R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #2101
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 341
Default

Congrats on newborn, boy or girl wishes all of you a healty life

Ed
eded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #2102
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Hi Paul, I have a maintenance question on the touring cars on carpet.
I`ve been in this hobby a long time and have been content to change tires (sorex) every 5 race weekends and clean the car and check tweak but not much more as I have a relatively tight budget. However, every time there is a big race and I slap on a new set of tires I gain 1 to 1.5 laps from where I was and though I`ve caught up to the people I used to be as fast as when my car was new, I still feel the car is slower than when I bought it new. I started to change shock oil and diff oil every race weekend because it cost very little and it seems to help a little too, but I still need more speed. Is there anything reasonable I can change on the car like a 10 dollar set of lower arms or a cvd rebuild kit to replace pins or anything like that that makes a big difference in lap time compared to when they are new?
I feel itís time for me to learn to be competitive but buying a bunch of things I donít know will change anything is a bit much. Any hints as to what I should focus on to keep the car like-new?
Thx very much,
Steve
EvetsFidrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #2103
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

HI Everyone. Trying to get back to work a bit. Everyone is home and healthy with a new baby girl Maylie.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Paul, long time no talk. My question really has nothing to do with a set up or car related it has to do with mind control. When racing what exactly do you concentrate on? I start off strictly focusing on getting a few good laps with no bumps super clean and smooth, then usually about 6-10 laps i'm very comfortable and I'll turn my fastest lap, then I start thinking more about what the car is doing, and the longer I race the more I get to thinking about other things and find myself trying to re focus on just driving to the next corner but it seems like after 3 minutes I'm just mentally spent. I'm sure that years of racing every weekend and testing all day will overcome most of this, but I don't race full time. I just do it for the fun, and I haven't ever asked anyone who races full time exactly what they think about while they are racing!
Hi. I dont really think about much while driving to be honest, In a nitro final just a bit of strategy. The only thing that i do before a race is take smooth deep breaths and focus my eyes hard on my car for 5-10 seconds before the tone. i think if you start out super focused maybe it will carry on threw the whole race. I feel like when i am in a really focus it is not super mentally exhausting, even for a 1 hour nitro final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson View Post
recommendations for a thunderpower 10.5, FDR? can timing? esc timing and turbo timing

thanks
Hi Nathan. The 8.0 which Skiddens suggested would be with maximum speedo timing. I woulkd start trying something closer to a 7.0 overall and ease on to the speedo timing. Motor timing at 35 sounds good to me, and as he said definitely run a fan on the motor. let us know where you end up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doyel View Post
Thanks Paul, this is very encouraging. That's about exactly were I am. I was 3 tenths faster than blinky last weekend. Still about a second off the pace from the rest of the mod class, but that's ok. Honestly, I got off of the driver's stand with a huge smile on my face. Even though I placed last every round, mod is such a kick to drive!
Thats Great to hear!! Good luck


Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigX View Post
I'd say some slack(and Congrats)are in order, as of Monday, I'm sure his hands have been full of the new little bundle of joy
Thanks for having my back Craig, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Absolutely. I just caught the good news on his FB page. Congrats Paul and Alise!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp67 View Post
And the sleepless nights start again. Congratulations and hope all is well.

Steve P.
All is well, lots of work but it is nice to have a baby in the house again.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am cornholio View Post
Pauly..hey do you have a good setup for t4 for low to med bite asphalt..sprayed with soda
Hi Cornholio, lol. The last time that i ran asphalt i ran a carpet set up from the Cleveland indoor champs, i thought it worked well. if you do try it i would also try it with 2.5million CST in the front diff as well.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...ID=64&setup=t4

Otherwise i looked in to some other set ups and i thought that this one looked like it could be worth a try.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&ID=9&setup=t4

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post
Congrats Paul.

-Alex
Thanks Alex!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
Congrats on newborn, also to Chase for moving out of rookie, he's a chip off the block as they say
Thanks!, Ill try and keep chase from peeling you next time, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
You running the Reedy this year? I'm coming out of sedan retirement just for this race :-)
Nice!, I will be their. will be fun to have you back!



Quote:
Originally Posted by eded1 View Post
Congrats on newborn, boy or girl wishes all of you a healty life

Ed
Thanks Ed! She is doing well. Ill do all i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvetsFidrat View Post
Hi Paul, I have a maintenance question on the touring cars on carpet.
I`ve been in this hobby a long time and have been content to change tires (sorex) every 5 race weekends and clean the car and check tweak but not much more as I have a relatively tight budget. However, every time there is a big race and I slap on a new set of tires I gain 1 to 1.5 laps from where I was and though I`ve caught up to the people I used to be as fast as when my car was new, I still feel the car is slower than when I bought it new. I started to change shock oil and diff oil every race weekend because it cost very little and it seems to help a little too, but I still need more speed. Is there anything reasonable I can change on the car like a 10 dollar set of lower arms or a cvd rebuild kit to replace pins or anything like that that makes a big difference in lap time compared to when they are new?
I feel itís time for me to learn to be competitive but buying a bunch of things I donít know will change anything is a bit much. Any hints as to what I should focus on to keep the car like-new?
Thx very much,
Steve
Hi Steve. Great question but also a difficult one for sure. I have had cars that i thought got better after a few weeks on them and ones that i feel have gotten worse. you are on to the obvious things like shocks, tewak, diff oils, proper drive shaft maintenance etc. I think that material can brake in over a few weeks of running, chassis and top decks mainly, I also think that small tweaks can happen that we dont even notice, also obvious slop in steering, suspension etc.
I dont have a answer but i can tell you this. I get totally convinced 2 or three times a year that i need a new chassis, or need new drive shafts or new diffs, so i will do it. maybe once every two years it magically helps me. Whenever i feel something is off, it is really hard to identify, so you are right about not just spending a ton of money on stuff that is not likely to help. Maybe try all new ball cups, to me it has the same chance if helping you as a much more pricey item. still not likely to make a huge difference though.
But also, definitely Tires as you know. ok cars become really good when someone is throwing new tires at it all the time and setting it up accordingly.

Thanks.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #2104
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,764
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default

The Hadley RC Club says "Congratulations"! We're glad to hear everyone is well.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #2105
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi Steve. Great question but also a difficult one for sure. I have had cars that i thought got better after a few weeks on them and ones that i feel have gotten worse. you are on to the obvious things like shocks, tewak, diff oils, proper drive shaft maintenance etc. I think that material can brake in over a few weeks of running, chassis and top decks mainly, I also think that small tweaks can happen that we dont even notice, also obvious slop in steering, suspension etc.
I dont have a answer but i can tell you this. I get totally convinced 2 or three times a year that i need a new chassis, or need new drive shafts or new diffs, so i will do it. maybe once every two years it magically helps me. Whenever i feel something is off, it is really hard to identify, so you are right about not just spending a ton of money on stuff that is not likely to help. Maybe try all new ball cups, to me it has the same chance if helping you as a much more pricey item. still not likely to make a huge difference though.
But also, definitely Tires as you know. ok cars become really good when someone is throwing new tires at it all the time and setting it up accordingly.

Thanks.
Thx. I'll try and use my gut instincts more and see if I can change cheap things one at a time and see if it helps. Perhaps even a new belt might help.
See you around Paul.
EvetsFidrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #2106
Tech Master
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,946
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Sifu,

I guess I'm late to the party.... was just checking nats coverage today to watch you enroute to your 8th ? plus national championship when I learned you are home with your new baby girl. Congrats to you and now your two rug-rats to play with ! All the best to you and your family.

Jake D.
__________________
AWESOMATIX -- ORCA -- GRAVITY R/C -- SEATTLE R/C RACERS
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #2107
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Those shims that I sent you may not be worth it. I was just going over my car after the last race, and they were both cracked/domed up into the arm hole. Maybe we need to stack them or get some thicker ones?
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #2108
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
The Hadley RC Club says "Congratulations"! We're glad to hear everyone is well.
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvetsFidrat View Post
Thx. I'll try and use my gut instincts more and see if I can change cheap things one at a time and see if it helps. Perhaps even a new belt might help.
See you around Paul.
Thanks, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Sifu,

I guess I'm late to the party.... was just checking nats coverage today to watch you enroute to your 8th ? plus national championship when I learned you are home with your new baby girl. Congrats to you and now your two rug-rats to play with ! All the best to you and your family.

Jake D.
Hi Jake. Yea i skipped it, just didn't want to leave in the first couple weeks. all my sponsors were very supportive of it though so that was nice.
Thanks man, see ya soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
Those shims that I sent you may not be worth it. I was just going over my car after the last race, and they were both cracked/domed up into the arm hole. Maybe we need to stack them or get some thicker ones?
Cool, Thanks for the feedback, I havent tried them yet. two stacked up sounds good, maybe drill the ID out just a bit on the one closest to the pivot ball, leaving the one that the spring touches alone, that could eliminate any extra possible drag on the king pin bu having two shims but still make it plenty strong. Just a idea.


Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #2109
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

I will try drilling the inner one and let you know how that works! Hope to get some testing done with it next week!
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #2110
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,304
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Paul Congrats no ur new addition.
I've shifted gears for offroad this summer and picked up 2 xb4s loving the buggy .
U have one ur working with ? If so u mind sharing any insite on a good setup . Tks .
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #2111
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Paul,
I've been having an issue with my car and I'm not sure it's actually an issue. If I lay the chassis on droop blocks the front block isn't as snug on the right hand side as the left. The rear has equal resistance on both sides. If I run a block down the chassis there is no gap or visible light anywhere to be seen. Ride height is equal left to right front/rear so I'm thinking it is not tweaked. Keep in mind when the lack of resistance is felt the car does not have a battery in it, but otherwise is full weight. With a battery in, there is equal resistance on all four corners. The chassis is balanced left to right as long as my battery is in it. I'm thinking it all comes down to a lack of weight, but I wanted your input. Thank you! I hope to see your xb4 setup soon
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #2112
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Paul Congrats no ur new addition.
I've shifted gears for offroad this summer and picked up 2 xb4s loving the buggy .
U have one ur working with ? If so u mind sharing any insite on a good setup . Tks .
Hi, Yup i have been running the XB4 quite a bit. I am yet to run it at any other tracks yet but i feel like it is going well. the stock set up is actually really good, the only changes from it that i have found to be better for my track is thicker shock oil, 550F and 450R, 2 line progressive springs all around and having 1mm more shim under the front piston to make the front of the car have a touch less droop. I will be running at different tracks soon and should have more info soon. But i feel like i have a start on what does what tuning wise. Ill be posting set ups in the future.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
Paul,
I've been having an issue with my car and I'm not sure it's actually an issue. If I lay the chassis on droop blocks the front block isn't as snug on the right hand side as the left. The rear has equal resistance on both sides. If I run a block down the chassis there is no gap or visible light anywhere to be seen. Ride height is equal left to right front/rear so I'm thinking it is not tweaked. Keep in mind when the lack of resistance is felt the car does not have a battery in it, but otherwise is full weight. With a battery in, there is equal resistance on all four corners. The chassis is balanced left to right as long as my battery is in it. I'm thinking it all comes down to a lack of weight, but I wanted your input. Thank you! I hope to see your xb4 setup soon


Hi, if it is all good with the battery in it i wouldn't worry. i always do any checking when the car is 100% race ready just without tires and body.

Thanks!
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #2113
Tech Initiate
 
gkraios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere dreaming of Mike Pulfer!
Posts: 36
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default It's all about the mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi. I dont really think about much while driving to be honest, In a nitro final just a bit of strategy. The only thing that i do before a race is take smooth deep breaths and focus my eyes hard on my car for 5-10 seconds before the tone. i think if you start out super focused maybe it will carry on threw the whole race. I feel like when i am in a really focus it is not super mentally exhausting, even for a 1 hour nitro final.
Interesting. I generally see it like this for you:

Mouth open = Completely focused.
Mouth closed = Less focused.

On another note, please tell me you keep all of your tools, parts, etc. rolled up in a towel (hobo-style) when you leave the off-road track. I see another potential Gravity RC product in the making.

Congrats on the baby! Glad to hear all is well.
__________________
"Do I Need To Get A Fire Extinguisher?" - dfilo123 aka "Sugar Dougie"

Last edited by gkraios; 03-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.
gkraios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2114
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi, Yup i have been running the XB4 quite a bit. I am yet to run it at any other tracks yet but i feel like it is going well. the stock set up is actually really good, the only changes from it that i have found to be better for my track is thicker shock oil, 550F and 450R, 2 line progressive springs all around and having 1mm more shim under the front piston to make the front of the car have a touch less droop. I will be running at different tracks soon and should have more info soon. But i feel like i have a start on what does what tuning wise. Ill be posting set ups in the future.

Thanks





Hi, if it is all good with the battery in it i wouldn't worry. i always do any checking when the car is 100% race ready just without tires and body.

Thanks!
Thanks so much! I have not tried the progressive all around, but intend too. I'm using 3 dot front 2 stripe rear for the time being!
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #2115
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,869
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

If I should happen to make the A will you put my car down
__________________
REMEMBER THE GOOD OLE DAYS..........THEY'RE NEVER COMING BACK SO WE'RE STUCK WITH THE MESS IN FRONT OF US!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) Paul L Electric On-Road 1384 12-18-2009 08:06 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:02 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net