Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Xray t3 2011

Will your mod setup work for me in non boosted 17.5? To run 5mm of spacers on the rear hub and 2mm in front do you grind down the screw head to clear the inside of the rim? Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default ball vs. gear diff

hi paul,

just wondering your thoughts on ball diff vs. gear diff on carpet. Just started up carpet season and most people say to switch back to the ball diff....running 17.5 blinky tc class with a t2011, havent had a chance to test much with the two back to back, but was wondering what you would suggest as a good oil weight to start with using the gear diff

thanks eric lee
Old 09-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by TheZoof
Thanks for the information. That's a great idea. One follow up question... I will be running a couple of sedan classes. Do you think it would be a good idea to run one set of tires on both cars during practice. That would mean I have one really worn set that potentially could perform better and a few one runs, if needed.

I have never seen a tire that reacted that way. I am used to the 2nd run being the fastest and after that performance going down...

Yup... see you at Vegas! should be fun...
I think that is a good idea. these races can be tricky because the groove is different being built up on brand new carpet so quickly, but if i had to guess i would say that in the end second run tires will be pretty good. but the year that i won i used the same set from practice to final ?

No problem

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I think i will be out this saturday, see ya

Originally Posted by jake95
hi,
paul i was wondering if you knew what the new T3"12 will be like when it comes out some people are saying it will be like the 2011 with updated parts was just wondering.also do you use some sort of shock slime to built shocks.also for the gear diff do you use and sort of grease on the outdrives.
thanks
jake

Hi Jake. I dont know what it will look like, They know not to tell me BC i would blab lol. I can only guess it will include a new chassis and top deck (we have been testing many new ones), gear diff, maybe different steering parts, maybe the new bulk head clamps. Their are many other possibilities that i have seen but that is my guess. Again just speculation.

I dont use any grease, i just coat everything in silicone oil. Silicone is not a great lubricant but i think it is ok in these situations, or atleast i have not had any faliures in the areas where i do that.

Thanks

Originally Posted by haywood
Will your mod setup work for me in non boosted 17.5? To run 5mm of spacers on the rear hub and 2mm in front do you grind down the screw head to clear the inside of the rim? Thanks
I do think that my mod set up will work well in 17.5. whenever i slap in a 17.5 my car still drives really well. the rule of thumb is that the slower the motor the more steering the car will have, so maybe if it is edgy you can run less front camber or something.

For the camberlinks i run the Xray ball studs with the open ended ball cups, with these you can get 5mm under most wheels. Thanks

Originally Posted by elee32
hi paul,

just wondering your thoughts on ball diff vs. gear diff on carpet. Just started up carpet season and most people say to switch back to the ball diff....running 17.5 blinky tc class with a t2011, havent had a chance to test much with the two back to back, but was wondering what you would suggest as a good oil weight to start with using the gear diff

thanks eric lee
Hi Eric. I still think that the gear diff is faster on carpet, but like on asphalt it is harder to drive. If you want your car to be easier to drive i would still consitter a ball diff but you could loose a .1 on your hot lap. I normally find 2,000 in the rear to be the best on carpet so i would start their.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Hudy setup station

I have one on order and I have heard rumors that it is actually off + or - .05 degrees. Is that true? I think Hara mentioned it too.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by haywood
I have one on order and I have heard rumors that it is actually off + or - .05 degrees. Is that true? I think Hara mentioned it too.
I always refrence my set up guages in my set up sheets and at the track so i dont know how the guages compair to varuois other guages, but its possible.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Good luck at IIC Paul!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

thankyou paul and good luck at iic

Last edited by jake95; 09-28-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

Can you shoot me an email at [email protected]

Linda has been trying to call you but both numbers we have are no longer working....

Thanks, Jeff
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Mini-Mod
Good luck at IIC Paul!
Originally Posted by jake95
thankyou paul and good luck at iic

Thanks guys, im sure i will need it!!

Originally Posted by RCTVLIVE
Hi Paul,

Can you shoot me an email at [email protected]

Linda has been trying to call you but both numbers we have are no longer working....

Thanks, Jeff
sent, Thanks Jeff
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Paulie...are you going to THE TRACK before heading to IIC..? If so...see you this SAT...(Howard).
Old 09-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Solara
Paulie...are you going to THE TRACK before heading to IIC..? If so...see you this SAT...(Howard).
Hi Howard. Im planning on coming to the series race tomorrow, I doubt that i will race but i would like to throw my stuff down again before vegas. See ya!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

Did you notice the difference between a quick camber adjustment ie camber gauge v setup station? I can see some pretty major differences when I try them both out on the car. Which method is more accurate?

Thanks
Adrian
Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vazzo
Hi Paul,

Did you notice the difference between a quick camber adjustment ie camber gauge v setup station? I can see some pretty major differences when I try them both out on the car. Which method is more accurate?

Thanks
Adrian
Vazzo, always keen to find that out myself camber gauge or set up station going from set up wheels and quick gauge seems to add a deg more then a set up station.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

What changes do you find the shims on the outer end of the camber links make?

Does adding more shims increase initial or mid corner steering?

I ask as I require slightly more grip at the rear and was wondering if adding and removing shims would have the desired effect.

I am already running the wider front wishbone shims and the hex's mentioned in your carpet setups.

Skiddins
Old 10-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P.I.M.P
Vazzo, always keen to find that out myself camber gauge or set up station going from set up wheels and quick gauge seems to add a deg more then a set up station.
they seem to add one extra degree then the hudy setup station and as for setting toe it seems to add 0.5 each side toe in with hudy setup station when measure with digital calipers there is abit of a diffrence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.