R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #406
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghills View Post
Great run in 12th Paul. I assume you won't be bringing that car back with you. Good luck in TC. You are our hero!

Keith and Jason.

Thanks guys , sorry i let you downLOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
I was racing tonight on our carpet track and am confused why i got .3 slower from the 1st qual to the main. The traction was down as usual but this seems to be when i pull my fastest laps. As the traction comes up my car gets slower. It feels like it doesn't want to rotate around the slow speed corners very well.

So to help loosen the rear up some i put on a medium rear swaybar. It did nothing or made it worse.

Regardless of my setup what would be some good recommendations to loosen up the rear or giving the car more low speed steering; roll center, stiffer springs, different swaybar, less rear toe, etc?
I have run in to that situation quite a bit on carpet also. the best way to compinsate is with camber and ackermann. i will go one or two notches longer on the ackermann post and put more front and or less rear camber. id bet that if you went to 3deg front camber and .75 rear camber with the ackermann being 2 notches longer you would spin out even when the grip is high. Hope it helps, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
Hey Paul,

Congrats on the 1/12 Amain. is Matsukura human like the rest of us??

Also guys, after Q1 in 1/10 Paul is currently 4th

i told you Paul, its not a big deal, you only have to beat Jilles, Mark, Volker and Hara

cheers

Ali
he is definately a great driver, his support is good too. and he will only get faster when he smooth's out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Paul is my new hero
what was i then, LOl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
Hey paul

Great to meet you today

I will let you know how i get on with my chassis building , Thanks for your advice

Caught in the lense LOL

Nice to meet you too, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eded1 View Post
At the worlds I have watch your driving skills, really smooth.
Really impressive to me.
Good luck for the future.

Regards

Ed
Thanks ED, sometimes it wasnt so pretty but in the end it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXRACER99 View Post
hey paul since trackside is going to off road were are you going to go for your home track?
Also are you going to make it down to Chicago for Asphalt assault there is one this week end but i dont know if u can make it due to just getting back from worlds.
I will practice at harbor hobby and maybe run a bit more off road.
I did talk to Brian and im not sure if i can come this sunday but i will make it out for one this year for sure. see ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eded1 View Post
Hi, Paul.

Question, how did you mount your lipo to your self made chassis plate.
Did you do it with double sided tap or whatever?.
Thanks in advance

Ed

Hi again, I do use servo tape to hold my battery in. I use a 5mm wide strip going across the battery at the very front of the battery and at the very rear.
This way the chassis flex's perfectly underneath. Keep the serfaces clean and it wont come out, dont use too much servo tape, otherwise you will never get it out. .
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #407
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

Hi again, I do use servo tape to hold my battery in. I use a 5mm wide strip going across the battery at the very front of the battery and at the very rear.
This way the chassis flex's perfectly underneath. Keep the serfaces clean and it wont come out, dont use too much servo tape, otherwise you will never get it out. .
Stupid question alert! I presume you are swapping batteries after each run? Are you using the thin black servo tape or the thicker (and easier to deal with) red stuff?
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #408
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Paul, Do you think a general 13ga./14ga. wire is too thick for wiring up a 1/12 scale? Or do you prefer running thinner wire, like 16ga. for less chance of tweak? Thanks

l MOMO USA l OZ Racing l Willwood Brakes | Dunlop Tires |

The Raceway at Beaver: Forever In Blue Jeans
Mark506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #409
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Thanks guys , sorry i let you downLOL.
We know that you do not have to finish first to be a winner. A Main at the Worlds! 12th and 10th TC. Calm, smooth and respectful. Yes you are our hero.

Hope to see you soon, Keith and Jason.
kghills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #410
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
We know that you do not have to finish first to be a winner. A Main at the Worlds! 12th and 10th TC. Calm, smooth and respectful. Yes you are our hero.
+1, good job Paul. I know you wanted to win, but we're happy with the way you represented the USA.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #411
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark506 View Post
Paul, Do you think a general 13ga./14ga. wire is too thick for wiring up a 1/12 scale? Or do you prefer running thinner wire, like 16ga. for less chance of tweak? Thanks

Hi Mark! Not to step on Paul's toe's here but 16 gauge in modified racing will not work very well. Get's the wire's pretty warm and usually over heat's the speed control. Also,I have actually felt a power difference on the track and you can tell the speed controls is getting hot as the car looses power about half way thru. Using a good 13 gauge wire with any motor will be best and route the motor wires up the center of the car along side the shock and try to angle the motor forward so the front 2 tabs are lower.

Paul- Great job at the WC! I know you wanted to win but you still represented USA very well. Your day will come when you get the big win!

P.S I'm not buttering you up for anything!
B.JUCHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #412
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have you ever tried the 2 hole suspension arms? If you have what did you think? If you haven't, why not?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #413
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

here is my finnished chassis

2.0mm thick and Equal width Left and Right

i made 1 mistake with the countersinking but it was a bumper screw so no biggy

I will report back after the weekend how it drives , i have a 17.4 laptime to beat

sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #414
Tech Regular

Hi Paul!

I got an question for you

I wonder if you use a function on the controller that when your braking an turning at the smae time the less brakes u get. Like if you brake and turn the wheel more and more the car brakes less and less.

Do you know what the funktion is called and do you use it?

Thanks and congrats for a good place at worlds!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #415
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

HiPaul, just like to hear what your take is on gear diffs (did you try one?). I saw yourcar and Alex Hagberg had ball diffs in them and I have to admit I like the ball diff when there is less traction but there were quite a few using gear diffs including the WC. Also, congratts on the A main finish against such a competetive field

Last edited by ark; 07-11-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: :-)
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #416
Tech Elite

Hi Paul

What benefit was the custom chassis you used over the standard item?

How did mounting your front upper links to the shock tower mounting holes improve the handling?

Thanks
Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #417
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Paul,

What would you change set up wise for a hot track to stop the tires from over heating? I know slowing down and driving smooth always helps, or could go to a harder tire (sorex 40's) but I'm just curious what you would say to try
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #418
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

A couple of questions for you.

What motor did you end up running in your TC at the worlds?

This question is related to TC spec rubber tire carpet racing. When you are setting your car up for a upcoming race, what things do you look at to get a base setup, or do you just show up and start to tune from there?

When you get to the track, what do you try to tune for first? Are you looking at gearing or handling? Do you try to get a couple of laps in before you do anything, just getting familiar with the track and then go after setup? Do you vary quite a bit on the shock oil and springs or have you come to a base setup that seems to work for you? If so what is it? (oil and springs) Do you run zero rebound shocks or do you have a prefered way of building and setting your shocks?

I never see any pics of you using tire warmers, do you ever use them?

Whats the story of the counter sunk screws in your top deck, is that your mod or a future factory piece? Do you think it helps any tweek issues?

Thanks
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #419
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Paul, do you ever have any problems with the thrust washers getting stuck in the diff half? Partically the large one, i've had to sand the outside diameter down a couple times so it will slide freely in the diff, or can you just run 2 of the smaller washers?

Also I can almost get a can of motor spray in my mouth now, are there any special exercises I can do to help me get it all?

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #420
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Spike View Post
Stupid question alert! I presume you are swapping batteries after each run? Are you using the thin black servo tape or the thicker (and easier to deal with) red stuff?
Hi, I use the "bolink style" black stuff. thats why i dont use much, BC otherwise it would be really hard to get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark506 View Post
Hi , see Brian Jucha's post. I definately agree.
Thanks

Quote:

Hope to see you soon, Keith and Jason.
LOL, Thanks!. I still need to get Jason the car I built for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
+1, good job Paul. I know you wanted to win, but we're happy with the way you represented the USA.
Thanks man!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Evl View Post
Have you ever tried the 2 hole suspension arms? If you have what did you think? If you haven't, why not?
I Ran the Two hole arms at the worlds. I cant say for sure that they were better but tey do drive much different. if you go with the outside holes the car just becomes stiffer, the shock has more travel that way so the car will drive much more direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
here is my finnished chassis

2.0mm thick and Equal width Left and Right

i made 1 mistake with the countersinking but it was a bumper screw so no biggy

I will report back after the weekend how it drives , i have a 17.4 laptime to beat

Cool, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy63 View Post
Hi Paul!

I got an question for you

I wonder if you use a function on the controller that when your braking an turning at the smae time the less brakes u get. Like if you brake and turn the wheel more and more the car brakes less and less.

Do you know what the funktion is called and do you use it?

Thanks and congrats for a good place at worlds!
Hi, honestly i dont know. i have never even tried to use half the stuff in my radio. i only use trim, sub trim, EPA, steering and throttle expo and thats really it. sorry i couldnt be more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark View Post
HiPaul, just like to hear what your take is on gear diffs (did you try one?). I saw yourcar and Alex Hagberg had ball diffs in them and I have to admit I like the ball diff when there is less traction but there were quite a few using gear diffs including the WC. Also, congratts on the A main finish against such a competetive field
I have not driven with a gear diff. I would assume that they work well BC it seemd like about half the Afinal was running them. I dont think it will be a HUGE advantage but i could see it being a bit better if tuned well.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Hi Paul

What benefit was the custom chassis you used over the standard item?

How did mounting your front upper links to the shock tower mounting holes improve the handling?

Thanks
Skiddins
I thought that the car just had a little better traction with the chassis that i ran, Alex qualified 3rd at the worlds with a box stock chassis so its hard for me to say its WAY better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Paul,

What would you change set up wise for a hot track to stop the tires from over heating? I know slowing down and driving smooth always helps, or could go to a harder tire (sorex 40's) but I'm just curious what you would say to try
Hi, I wouldnt really change anything on my car but i think that my cars have well ballanced set ups right now. If your in the situation where your car works when its cool but dose not work well when its hot, then i think your set up is off in the first place. with good tires and a cool track almost every set up will work decent, its when the track is hot is where the set up flaws really show.
But i would thinka softer chassis and suspension when the track is
really hot could be better in a lot of cases. I would moove the shocks in on the arm to make things sofer instead of changing the oil and springs, that should work the tires much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Hi Paul,

A couple of questions for you.

What motor did you end up running in your TC at the worlds?

This question is related to TC spec rubber tire carpet racing. When you are setting your car up for a upcoming race, what things do you look at to get a base setup, or do you just show up and start to tune from there?

When you get to the track, what do you try to tune for first? Are you looking at gearing or handling? Do you try to get a couple of laps in before you do anything, just getting familiar with the track and then go after setup? Do you vary quite a bit on the shock oil and springs or have you come to a base setup that seems to work for you? If so what is it? (oil and springs) Do you run zero rebound shocks or do you have a prefered way of building and setting your shocks?

I never see any pics of you using tire warmers, do you ever use them?

Whats the story of the counter sunk screws in your top deck, is that your mod or a future factory piece? Do you think it helps any tweek issues?

Thanks

Hi, I used a trinity Duo 4 turn in TC.

Normally when im going to a race i leave the car alone, i will show up to vegas with my asphalt cars and just tune them in. Going in i know that a asphalt car normally spins out on carpet so i will be prepaired to do things like use more rear toe, less front camber, more ackermann ect.

Ill use the worlds as an example, the first run i was decently fast so i left it totally alone untill i settled in to driving the layout. after the second practice i felt like my car was struggling threw the chicane (switch back) the front end was dipping too much threw the quick transition, so i raised my front roll center. after that i thought that the car was rolling evenly but not quite enough, so i then went from 700ft and 500R oil i went to 600ft and 400r. then i really just tuned my cambers from their, i went from 1degF and 1.5deg rear to 1.5 and 2.
Thats all i changed the whole time, i wanted to change a ton of stuff but anytime i throw lots at a car on asphalt it dosent work for me.
I do build my shocks pretty dead.
I dont use tire warmers that often but i do sometimes.
I countersunk the top deck just BC i wanted the car to be a little stiffer, it will have a little less flex with the countersinks.

Thanks!
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote