R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #1351
Tech Adept

Default Hello Paul L

Just wondering if u had run a lrp xtec motors just want to knoe whats the different between the lrp 4.5t and the thunder power 4.5t in terms of power .. Or either turn motor between this two brands .
sham55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #1352
Tech Regular

Hi Paul,

Do you ever run anti squat on your cars? If so, what does it usually do to the balance, I remember back in the day ALL cars used to run it, whereas now, no one seems to?
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #1353
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Paul, how do you measure 10mms behind the bumper?
Hi. I first take a tall straight edge and stand it up behind the car, I then allign the straight edge with the wing (upper most lip of the wing). then i use a hudy droop block which is 10mm and slip it between the straight edge and the rear most bumper. it will be within 1mm every time. If you are having problems holding everything straight while measuring you can use double sided tape on the wing to hold the wings position while measuring, then just re-set the tape untill you get your proper 10mm. once its straight you can partially ream threw the wing, tape and bairly in to the body to make your dimples, remoove the tape, ream the holes properly then your all set.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
hey Paul, what's up buddy?

its been awhile how are you and and how's racing??

i got few question since a couple of friends are running on an asphalt track near Dubai and i might go over there.

1-is the protoform mazda speed 6 still the body to use??

2-the track is quiet big with two main straights, straight is about 60 meters long, if running a 4.5T motor, what spur/pinion do you recommend??

3- they spray the track with water/sugar, shall i use sauce or not??

4- the car still have your vegas set-up for carpet, how about a new one for asphalt, mid traction, big with highspeed turns??!!

5- how is the gear diff for asphalt and what oil do you run for asphalt??

cheers buddy

Ali
Hi Ali, good to hear from you!.

1 The Mazda speed 6 is still the most well rounded body for me.

2 60 meters is quite big so timing in the speedo may be nessissary to reach the speeds capible of that size track, i do not have a ton of experience with this but here is where i would start if i had to go with my exact equipment right now. monitor temps carefully at first.
Thunderpower 4.5, Fan on motor.
LRP Sxx V2 speedo,with fan.
Gearing for xray 114/27 or 8.0 overall ratio.
motor timing 15deg
speedo setting 2,2,5,4

3 yes use sauce.

4 I would look at my 2011 reedy race set up, normally on asphalt you need to have your car set up with more steering than carpet.

5 rear gear diff is good for asphalt also. 1000cst is the norm, if you want more rotation you can go softer, if the track is big and sweeping and your car has pleanty of steering you could go to 1500 or 2000, then it would allow you to motor around faster. but if the car is pushing, you will want to stay around 1000 in the rear.

No problem, Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham55 View Post
Just wondering if u had run a lrp xtec motors just want to knoe whats the different between the lrp 4.5t and the thunder power 4.5t in terms of power .. Or either turn motor between this two brands .
Hi. I have not run the Lrp motor at all, so i can not say without speculating. I will say that i think the Thunderpower motors are good though.
Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
Hi Paul,

Do you ever run anti squat on your cars? If so, what does it usually do to the balance, I remember back in the day ALL cars used to run it, whereas now, no one seems to?

As you are saying, i did used to run anti squait quite a bit also. i have not tested it with todays power and weight cars. I will make an effort to get to the track sometime soon to test it. so maybe ask again in a couple of weeks.
If you test it, let me know.

Thanks.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #1354
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Craig W Send a message via Skype™ to Craig W

hi paul

if you were running 17.5t thunder power with lrp what setting would you run please
Craig W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #1355
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

thanks alot buddy,

will let you know how it works

cheers

Ali
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #1356
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
hi paul

if you were running 17.5t thunder power with lrp what setting would you run please
If i ran 17.5 it would be blinky, with a 4.0 overall ratio to start.

Boosted i suppose i would try a 6.5 ratio with 2,6,6,3. but honestly im not sure how close that would be anymore.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
thanks alot buddy,

will let you know how it works

cheers

Ali
no problem!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #1357
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Paul just got my Xray 2012, when you switch car do you basically put your set up on the new car or you go by the stock setup that comes with it ?
My old t3 is pretty much dial on our local track, just wondering'
And also any suggestion for the new 2012 that we have to be concern about
Thanks
"Xray T3 2012"
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #1358
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
Hi Paul just got my Xray 2012, when you switch car do you basically put your set up on the new car or you go by the stock setup that comes with it ?
My old t3 is pretty much dial on our local track, just wondering'
And also any suggestion for the new 2012 that we have to be concern about
Thanks
Hi. I would start with your set up from the old car. with every new car it normally takes a little something different to get it perfect. I just posted My Med bite carpet set up on the xray site (2011 fall classic). It worked well at that track but rolled a lot at my local track, so you may just take a look at it.
Concerns, I have none. It went together really well for me.

Thanks!.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #1359
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Craig W Send a message via Skype™ to Craig W

hi paul

can you help with some speedo setting plz for 17.5t boosted and 13.5t boosted in tc with tekin and speedpassion esc plz racing on 16x30 and 2030 mtr carpet track
Craig W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #1360
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

Speaking of the Fall Classic race, what sort of changes did you make for that track vs a typical high bite carpet track?

You seem to run the MazdaSpeed6 almost everywhere, but I noticed a lot of people using the P37 and LTC @ the Fall Classic. Do you have any comments on what body you think suits the surface and traction level @ Mikes in Dallas?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #1361
Tech Elite

Paul, how would you describe the effects of the different length links using the new upper clamps?
What effect are you after if you shorten/lengthen the rear links etc?

Thanks
Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #1362
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
hi paul

can you help with some speedo setting plz for 17.5t boosted and 13.5t boosted in tc with tekin and speedpassion esc plz racing on 16x30 and 2030 mtr carpet track
Hi Craig. I dont race 17.5 or 13.5 boosted, and i have never run threw those speedos with stock motors. so i really have no clue, their is 100ways to set up a boosted system.

If by any chance you decide to run Non boosted it is much easier. 4.8-5.0 for 13.5 to start..
3.8-4.0 for 17.5 to start.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Hi Paul,

Speaking of the Fall Classic race, what sort of changes did you make for that track vs a typical high bite carpet track?

You seem to run the MazdaSpeed6 almost everywhere, but I noticed a lot of people using the P37 and LTC @ the Fall Classic. Do you have any comments on what body you think suits the surface and traction level @ Mikes in Dallas?
Hi. for changes, I used softer shock oil to get the chassis roll up, i used less front camber and more rear camber than i normally would on a super high bite track, the car was more front heavy than i normally would run and i used standard hexs where i normally use narrow rear. those were the major changes that i thought helped me get good traction and roll.
I did not test the other bodys at Mikes but i plan to run the speed 6 at the nats. It just has good ballance to me. If i were out of ideas on chassis testing then i would go back to testing the different PF bodys.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Paul, how would you describe the effects of the different length links using the new upper clamps?
What effect are you after if you shorten/lengthen the rear links etc?

Thanks
Skiddins
Hi. my rule of thumb is this.
Longer = more traction and more roll.
shorter = less traction and less roll.

for me if i go short rear and long front the car has the most steering.
If you need the car to be easy to drive you will want to be long rear and short front. also short in the front really helps the front end of the car stay UP and drive nice in switcbacks also.
But lately i have run them all over, its really nice to tune with.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #1363
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default diff oil

Paul, what's the advantage of the different diff oils? I seen where you ran 500 weight in Texas and most everyone I talk to is running 1000 or 2000. I did some testing with 2000 and the car had tons of on power steering, it would drive very good and I could pit it anywhere I needed. I then changed to 1000 and the on power steering went away but my lap times picked up?

Thanks,

JG
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #1364
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default 2012

Last edited by haywood; 11-27-2011 at 07:47 PM.
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #1365
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Paul;
A good friend of Deiter's (Jim Bostrom) just passed away and I am looking for Deiter's phone number. Could you PM me his number so I can give hime the details.
Thanks.,
Bob Oaks
PM name is bobO
bob o is offline   Reply With Quote