me to use none. 15% drag brake is where i would start out with just about any speedo.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by rosko
I ask kevin h. Same question. Do u prefer U.S. style or euro carpet track
Hi. I prefer US style board tracks but only BC that is just what i am used to. Boards allow me to drive more like "connect the dots" to not crash. on euro style tracks i feel like you need to have more fluid lines and it is always a bit hard for me to adjust.

Originally Posted by Peakki
Do you have some shims between servo and servo mounts, or between links and saver or between servo and servosaver?

I'll try this setting on the weekend.

What about front end settings in general, are you running 3mm longer upper link or something else? Caster?
A setup sheet from the race would be nice
The servo is mounted behind the posts with the ball studs coming out the front of the servo saver. I ended up with 1mm also shimming the ball studs forward more on the servo saver.
Yes i used 3mm's of shimm's to make the upper arm longer (less steering/easier to drive). caster was in the middle.

I will do a set up sheet now.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

for the record, 11 cheese puffs is all i could fit. paul matched my 11 with room to spare. i am hereby withdrawing from the cheese puff rematch, due to stretched mouth corners, and high cholesterol.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by al dente
for the record, 11 cheese puffs is all i could fit. paul matched my 11 with room to spare. i am hereby withdrawing from the cheese puff rematch, due to stretched mouth corners, and high cholesterol.
I had no idea the fist was high in cholesterol!

Always learning something in here... thanks Paul!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Schreff.

The servo is mounted behind the posts with the ball studs coming out the front of the servo saver. I ended up with 1mm also shimming the ball studs forward more on the servo saver.
Yes i used 3mm's of shimm's to make the upper arm longer (less steering/easier to drive). caster was in the middle.

Thanks!
Is this servo placement for weight distribution?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Paul...which do you prefer? Euro Fist or Americian fist? And is size a deciding factor????
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Clint161
Is this servo placement for weight distribution?
Honestly, it just kinda ended up that way and it leaves me more room for my receiver on the speedo side.

Originally Posted by Racecarguy
Paul...which do you prefer? Euro Fist or Americian fist? And is size a deciding factor????
lol
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

H

Thanks!
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=71&setup=x12

Did you have one hole in piston or std 2 holes?
Why to raise the side links?
What are RCA green side springs?

And why to have the shock more angled?

I'm having European Championships race next month and I'm struggling with turn-in.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=72&setup=x12
My setup is that.
The carpet is a bit tricky, not high grip but you really have to drive on power or otherwise the car locks up and the rear end is like with handbrake on.
Very hard to drive on-power/off-power, on every car make on model.
Also, the carpet gets moist from the tire additives and don't get any faster though.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peakki
What are RCA green side springs?
I can answer this one. RC America sells a spring kit. http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=4145 Comes with a little larger set screw, metal spring mount and 5 pair of springs, Softest to hardest are White, Red, Green, Purple, and Black.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi. this is all for blinky 17.5. for TC i would go with 30-35deg timing and start with a 3.7 overall ratio. for 12th scale i would also go blue rotor with 30deg timing and gear at a 89mm roll out. with a 42mm tire size that would be roughly a 70 spur with a 47 pinion.

Thanks
Paul,

First off let me tell you THANKS! It's great how you make yourself available to all of us. Now my questions:

Why do you recommend the blue rotor instead of the green? I have been reading in the 1/12 thread and was told green is the way to go.

Second, where can you get a 70 spur? I run an X12 and I have to run a 74. 72 are never in stock from precision and I have not seen a 70. Tried a 72 from CRC but diff would not tighten up, and yes I also bought new diff balls since it uses smaller ones. Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 48 pitch vs 64 pitch

My question to is pointed towards understanding the differance between the two and would like to experiment with them both , but I hear 64 pitch is more popular than 48 pitch and if so could you explain your take this subject. ..team trinity p.j
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tnewlon
Paul,

First off let me tell you THANKS! It's great how you make yourself available to all of us. Now my questions:

Why do you recommend the blue rotor instead of the green? I have been reading in the 1/12 thread and was told green is the way to go.

Second, where can you get a 70 spur? I run an X12 and I have to run a 74. 72 are never in stock from precision and I have not seen a 70. Tried a 72 from CRC but diff would not tighten up, and yes I also bought new diff balls since it uses smaller ones. Thanks
OT, but see if using an unflanged bearing against the pinned side of the hub lets you tighten down on the CRC 72.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
OT, but see if using an unflanged bearing against the pinned side of the hub lets you tighten down on the CRC 72.
Not sure I follow I don't recall flanged bearings in the diff assembly. Maybe I'm missing what you are saying. I would love to be able to run the CRC diff but tore up an axel trying to tighten it up. It would not work on my sons 12R5.1 either. I now have 2 new assemblies with ceramic balls that I cannot use, ugh. PM me with any info. Don't want this taking up space on Pauls thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.