Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Dont mean to product drop (i paid full price for my sets) - If you buy the flying fox outdrives for the 50mm ecs the blade breaking issues will go away as the outdrive is longer (and beefcake).
ditto, I like mine , one worry is they can put more stress on the small ECS pins rather than the standard blade and outdrive taking the "hit". There always seems to be a tradeoff for wear related items made more stout, but its a risk I'm willing to take. Sorry to hijack the thread Paul. See you at TZII for the carpet Nats.
Jake
Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 PM
PH
Tech Rookie

Hi Paul

The XII Link has out of the box a lot of play in the front suspension. Do you remove this and how? Compared to other cars it seems to have a lot and it makes the car unstable in high grip tracks.

Also need the car to rotate much better - have you any good solution for this or is it to use the asso springs like you do?

On some pictures I see your center shock is not an Xray and it is longer and more horizontal placed.

Our local track is tight, high grip and technical and it seems like the BMI with their new front suspenssion and Yokomo have more steering and turns way better than the XII - they can drive their cars softer and smoother with better lap times due to their increased steering.

/PH
Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Dont mean to product drop (i paid full price for my sets) - If you buy the flying fox outdrives for the 50mm ecs the blade breaking issues will go away as the outdrive is longer (and beefcake).
+1
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by jammincrtjames
Paul,

I saw in an ealier post that you are testing ThunderPower motors? Can you shed any light on the testing?
Hi. Yup Thunderpower will have a full line of motors. im not really sure when they will be availible. we do have the basic design settled on but we are still testing some different specifications for different winds. Im sure as we moove closer to having the finished product more info will follow. Thanks!

Originally Posted by PH
Hi Paul

The XII Link has out of the box a lot of play in the front suspension. Do you remove this and how? Compared to other cars it seems to have a lot and it makes the car unstable in high grip tracks.

Also need the car to rotate much better - have you any good solution for this or is it to use the asso springs like you do?

On some pictures I see your center shock is not an Xray and it is longer and more horizontal placed.

Our local track is tight, high grip and technical and it seems like the BMI with their new front suspenssion and Yokomo have more steering and turns way better than the XII - they can drive their cars softer and smoother with better lap times due to their increased steering.

/PH

Does your car have camber slop or caster slop? my car has some slop but its not too bad. i would suggest getting the Plastic suspension balls that Xray offers. after snapping them in i rheam mine untill the kingpin is totally free. this will help the car drive more consistent.

for steering you could give the car less ackermann (steering servo ball studs forward). also associated gold springs should help it turn better, and obviously tires can make a huge difference depending on what compounds you are running now.

I have been trying some different shock locations, but i really havent been able to make a big improovement over the stock location. the shock is an Xray shock, I normally like 700cst in it. and 300cst in the side shock.

As for steering i dont really know, its possible that a different front suspension design could work on very low bite serfaces but on higher bite the conventional front king pin suspension design is still best, atleast right now it is. In my experience i like Majenta tires all around with associated blue springs with .5deg front camber 170r track width, 700center shock, 300 side shock. I am not really the 12th scale master, so if you have anything to add that you have tested, ill listen for sure
Old 10-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

hi paul just a small question

i own a xray 009 and i drive it out doors on a medium grip medium size bumpy track with 4 hair pins turns and a 50 meters strait the only problem i have with this car that is too loose from the rear but i have a lot of steering. I try ed many settings but with no success do you had the same problem and how you think i can solve it.

down stop f6 r5
ride hight f5.5 r6
.5 deg toe out front
2.5 deg toe in rear
1.5 camber all wheels
2.2 xray springs front and rear
shocks 2 holes front 4 holes rear 30wt oil all wheels

someone on an other tread suggested that i should use stiffer spring more toe in on the rear and use less holes in the shocks. what do you think?

if you need some thing more just ask

thank you in advance and sorry for my bad English
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
PH
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi. Yup Thunderpower will have a full line of motors. im not really sure when they will be availible. we do have the basic design settled on but we are still testing some different specifications for different winds. Im sure as we moove closer to having the finished product more info will follow. Thanks!

Does your car have camber slop or caster slop? my car has some slop but its not too bad. i would suggest getting the Plastic suspension balls that Xray offers. after snapping them in i rheam mine untill the kingpin is totally free. this will help the car drive more consistent.

for steering you could give the car less ackermann (steering servo ball studs forward). also associated gold springs should help it turn better, and obviously tires can make a huge difference depending on what compounds you are running now.

I have been trying some different shock locations, but i really havent been able to make a big improovement over the stock location. the shock is an Xray shock, I normally like 700cst in it. and 300cst in the side shock.

As for steering i dont really know, its possible that a different front suspension design could work on very low bite serfaces but on higher bite the conventional front king pin suspension design is still best, atleast right now it is. In my experience i like Majenta tires all around with associated blue springs with .5deg front camber 170r track width, 700center shock, 300 side shock. I am not really the 12th scale master, so if you have anything to add that you have tested, ill listen for sure
Thanks for a fast reply.

The play is both camber and caster related and the suspension balls are the most worse part. Do you have a partno for the plastic?

I run Jaco dbl pink front and Jaco pink rear - tire size 42 front and 44 rear. The track has a lot of grip.

You mean moving the servo forward - and by that moving the servo ball/linkage arms forward to change for less akermann?

I have glued one of the center shock holes and 600cst oil and then a stiffer center shock spring. This has increased the steering in the tight track sections.

What do you gain by a softer side shock?

I have now tried to raise the plate for the side springs so they are just touching the side arm, maybe this can improve the car.

Have you played with the front center alu with the o-rings?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Corally_27
hi paul just a small question

i own a xray 009 and i drive it out doors on a medium grip medium size bumpy track with 4 hair pins turns and a 50 meters strait the only problem i have with this car that is too loose from the rear but i have a lot of steering. I try ed many settings but with no success do you had the same problem and how you think i can solve it.

down stop f6 r5
ride hight f5.5 r6
.5 deg toe out front
2.5 deg toe in rear
1.5 camber all wheels
2.2 xray springs front and rear
shocks 2 holes front 4 holes rear 30wt oil all wheels

someone on an other tread suggested that i should use stiffer spring more toe in on the rear and use less holes in the shocks. what do you think?

if you need some thing more just ask

thank you in advance and sorry for my bad English
Hi, here is what i would try for low to med bite. 2.6R and 2.8F spring, full short front wheelbase, full long rear wheelbase, 1.3ft sway bar, 1.2 rear sway bar.
3hole pistons with 600cst FT and 400cst Rear, and 3.5deg rear toe. make sure that your ackermann post is full short to start with. and hope for the best .

Originally Posted by PH
Thanks for a fast reply.

The play is both camber and caster related and the suspension balls are the most worse part. Do you have a partno for the plastic?

I run Jaco dbl pink front and Jaco pink rear - tire size 42 front and 44 rear. The track has a lot of grip.

You mean moving the servo forward - and by that moving the servo ball/linkage arms forward to change for less akermann?

I have glued one of the center shock holes and 600cst oil and then a stiffer center shock spring. This has increased the steering in the tight track sections.

What do you gain by a softer side shock?

I have now tried to raise the plate for the side springs so they are just touching the side arm, maybe this can improve the car.

Have you played with the front center alu with the o-rings?

I dont know the part number for the plastic balls, and i cant find them on the site. I will check on availibility of them.
For the caster slop you should beable to shim it as perfect as anybodys front end, i didnt have to with mine. for camber slop i just replace the upper eyelids every so often.
I also shim up the cross brace and the graphite pod plate 1mm for the side springs to not be preloaded.

Softer side shock oil will just let the car roll a bit more. for me it makes the car a little easier to drive. i normally use 300. 250,300 and 350 is my range tuening for the shock.

The aluminum/oring front brace will give you a little more steering than the graphite brace, if you run niether the aluminum brace or the graphite brace the car will have the most steering.

Hope it helps a little.

Im off to a race this weekend so ill be back on here next week when i get home. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Will the Thunder Power motors have high torque rotors?
I mean 1800-guass or similar.

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Will the Thunder Power motors have high torque rotors?
I mean 1800-guass or similar.

Thanks
Skiddins

We are getting some stronger test rotors now, they will be run and evaluated from their for what we will offer. 1800 is crazy strong on my meter, id be suprised if that much field is needed for the higher turn motors. we will see.

no problem!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what's the latest and greatest from thunder power for lipo, xtreme v3 or v4?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by superspeed
what's the latest and greatest from thunder power for lipo, xtreme v3 or v4?
The 5300 65C for 2cell and the 5400 65c for single cell are the newest serface packs, they run really good and all their stuff always has. they have a new ACDC charger that is really nice and easy. i dont have a lot to do with the Battery stuff atall BC they definately have it figured out on their own.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Paul L
We are getting some stronger test rotors now, they will be run and evaluated from their for what we will offer. 1800 is crazy strong on my meter, id be suprised if that much field is needed for the higher turn motors. we will see.

no problem!
I ask as I've been using a Black Diamond ESC, which doesn't use the insane timing etc like the Tekin and we've found the high torque motors like the Corally and Graupner work well on it.

These motors won't work with Tekin ESC's for some reason but are almost indestructable as the amount of torque they have means it can be geared however you want.

Skiddins
Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quick Question Paul, What kind of tires were you running this weekend at the classic? and what esc and i know thunder power packs but which ones? Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I ask as I've been using a Black Diamond ESC, which doesn't use the insane timing etc like the Tekin and we've found the high torque motors like the Corally and Graupner work well on it.

These motors won't work with Tekin ESC's for some reason but are almost indestructable as the amount of torque they have means it can be geared however you want.

Skiddins

Thanks for the info, it is really hard to have the best motor for every application these days for that reason. I am thinking that the timing speedos are being pushed out at most races.

Originally Posted by tcian
Quick Question Paul, What kind of tires were you running this weekend at the classic? and what esc and i know thunder power packs but which ones? Thanks
I used the Sweep tires at the classic, and i used a LRP SxxTC with a 4.0 motor 0 timing and the softest punch setting. I used a 5300 65c pack.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

paul, just one more quick question....

will you marry me and bare our child of forbidden love.......raising him in the ways of the on road jedi, teaching him to harness the power of the force and channel it to his driving like you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.