R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #631
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake95 View Post
do you run a gear diff if you do what oil running
thanks for your help
i always run between 1000 and 2000. normally 1000 for asphalt and 2000 for carpet.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #632
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Paul, can you give a quick summary of what cSt equates to Weight. For example, 20,000 cSt is what weight oil? Thanks
rcko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #633
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcko View Post
Paul, can you give a quick summary of what cSt equates to Weight. For example, 20,000 cSt is what weight oil? Thanks
Hi, I dont think losi, trinity and associated 50wt is even the same. someone once had a convertion chart for all manufactures oils converting them all to CST but i dont remember where that is.
I think all the thicker stuff for diffs has always been measured in CST but im not 100% sure on that.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #634
Tech Addict

CSt is a well defined standard, where as wt aint.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #635
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi, I dont think losi, trinity and associated 50wt is even the same. someone once had a convertion chart for all manufactures oils converting them all to CST but i dont remember where that is.
I think all the thicker stuff for diffs has always been measured in CST but im not 100% sure on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
CSt is a well defined standard, where as wt aint.
I believe this is the info you guys are looking for.

http://www.twf8.ws/php/index.php?opt...per&Itemid=175
Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #636
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I believe this is the info you guys are looking for.

http://www.twf8.ws/php/index.php?opt...per&Itemid=175
Very nice link indeed - bookmarked! Thanks!
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #637
Gravity RC

Thats It, Thanks guys!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #638
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
i always run between 1000 and 2000. normally 1000 for asphalt and 2000 for carpet.
thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #639
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Scales

Paul, do you ever place your finished car on four scales and see what the dynamic weight is? If so how do you adjust it, and how close do you try to get each scale?

I have my static weight set but when I place it on the four scales I'm off quite a bit. What should I look for?
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #640
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Paul, do you ever place your finished car on four scales and see what the dynamic weight is? If so how do you adjust it, and how close do you try to get each scale?

I have my static weight set but when I place it on the four scales I'm off quite a bit. What should I look for?
Jason, it's a good idea to put your car on a Hudy Quick Tweak station first if you have one. That will eliminate any spring pre-load or tweak questions first.
Bonadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #641
Tech Fanatic

Default Tweak

I do. It's in the middle but to one side. How close is acceptable? When I put it on the scales it seems to be off more than it really should.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #642
Tech Regular

I'm assuming you are talking about the bubble on the tweak station. The closer to center the better, but I too am interested to see what Paul has to say. I've seen both Paul and Drew lift each wheel of the car by hand so they can feel the weight. I guess this comes from many years of experience. I don't think I'll be learning that trick any time soon.
Bonadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #643
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonadona View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about the bubble on the tweak station. The closer to center the better, but I too am interested to see what Paul has to say. I've seen both Paul and Drew lift each wheel of the car by hand so they can feel the weight. I guess this comes from many years of experience. I don't think I'll be learning that trick any time soon.

Hi Guys, i have done it 100 different ways, i do it by hand and get it pretty close like that, but i tweak station (bubble) will do the same thing as feeling for the weight like i do. If i ever have a car that is seriously awesome i will put it on 4 scales to document the F/R weight %.
I have also used 4scales to tweak the car and it does work for me, youl never get it totally perfect, but you just want your left and right resr close and your left and right front close.

Maybe you are getting varied results from variables with the 4 scale system, next time you try this first use the tweak station get the bubble centered, then put the car on the scales, wright down the weights LR,RF and so on. then leave the scales in the same spot but rotate the car so the rear tires are now on the scales that the front tires were on. then compair the results. if the results are way off you will know that your scale system is flawed. tweak in the board, not accurate scales, different height scales, etc.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #644
Tech Fanatic

Default Paul

Thanks Paul, if you do see your car isn't centered on the tweak station where do you start in order to correct the problem?

I also noticed I built my car and ran it last weekend for the first time. I noticed after a couple of runs my body started dragging. I trimmed it on the sides thinking this is what was dragging. Next time out, it was still dragging I trimmed the front and that fixed the dragging. When I got back home I was checking everything and noticed my ride height had dropped from 5.0 for 4.4 letting me know why the body was dragging but I never thought to check it since we're running carpet and tire wear is really minimal. With this being said I assume my shocks settled in? Is this normal? This is where I plan to start on getting the tweak set back on the car, because I know everything is built equal from the left to the right side.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #645
Tech Rookie

hey Paul

i would like a to get back into sedan racing after a 5 year absense. I was going to MMI at the same time you were. We met a couple times and raced against eachother at SRS. after leaving AZ i moved somewhere that didnt support sedan racing, i.e. no tracks. I just want to know if sedan racing is still popular on the club level at all. the class has appeared to have completely faded away at the amatuer level. I'm moving to denver CO and would like to know if sedan racing would be the right choice. is it dead? i ask you because you get to travel all over the places and probaly have ur finger on the pulse of sedan racing in this country. thanks.
RMRCracing is offline   Reply With Quote