R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #2206
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

How did you set your drag brake? As in, what are you looking for from it?
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #2207
Tech Fanatic
 
elee32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lambertville, nj
Posts: 785
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
How did you set your drag brake? As in, what are you looking for from it?
+1

Making the step up to Mod from stock, brakes are waaaay more effective, I'm more curious to find how much push brake you actually use and how much drag brake as well...(my spur gears thank you)
__________________
Eric Lee, sponsored by shipping and handling..
elee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #2208
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee32 View Post
+1

Making the step up to Mod from stock, brakes are waaaay more effective, I'm more curious to find how much push brake you actually use and how much drag brake as well...(my spur gears thank you)
That's what I'm doing as well. It's fun, but VERY frustrating.
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #2209
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
ok thanks paul,after a test today its holding around 81/83 c with 40 degrees timing,i geared it down 3 teeth on the pinion and its cooler and has more punch wont know until tomorrows race if its fast enough down the straight with the others
well,it didnt work,it smoked out today,went over to a gm and thats stuck at 60c with no change to gearing and its a bit faster
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #2210
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
ok thanks paul,after a test today its holding around 81/83 c with 40 degrees timing,i geared it down 3 teeth on the pinion and its cooler and has more punch wont know until tomorrows race if its fast enough down the straight with the others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
Hello Paul,
Just curious if your setup from Petit for the XB4 is still current or if you have made any modifications lately? Also wondering what you have found to be the best combination of front/rear tires/inserts for running at TS?
I drive and my son races at TS--We've never met yet but Ill be sure to introduce myself next time I see you ripping laps! I purchased a new XB4 a few months back solely based on watching you drive yours there LOL
Hi. I have a couple different set ups for the XB4 at trackside. honestly i thought my car was best here with the stock set up with just a couple modifications. 500ft scock oil, 10,000 ft diff oil, lowest camber link hole on the rear shock tower, 2line progressive front springs and .5mms more rear toe. I havent really been able to run much lately do to other races and things. i know that the track seems to be changing a bit (getting hard) and people have been liking the pro line Ion's also, hopefully in a couple weeks i will be back to work on it.
As for tires right now i would say a M3 suburb (broke in) in the rear and i make my own fronts out of rears, otherwise you can use a scrub in the front. as for inserts the stock foam is the best right away but after many runs the closed cell will be better. the pro line closed cell will beak in pretty fast in rear tires, but fronts will take many more runs to break in (likely in to your second set of tires with those inserts). All in all i would say to use closed cell in the rear and stuff a full rear foam into the front.

I can help you better at the track when i can look at the car a bit.
Thanks



Quote:
Originally Posted by fermanracer View Post
Paul its nice to see a pro driver helping out and taking the time to help us regular guys out. you are a great representative of this hobby. your sponsor are very lucky to have you.
, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
How did you set your drag brake? As in, what are you looking for from it?
I like more drag brake than most because im not that great at using push brake, I suppose what i am looking for is the proper amount of drag brake for the track, knowing it cant be perfect for every corner do to varying entry speeds and lifting points etc, so I know that in some corners i will lift and still have to stab a bit of push brake, but if tuned right at the majority of corners i can lift when i want and not have to use any push brake. It helps reduce another variable (braking) to driving and i feel it makes me more consistent.

hope that is what you were looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee32 View Post
+1

Making the step up to Mod from stock, brakes are waaaay more effective, I'm more curious to find how much push brake you actually use and how much drag brake as well...(my spur gears thank you)
Lol. I always use Max brake force in my speedo and my radio, this way i just barely touch the brake and the tires pretty much lock up. Again since i suck at using brakes i use push brake as emergency brake in a sence and give it the smallest stab whan i use it, by having the smallest of movement in to the brake side it again helps me be consistent BC their is no variable of how much brake you use, its pretty much on or off and your finger dosent have to have a great feel in the brake side of the trigger. This is not really normal for other pro drivers from what i have seen though.

The drag brake selected is dependent on variables un known, speedo, Gearing, timing, motor, rotor, track size, motor temp, track layout all will play a role. as with anything though just throw a moderate amount of drag brake at it, 10% is fine and start increasing it or decreasing it to see how you like it.
keep in mind though that more drag brake cam mean a ton more heat, so sometimes i am not able to use as much as i want in fear of things overheating.


[QUOTE=chasingthepack;12167977]well,it didnt work,it smoked out today,went over to a gm and thats stuck at 60c with no change to gearing and its a bit faster.[QUOTE]


Sorry it didn't work out. sometimes you never know. especially if it had a history of getting hot. maybe someday i can make it up to you
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #2211
Tech Addict
 
thisguy2849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 568
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Used Lg2 for the first time yesterday in Kissimmee and wow what an improvement. Didnt have LG1 though. Will be getting plenty of both this week lol
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #2212
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,216
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Hey Paul,

Great thread, thanks for helping all of us.

Last weekend was the first onroad day at Leisure Hours and my first day with a T4. Last year I ran a T3 2012 car there in mod TC.

The T4 ran very well for the most part, and I had a decent day running 10.5 boosted but have one thing I would like to do away with.

At the end of the back straight going into the sweeper my car wiggles through the whole turn as it fights for grip if I enter the sweeper a bit too fast. This makes it hard to get back on power coming out of the turn because the car can snap out of control if I pick the trigger up too soon or hard.

I would love if the car smoothly pushed at the limit rather than this wiggle. I did notice one other car running mod having the same issue but I did't speak to him about it. He was on Solaris tires and I was on Sorex so I dont think it was my tires. I didn't see Jucha's car do it but noticed that he was taking a very wide line into the sweeper. Maybe I just need to get out to the edge of the track?

Any suggestions?

Track is medium grip asphalt.

Setup was your 2013 ROAR nats setup as a base but with:

2.5f/2.3r springs
400f/350r oil
3.0/2.0 droop ORH.
roll centers in middle all around
spool up front


Thanks
__________________
www.teamgravityrc.com
Leisure Hours Raceway

Last edited by Troy Carter; 05-20-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fixed setup differences
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #2213
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy2849 View Post
Used Lg2 for the first time yesterday in Kissimmee and wow what an improvement. Didnt have LG1 though. Will be getting plenty of both this week lol
Cool, Glad it worked well! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Hey Paul,

Great thread, thanks for helping all of us.

Last weekend was the first onroad day at Leisure Hours and my first day with a T4. Last year I ran a T3 2012 car there in mod TC.

The T4 ran very well for the most part, and I had a decent day running 10.5 boosted but have one thing I would like to do away with.

At the end of the back straight going into the sweeper my car wiggles through the whole turn as it fights for grip if I enter the sweeper a bit too fast. This makes it hard to get back on power coming out of the turn because the car can snap out of control if I pick the trigger up too soon or hard.

I would love if the car smoothly pushed at the limit rather than this wiggle. I did notice one other car running mod having the same issue but I did't speak to him about it. He was on Solaris tires and I was on Sorex so I dont think it was my tires. I didn't see Jucha's car do it but noticed that he was taking a very wide line into the sweeper. Maybe I just need to get out to the edge of the track?

Any suggestions?

Track is medium grip asphalt.

Setup was your 2013 ROAR nats setup as a base but with:

2.5f/2.3r springs
400f/350r oil
3.0/2.0 droop ORH.
roll centers in middle all around
spool up front


Thanks

Hi Troy. Glad you got out their. I heard their were 2 heats of mod, Pretty cool!.

I would reduce your front droop to 2mm as well, then i would move my rear wing back 5mms. This should help the cause quite a bit. Good luck!
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #2214
Tech Fanatic
 
elee32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lambertville, nj
Posts: 785
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the detailed answer, will try and put it to good use this weekend!!

Eric Lee
__________________
Eric Lee, sponsored by shipping and handling..
elee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #2215
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,216
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Cool, Glad it worked well! Thanks




Hi Troy. Glad you got out their. I heard their were 2 heats of mod, Pretty cool!.

I would reduce your front droop to 2mm as well, then i would move my rear wing back 5mms. This should help the cause quite a bit. Good luck!
Thanks, I'll give it a try! My rear wing is almost flush with the back of the body so I'm sure I have room to move it. WOW, now that I think about it last year I ran an LTCR all year but now I have a Speed6 on it that I ran inside this winter. Maybe I should switch back...

There were plenty of mod guys and I'll be back in mod next time out so I hope the class stays rolling. I ran 10.5 this time because I didn't see anyone committing to mod but it turned out to be the bigger class. I hope mod is epic this year at Leisure Hours.
__________________
www.teamgravityrc.com
Leisure Hours Raceway
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2216
Company Representative
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,679
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Paul is your contact info still the same?

Korgae..
__________________
WCICS- Competition Director
Korgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #2217
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgae View Post
Paul is your contact info still the same?

Korgae..
Hi Korgae. yes my info is still the same but my phone met its match with a swimming pool two days ago so i am unreachable until i get a phone. prolly today.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #2218
Tech Regular
 
Bcholka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 476
Default

Hi Paul,
One more quick question on the XB4. I see lots of people on the XB4 thread recommending weight be put under the batteries to help with rear traction. Do you run any weight under there? Thanks again!
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #2219
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
Hi Paul,
One more quick question on the XB4. I see lots of people on the XB4 thread recommending weight be put under the batteries to help with rear traction. Do you run any weight under there? Thanks again!

No Problem. I dont but i have not tested it yet. if you try it let us know .

Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2220
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Ill be back to catch up on here next Tuesday after the reedy race.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) Paul L Electric On-Road 1384 12-18-2009 08:06 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:08 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net