R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #1021
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hey Paul, can you explain the difference between side and foward bite. Also I just purchased the Adj roll center clamps, what is the comparable position for the kit settings, frt & rr.

Last edited by rcfiend; 05-16-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Subscribe to thread
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #1022
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Thanks!
I am the one who should thank you.
Being a total newbie and receiving answers to your questions from a world class level competitor is something you do not find very often.
So again thank you for your patience and the help you are giving us.
taz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #1023
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
Hey Paul

I would like some set up advice for modified ,I have just made the jump from stock to mod and i am struggling to set the car up for it

the track is an outdoor track with medium grip , this is the layout here
(we drive away from you down the straight)

website here

http://www.amcaracing.nl/circuit/circuit.htm

Thanks for your help mate
Hi, cool track.
It is so rare that i ever get to race on a track like that so it will be hard for me to say what will work, but if i were to go their i would start with my worlds set up from last year on to the 011 car. I ran that set up at last years reedy, worlds and nationals and it worked all three times really well.
I will be starting with that set up again at the reedy race in a couple of weeks so i will know how it works on the new car soon.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...=1659&setup=t3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Hey Paul, can you explain the difference between side and foward bite. Also I just purchased the Adj roll center clamps, what is the comparable position for the kit settings, frt & rr.
Hi. forward bite and side bite definately work hand in hand, if i were going threw a corner in front of somebody at equal speed but coming off of the corner the car behind could pull me in, i would say that my car needs more forward bite. in many cases this could be my car just rolling too much threw the corner causing the car to not be in position to accelerate well or it could be tire prep or a number of other things. side bite to me is simply how much corner speed the car has, more side bite (as long as it is ballanced front and rear) the more corner speed the car will have.

I suggest starting with the new clamps at the middle legnth position with no shimms underneath the ball studs all the way around. with the middle suspension pin holders i would suggest 4mm under the hub on the outside of the rear and 1mm under the outer link at the caster block.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz00 View Post
I am the one who should thank you.
Being a total newbie and receiving answers to your questions from a world class level competitor is something you do not find very often.
So again thank you for your patience and the help you are giving us.
Lol, no problem!
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #1024
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi, cool track.
It is so rare that i ever get to race on a track like that so it will be hard for me to say what will work, but if i were to go their i would start with my worlds set up from last year on to the 011 car. I ran that set up at last years reedy, worlds and nationals and it worked all three times really well.
I will be starting with that set up again at the reedy race in a couple of weeks so i will know how it works on the new car soon.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...=1659&setup=t3
Hi Paul , thanks for the advice , this is the track for the dutch round of ETS this year , why do you run the front end so wide ? normally in stock i run the 1.15mm shims , now i have fitted the 1.5mm shims but i will test the wider front end , and what does the 2.5mm shims infront of the shocks ??

and what does laying the rear shocks down do ??? thanks Phil
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #1025
Tech Master

Quote:
Hi. forward bite and side bite definately work hand in hand, if i were going threw a corner in front of somebody at equal speed but coming off of the corner the car behind could pull me in, i would say that my car needs more forward bite. in many cases this could be my car just rolling too much threw the corner causing the car to not be in position to accelerate well or it could be tire prep or a number of other things. side bite to me is simply how much corner speed the car has, more side bite (as long as it is ballanced front and rear) the more corner speed the car will have.

I suggest starting with the new clamps at the middle legnth position with no shimms underneath the ball studs all the way around. with the middle suspension pin holders i would suggest 4mm under the hub on the outside of the rear and 1mm under the outer link at the caster block.

Thanks
Thanks Paul. I was under the impression that you could not run the 0 shims on the clamps because the ball stud would not seat completely. If that's the case Is there a work around for this?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #1026
Gravity RC

This morning we are all finding out about Mike Reedy passing away.
It is sad and i hope that everyone remembers forever what Mike has done for this hobby. Very many people and companys are where they are today in part by Mike's on and off track efforts. Mike always had a great outlook on Rc racing and his good nature never went un noticed to me.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #1027
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
Hi Paul , thanks for the advice , this is the track for the dutch round of ETS this year , why do you run the front end so wide ? normally in stock i run the 1.15mm shims , now i have fitted the 1.5mm shims but i will test the wider front end , and what does the 2.5mm shims infront of the shocks ??

and what does laying the rear shocks down do ??? thanks Phil
I normally like the wide front end BC it allows me to have a set up that rolls more evenly over the side. im not sure that it is the way to go all the time but i normally like it. The 2mm behind the shock is simply to get the shock verticle, i will always shim the shock on top or bottom of all my cars to get the shock to stand straight up.
Laying in the rear shocks will make the car more free threw the corner and normally carry more corner speed, but the car will be looser coming off the corner for sure. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Thanks Paul. I was under the impression that you could not run the 0 shims on the clamps because the ball stud would not seat completely. If that's the case Is there a work around for this?
Yes you are right, i would drill slightly in to the threads so the ball can be screwed all the way down, or you can just reef it all the way in like i did. lol.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #1028
Tech Master

Quote:
Yes you are right, i would drill slightly in to the threads so the ball can be screwed all the way down, or you can just reef it all the way in like i did. lol.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Paul.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #1029
Tech Rookie

Hi

could you tell me a setting for wet tracks

best regards
asier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #1030
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi there

I am notany where neer Pauls standard but i did use this set up a few tims in the rain, it works well and i also found if i use Simple green mixed 50/50 with water on the tyres i had so much grip it was untrue ;-)

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...=1751&setup=t3

but if Paul has some advice on my set up i will be glad to alter it ;-)
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #1031
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Dealer inquiry

Hi,

What's the best way to get a dealer application for our LHS with RCAmerica? We're currently using primarily GP & Horizon

Thanks.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #1032
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just shoot RCAmerica an E-Mail or Phone Call.