Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Can't you just increase the ride height a bit?
I did try that I went droop but it just laid over that much more . and still had major buildup . they r using a verity of traction compounds at this track which I'm sure is why I had more buildup than normal (not my normal track i run at ).
I also tried to limit droop to 1.5/3mm f/r but it didn't have the corner speed That it did with 3/5mm droop . tks for the link Whiteside I'll have to pick some up to try .
Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
Not sure if theres another thread for the Gravity stuff.

Got my hands on the canister and LGC kudos to Kody @ Emerald City RC

LOVE THEM.
Awesome! Thanks

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Paul, on your 1/12 tires, what do the soft/med/hard equate to as far as the color ratings from other mfgs? Just need something to compare to when someone says to run black or pink etc. I tried to hit them with a durometer but there isn't enough rubber on the wheel
Yea, when they get thin the Durometer wont be accurate. Soft is 30, med 23 and hard 35. I have a super soft rear that i am working on but im not sure on a release date of those.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
Special thanks to Paul Lemieux for all the help with my car this weekend at IIC. My car was hooked, my driving was my biggest obstacle. Your help helped me win both of my mains. Paul, you rock!
Glad i was able to help! see ya!

Originally Posted by rosko
We want to c some iic set ups
I just got home last night so i will be working on that soon. Thanks!

Originally Posted by R Doyel
Hey Paul, I'm going to run 10.5 blinky touring at Speedworld for the first time, this weekend. The guys there are saying to start at 5.7 FDR, but I'm wondering what endbell timing would be good. It is a stock out of the box Thunder Power 10.5.

Thanks!
Hi. 5.7FDr sounds pretty safe. I would start at 35deg end bell timing and monitor the temps.

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
This past weekend I can at a track with low/med traction and my car was really good but I noticed its rolling a lot in the corners which seemed to give the most corner speed but in the last 5 laps or so it seemed to bind up in a few tight corners as the chassis is getting a lot of buildup on it ( it was cleaned between heats) have u figured anything out with the chassis drag issue? For me it would seem like a Teflon tape would be the ticket if there was such a product. Hint hint.
Good hint . I have never tested anything like that, surely now the cars are dragging more than ever so maybe it is time for something like that.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Just FYI Paul is not due to be home till tonight or tomorrow. He stayed over in Vegas to go over to Thunder power for a couple of days.

EA
Thanks EA

maybe i will buy some and give it a try. Thanks!

Can't you just increase the ride height a bit?
Increasing the ride height will help some but not as much as you would think, unless you go 6.5mms or more, then the car will not handle well. My Advice when setting up a car is to not worry about the chassis drag, If it handles well and drags it dosent bother me at all. But that dose not mean that i wouldn't try some tape afterwards without changing the set up.

I did try that I went droop but it just laid over that much more . and still had major buildup . they r using a verity of traction compounds at this track which I'm sure is why I had more buildup than normal (not my normal track i run at ).
I also tried to limit droop to 1.5/3mm f/r but it didn't have the corner speed That it did with 3/5mm droop . tks for the link Whiteside I'll have to pick some up to try .
Good conversation. yes, if its dragging, let it. you could go higher ride height, higher roll centers, thicker oil stiffer springs etc etc, but in the end you will just have a car that drags less but dose not handle well.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM
AOD
Tech Regular

Paul did you and Dave kiss and make up?
Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AOD
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Paul. Going to pick up some of that tape also. Its worth a shot . I've tried waxing the outer edges of chassis lol but by the time I'm ready to actually race its gone ,does no good ... The tape might be the same way just start coming off thru out the race but I'm going to see.

Different question same topic. How do u use droop with given traction levels ?
I know back at Drew's race last winter I found Ur droop #s vs my measured droop numbers r very different . which is fine BTW. But in general do u change droop for different traction levels ?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

something i do for chassis rub is when im cutting a new bodyshell i save the thinest part and cut 2 strips,at the mo i only put a 40mm strip under the motor with a piece sticking out to protect the motor as that can scrape as well,i stick it on with shoe goo,this is mostly due to a banked sweeper but the other strip goes on for other tracks,this stops the chassis from wearing away
Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Yea I would be doing this also if I raced on outdoor tracks . I'm sticking to carpet. All the decent /good tracks within 4hrs of me closed down /stopped racing
Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Tech Addict

Paul, I cant thank you enough for your help at the IIC, I was really struggling after the first day of practice, and your help really turned things around.

Again, thank you very much.

Rich
Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by AOD
Not yet

Thanks Paul. Going to pick up some of that tape also. Its worth a shot . I've tried waxing the outer edges of chassis lol but by the time I'm ready to actually race its gone ,does no good ... The tape might be the same way just start coming off thru out the race but I'm going to see.

Different question same topic. How do u use droop with given traction levels ?
I know back at Drew's race last winter I found Ur droop #s vs my measured droop numbers r very different . which is fine BTW. But in general do u change droop for different traction levels ?
In the past i would have thought that with higher grip you can use more droop but i don't think it is that cut and dry. all i can say is that 2.5-3mms of droop over ride height is standard now for almost every situation. I have used way more and less before, but only in special circumstances.
Thanks

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
something i do for chassis rub is when im cutting a new bodyshell i save the thinest part and cut 2 strips,at the mo i only put a 40mm strip under the motor with a piece sticking out to protect the motor as that can scrape as well,i stick it on with shoe goo,this is mostly due to a banked sweeper but the other strip goes on for other tracks,this stops the chassis from wearing away
That's a good tip for asphalt if you don't like scratches.

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
Paul, I cant thank you enough for your help at the IIC, I was really struggling after the first day of practice, and your help really turned things around.

Again, thank you very much.

Rich
No problem Rich. I could tell that you were not having fun do to the car so thats when i step in.

See ya!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Gravity RC

IIC Set ups.

I did not see any "14" set up sheets on line so i did them with the standard sheets with text on the bottom for the changes of the new cars.

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=91&setup=x12

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=567&setup=t4
Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Did u run all the top deck screws?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

..And what shims on rear outer camber link?

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Paul L
IIC Set ups.

I did not see any "14" set up sheets on line so i did them with the standard sheets with text on the bottom for the changes of the new cars.

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=91&setup=x12

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=567&setup=t4
would you mind filling in this one paul?
any asphalt set ups?
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...SetupSheet.pdf
Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Gravity RC

I only ran the front most 4 and rear most 4 screws in the deck.

..And what shims on rear outer camber link?

Thanks
Skiddins
sorry 4mm

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
would you mind filling in this one paul?
any asphalt set ups?
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...SetupSheet.pdf
oh where did you get that? I will try . Im kinda stupid when it comes to stuff like this, would i then save it as a pdf then attach the file on here??
Thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Paul L
... would i then save it as a pdf then attach the file on here??
Thanks
Yep, just use a pdf editor to fill it in then save it, and add it on here as an attachment.

This does appear to be something that Xray have missed (for the first time)

There was no editable sheet available for download and nowhere on the setups section of the Xray site for the new car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.