Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #781
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by infokiz View Post
Paul when you say "motor cleaner is one of the worst things you can use on tires for carpet" would this include non-chlorinated brake cleaner?
This is sortof a chemistry question so I'll help a little... Yes, it would include all brake cleaners. The idea behind Paul's statement is that any sort of strong solvent or cleaners such as brake, motor, electrical, carburetor etc will break down and remove the elastomers in the rubber taking away it's ability to conform and function as it's intended to.

With that said, I can tell you with a fair amount of confidence that you may not notice a decrease it in performance using harsh cleaners once or twice. It's the repeated use that will degrade the performance. Also, just because you have used them on a set of tires in that past doesn't mean they are toast. Most of the time running and prepping the tires correctly will bring the majority of the performance back because the oils in the tire additives begin to penetrate the rubber and work similar to the natural elastomers. That's not a rule of thumb per se, but unless the tires have completely dried out or started to crack and tear it will usually work.

Hope that helps and gives you added confidence in Paul's advice. I have yet to see him give poor advise.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #782
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogRacing View Post
This is sortof a chemistry question so I'll help a little... Yes, it would include all brake cleaners. The idea behind Paul's statement is that any sort of strong solvent or cleaners such as brake, motor, electrical, carburetor etc will break down and remove the elastomers in the rubber taking away it's ability to conform and function as it's intended to.

With that said, I can tell you with a fair amount of confidence that you may not notice a decrease it in performance using harsh cleaners once or twice. It's the repeated use that will degrade the performance. Also, just because you have used them on a set of tires in that past doesn't mean they are toast. Most of the time running and prepping the tires correctly will bring the majority of the performance back because the oils in the tire additives begin to penetrate the rubber and work similar to the natural elastomers. That's not a rule of thumb per se, but unless the tires have completely dried out or started to crack and tear it will usually work.

Hope that helps and gives you added confidence in Paul's advice. I have yet to see him give poor advise.
Kayla typed this out for you didnt she?

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #783
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ouch EA no confidence. lol
KevinHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #784
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogRacing View Post

What works good for me is using sause for cleaning. Put it on and wipe it off. This way no chemicals fight each other and the rubber stays happy

Last edited by nitrobeast; 01-14-2011 at 06:14 AM.
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #785
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Tires

Yes, I did this last week in practice and noticed a big traction gain by only using traction compound.

Here's what i did.

After running for 5 minutes bring the car in and coat all 4 tires with sauce. Then I wiped the sauce off with a rag taking most of the sauce and all the build up. Covered them up with the tire warmers and man they were sticky!
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #786
Gravity RC

Big Dog: Thanks for elaborating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Yes, I did this last week in practice and noticed a big traction gain by only using traction compound.

Here's what i did.

After running for 5 minutes bring the car in and coat all 4 tires with sauce. Then I wiped the sauce off with a rag taking most of the sauce and all the build up. Covered them up with the tire warmers and man they were sticky!

Sounds like a good suggestion to me, Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #787
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

I'm running a T3'11, 17.5 boosted on a technical medium grip carpet track. I'm running close to your Cleveland setup (except for 3 hole front pistons, 1.5mm shims for track width and no hexes) and it fits my driving style pretty well but am running into an issue. I have tons of low-speed steering but am lacking high speed steering, I've tried a couple of things but can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions of what you would look at first?

Thanks in advance.
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #788
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteStream View Post
Hi Paul,

I'm running a T3'11, 17.5 boosted on a technical medium grip carpet track. I'm running close to your Cleveland setup (except for 3 hole front pistons, 1.5mm shims for track width and no hexes) and it fits my driving style pretty well but am running into an issue. I have tons of low-speed steering but am lacking high speed steering, I've tried a couple of things but can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions of what you would look at first?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. well i dont know for sure if this will work but here is what i would do.
If you do those changes which is different from my set up, (hexs,shocks,2.25 front pin) the car should loose steering but especially low speed steering. from their you should be able to dial back in some overall steering with simple things like camber, tire treatment, rear toe and get it back. so basicly we would be making it push more low speed then try to make it steer more all around. if that makes any sence, lol.

If your looking for something a little more straight forward, i would try moove your rear wing forward (gives more high speed steering than low), then add some rear camber (3deg most all around rear bite).

suggestion 1 makes the car push low speed then dial steering back in all around, suggestion2 makes the car turn more high speed then push more all around.

let me know if you have any luck.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #789
Tech Fanatic

Default Tires

Paul, how do you gauge when a rubber tire is worn out. I raced Sunday and the heats we're great. I even practiced after the last heat due to a change I made. Car ran great. Mains start and the car never got to the grip it had all day? It was liking driving a different car and there was no adjustment made. Car still felt the same but it just was sliding around, especially on corner entry.
What happened and how do you fix it.

It seems my car runs it's best on the first heat and then it just never gets faster. I didn't make any adjustments till after the last heat.

JG
Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #790
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Paul

Why the change to -75 suspension holders all around? I don't think I have seen this as typical on your past set-ups? Are you still running like that?
"If you're not first...you're last!"
jammincrtjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #791
Gravity RC

Quote:
Paul, how do you gauge when a rubber tire is worn out. I raced Sunday and the heats we're great. I even practiced after the last heat due to a change I made. Car ran great. Mains start and the car never got to the grip it had all day? It was liking driving a different car and there was no adjustment made. Car still felt the same but it just was sliding around, especially on corner entry.

It seems my car runs it's best on the first heat and then it just never gets faster. I didn't make any adjustments till after the last heat.

JG
Hmm, its hard to pin point what happened or is is happening to you. i would say that it is most likely tire or track related. did any other drivers complain of this?, if not i would say that it is most likely tire related. did you clean or sauce the tires any different for the final?, did one or more of the tires begin to come un glued?, did your diff get blown out as the day went on?, baybe a combo of a few things. if it were asphalt i would say that this is not that un common do to the tire prep, tire wear, track conditions amung other things having more control over the cars handling during incremental changes. on carpet it is more rare for something like this to happen.

Wish i had a more solid answer for you but those are my thoughts.

Thanks!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammincrtjames View Post
Hey Paul

Why the change to -75 suspension holders all around? I don't think I have seen this as typical on your past set-ups? Are you still running like that?

Hi. yes i am still running them low, on the t311 i thought that this made the car more predictible once set up properly, it increased the chassis roll and just seems to work for me. its possibe that i will feel differently about this as other settings change over time, but for now i like the whole set up with the low sus mounts.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #792
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

FYI,

The Sprecher is purchased! See ya in a week.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #793
Tech Fanatic

Default tire wear

They did notice the track lost a little traction, but not as much as I did. Also I did notice I tore a tire but not real bad. I also notices one of the front tires did come unglued after looking at it today. The tires have a few runs on them. I'm thinking they are wore out, but I'm new to rubber tire and just not sure of a way to tell if it's the tire or not. I'm thinking it was.

JG
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #794
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:

JG
Track was dirty. The spray helped us through the first round and fell off all day. You should have seen EA's 12th tires. I don't know that this was all of your problem, but I had about the same thing happen to me. I put newer tires on before the main and still nothing better. I think this was a lot of our problem....
The first round I had a 26 lapper until I found no-marshal land at the end. The rest of the day I was struggling for 25....

I am going to fix it Saturday with a vacuum
Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #795
Tech Adept

Hi Paul
I'm running the t3'11 and was looking for a good basic carpet set up. I have looked at yours on the xray site and was wondering about the shocks. Would that be 3 holes or 1 hole in the piston?
Also reading on here that you are running -75 all round now and would this work with basic set up?
Many thanks in advance Jay.
TEAM DRIVER FOR MMR FLUX
millbank is offline   Reply With Quote