R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #736
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Thanks for that Paul. I am a big fan of the associated grease as well. From what you have just said i probably dont rebuild often enough and I use way to much grease so i will ease of it next build and see how that goes. Regards Benzaah
A lot of people use way too much grease. The grease is only there to keep the diff balls cool, a little bit is all that is needed.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #737
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hi Paul,
Have you got any tips for using the LRP 30x tyres from the worlds? We're about to get our first taste of them at an event next month
Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #738
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Hi Paul,
Have you got any tips for using the LRP 30x tyres from the worlds? We're about to get our first taste of them at an event next month
Hi, at the worlds i had success using a sauce that i found, it is very simiar to trinity tire tweak. most of the time with a thick oil like that it is best to use as little as possible. i will just rub in a few drops in with my fingers. using only a little like that it ensures that it will dry up in a timely fassion. one qualifier at the worlds i tried to use a lot and it never dried, i literilly lost a whole lap on my time because of the greasy tires.
no real tricks but that is always the safe way for me.

thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #739
Tech Apprentice

Have you had the chance to run the P37 body? If so what do you think of it compared to the speed6 body?

How do you approach different tracks as far as setup goes. Do you have a "baseline" setup you start with everytime or do you just run your car with the last setup you had on it?

What are the major setup differences in asphalt and carpet? (do you run less ride height and droop on carpet or asphalt and why?)

Thank you,
Nick

Last edited by Nick Groves; 01-03-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Nick Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #740
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Groves View Post
Have you had the chance to run the P37 body? If so what do you think of it compared to the speed6 body?

How do you approach different tracks as far as setup goes. Do you have a "baseline" setup you start with everytime or do you just run your car with the last setup you had on it?

What are the major setup differences in asphalt and carpet? (do you run less ride height and droop on carpet or asphalt and why?)

Thank you,
Nick

Hi Nick, i havenot yet done good testing with the P37, i have heared that it works very well though.
Definately my cleveland set up is my baseline for carpet, it works very well for me on all US carpet tracks.
for asphalt i normally use all inboard toe for entry corner steering, linger front camber link for more forward traction and standard hexs for more steering. so basicly next time i run asphalt i will use my cleveland set up with those changes. normally droop and ride height stays close, for asphalt i would try using .5mms lower in front than the rear.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #741
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi Nick, i havenot yet done good testing with the P37, i have heared that it works very well though.
Definately my cleveland set up is my baseline for carpet, it works very well for me on all US carpet tracks.
for asphalt i normally use all inboard toe for entry corner steering, linger front camber link for more forward traction and standard hexs for more steering. so basicly next time i run asphalt i will use my cleveland set up with those changes. normally droop and ride height stays close, for asphalt i would try using .5mms lower in front than the rear.

Thanks
I have seen a few setup sheets posted on here, but what setup would you say is a good baseline setup for the 008 car?

Thank you,
Nick
Nick Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #742
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Hi Paul,

Can you speak to the performance of the new Thunder Power motors? How do they feel compared to other brands you've driven?

http://www.redrc.net/2011/01/thunder...rs/#more-38285

Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #743
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Tires

Paul, what do you use to clean the build up off your rubber tires. I've been using motor spray but someone said not to because it dries out the oil in the rubber? I've also seen a guy cleaning his with lighter fluid?
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #744
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Hi Paul,

Can you speak to the performance of the new Thunder Power motors? How do they feel compared to other brands you've driven?

http://www.redrc.net/2011/01/thunder...rs/#more-38285

I am obviously not Paul and dont want to step on his toes but I ran the 17.5 TP motor this past weekend in TC blinky class (Zero timing). I did not have any of the option rotors to play with but this thing was fast! I still dont have the setup down 100% on it but it was every bit as fast as my Duo 3 motors that have been pretty much untouchable by anything else. On they dyno its as good as the D3's as well. Construction and quality are great as well.

Seems TP has got a contender here for sure!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #745
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I am obviously not Paul and dont want to step on his toes but I ran the 17.5 TP motor this past weekend in TC blinky class (Zero timing). I did not have any of the option rotors to play with but this thing was fast! I still dont have the setup down 100% on it but it was every bit as fast as my Duo 3 motors that have been pretty much untouchable by anything else. On they dyno its as good as the D3's as well. Construction and quality are great as well.

Seems TP has got a contender here for sure!

EA
Was it a torquey or rpm kind of motor.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #746
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Was it a torquey or rpm kind of motor.

Skiddins
If you set it at the same timing as a Duo 3 it has just slightly less RPM with a watt or two more. EFF is about 1point less as well. If you keep turning the timing up (it goes to 50!!) then RPM and wattage go way up but eff goes down as it should after a certain point.

EA
Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #747
Tech Elite

Quote:
If you set it at the same timing as a Duo 3 it has just slightly less RPM with a watt or two more. EFF is about 1point less as well. If you keep turning the timing up (it goes to 50!!) then RPM and wattage go way up but eff goes down as it should after a certain point.

EA
I have never used a DUO 2, so how did the TP compare with an X12 etc?

Skiddins
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #748
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I have never used a DUO 2, so how did the TP compare with an X12 etc?

Skiddins
D3 is a lot better than the X12's. The X12s dont have any RPM unless you turn the timing way up then they get really hot (but handle it OK). Wattage on the X12's is OK but not as high as the D3 or TP motors.

EA
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #749
Tech Elite

Quote:
D3 is a lot better than the X12's. The X12s dont have any RPM unless you turn the timing way up then they get really hot (but handle it OK). Wattage on the X12's is OK but not as high as the D3 or TP motors.

EA
Interesting.

Currently run Corally motors which seem to have a rotor around 1900 gauss

You can barely turn the rotor by hand and they have a huge amount of torque.

Skiddins
RCDisco.co.uk
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #750
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Groves View Post
I have seen a few setup sheets posted on here, but what setup would you say is a good baseline setup for the 008 car?

Thank you,
Nick
Hi Nick, for carpet i would look at my vegas set up from 08, for asphalt i would look at Ralph Birches 08 reedy race set up. you should be able to find them both. Thanks!

[QUOTE=PitNamedGordie;8439077]Hi Paul,

Hi, i think that the Motors are well bllanced and totally adjustable, between the unlimited timing and multiple rotors it is a very universal motor. Im not going to say that they are half sec per lap faster than anyone's motor LOl, but they are fast and tuneable.
I definately think that a 1900 rotor is too heavy for any class or motor design. on my meeter 1600 is on higher end for what performs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Paul, what do you use to clean the build up off your rubber tires. I've been using motor spray but someone said not to because it dries out the oil in the rubber? I've also seen a guy cleaning his with lighter fluid?
HI, i would definately not use motor spray. on asphalt it does sometimes work, but for carpet i dont like to use it. lighter fluid is a good thing to use, also you can just use sauce. but i would say that motor spray is one of the worst things for carpet that you can use.
Thanks

EA: Thanks for the help!!