R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #2041
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Paul since the hudy race in MO I have changed my set up more inline with ur mod set up from what I was running there . Tho.
In MO I was running ur droop setting u put on car . When I came back to Nashville to run the car I'm thinking had too much traction and after thickening the front oil and raising rear role center mounts (high dot mounts) I had to take 50% of my droop out of car and made it less tippie and had more corner speed .
It seems that the droop change made a huge difference in turning . What is this ?
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #2042
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The only way I can get the o-ring to work right is if I put it on the opposite side of what the instructions say, so that it's kind of like a rubber band around that groove rather than sitting in the groove of the other half. And I use a new one every time. I'll give it a try without next build.

Paul, your friends are coming to Denver to race mod sedan. Check it out.
Thanks. I talked to Ficco about it. its possible i could come but ill have to see as it gets closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Paul since the hudy race in MO I have changed my set up more inline with ur mod set up from what I was running there . Tho.
In MO I was running ur droop setting u put on car . When I came back to Nashville to run the car I'm thinking had too much traction and after thickening the front oil and raising rear role center mounts (high dot mounts) I had to take 50% of my droop out of car and made it less tippie and had more corner speed .
It seems that the droop change made a huge difference in turning . What is this ?
Cool. Im not really sure but i think with thicker front oil you can run less front droop. I think with such thin oil the front end pops up so much under power and runs in to the droop screws hard and fast, then the car dives inconsistent on power, with a ton of front droop that dose not happen with thin front oil. with thicker oil that dose not happen in the first place so you can run less droop. Im not really sure how accurate this is but that is what i am beginning to think.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #2043
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The only way I can get the o-ring to work right is if I put it on the opposite side of what the instructions say, so that it's kind of like a rubber band around that groove rather than sitting in the groove of the other half. And I use a new one every time. I'll give it a try without next build.

Paul, your friends are coming to Denver to race mod sedan. Check it out.
same here use a new one every time and fit it round the opposite side.
i smear with a small amount of rubber grease or the diff oil so that it slides in nicely on assembly and does'nt catch the edges.
T2 SLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #2044
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

Somewhat quick question, I'm switching to a front gear diff from a spool on a T3 2011. My question is how will the GravityRc 1 mil cst diff fluid effect the handling of the car Vs the 2.5 Mil cst fluid?

Thanks in advance
Rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #2045
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Paul,

I've only been able to run Mod on our local carpet track, and a few of the asphalt tracks in our state. I'm bringing my 2012 to run mod at Carpet Nats. Do you have a setup you'd recommend as a starting point, or base set up? I imagine the set up I like here at Mike's wouldn't be optimal for the grip were likely to see at Nats. Best of luck this week.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #2046
Tech Rookie

hello paul. i am new to rc tech so i hope i make sense and hope you can help me out. i am amember at boronia radio controlled car club in vic australia. recently our 540 class got changed to "blinky". so i purchased a thunder power z3r brushless motor. i am driving the top photon which i am told has an internal ratio of 2.0. my gearing is set at 3.6 (which im told is optimal). the car is reasonably competitive but i would like that bit more. my question is what is the best position on the timing cap? i have it at 0 now but am not sure whether to just jump to 50 or should it be done in small steps. i am just worried about any damage i might cause. hope i made sense. thanks for your time.
simmo9872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #2047
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
Hey Paul,

Somewhat quick question, I'm switching to a front gear diff from a spool on a T3 2011. My question is how will the GravityRc 1 mil cst diff fluid effect the handling of the car Vs the 2.5 Mil cst fluid?

Thanks in advance
Hi. sorry for the delay, Im fresh back from the snowbirds. The 1million should have the most rotation in the center of the corner, the 2.5million should have slightly less rotation in the center but be a touch easier to drive.

Thanks

Gotta run, Ill get to the other questions soon.

Thanks!!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #2048
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Paul congrats on re-signing with Xray. Are you coming to the Region 5 race then? As well as gonna run the Chi-Town Shootout with the XB4? Hope to see again soon with your new toy from Snowbirds.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #2049
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
Hey Paul,

Thanks in advance
Thanks Paul!!! You are the BEST!!!
Rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #2050
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Paul.
Saw a pic of your X12 at the Snowbirds.

It had the steering links front of the Xray servosaver. What is the benifit doing this?

Saw also some pics of Xray X12 cars with different electrics layout & different shock mount and motor upper plate than the current car. Can you tell something about that?
Destiny&V-Dezign 1:12- Sanwa M12s - Xray XB4 2016 - Xray XB2 DE - HW XR10Pro & Team Orion R10.1 Pro & Sanwa Super Vortex Zero Gen2- Team Orion Vortex & Muchmore & Reedy BL motors - Sanwa & Highest & Sav÷x servos
Peakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #2051
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Paul,

I've only been able to run Mod on our local carpet track, and a few of the asphalt tracks in our state. I'm bringing my 2012 to run mod at Carpet Nats. Do you have a setup you'd recommend as a starting point, or base set up? I imagine the set up I like here at Mike's wouldn't be optimal for the grip were likely to see at Nats. Best of luck this week.
To me the best set up was Andrew hardmans Snowbirds set up. I will plan to begin with that at the carpet nats. Im sure if it is not posted it will be soon. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo9872 View Post
hello paul. i am new to rc tech so i hope i make sense and hope you can help me out. i am amember at boronia radio controlled car club in vic australia. recently our 540 class got changed to "blinky". so i purchased a thunder power z3r brushless motor. i am driving the top photon which i am told has an internal ratio of 2.0. my gearing is set at 3.6 (which im told is optimal). the car is reasonably competitive but i would like that bit more. my question is what is the best position on the timing cap? i have it at 0 now but am not sure whether to just jump to 50 or should it be done in small steps. i am just worried about any damage i might cause. hope i made sense. thanks for your time.
Hi Simo. Sorry for the delay in my response. Your gearing sounds pretty close to me also. I would recommend going right to 30deg on the timing setting. I would never run less than 25deg. 30-40 is likely where you will end up. Just keep an eye on the temp, after 5 min the motor should be around 80deg C. warmer than 85deg and you could have trouble.

Hope that helps. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Paul congrats on re-signing with Xray. Are you coming to the Region 5 race then? As well as gonna run the Chi-Town Shootout with the XB4? Hope to see again soon with your new toy from Snowbirds.
Hi Nolan, I would like to do those races but i will not be able to make it to either of them. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakki View Post
Hi Paul.
Saw a pic of your X12 at the Snowbirds.

It had the steering links front of the Xray servosaver. What is the benifit doing this?

Saw also some pics of Xray X12 cars with different electrics layout & different shock mount and motor upper plate than the current car. Can you tell something about that?
Hi Peakki. Having the steering links like that seems to give me a bit more steering in the corner. The other layout which you saw I think was made by Eric Anderson. Alex and i ran the standard stuff.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #2052
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff

Paulie...

2 things...

#1. Ficco wants a rematch in the cheese curl contest. We'll have an official bag ready for you 2 at the Nats.

#2. Where's the fist!?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #2053
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
Paulie...

2 things...

#1. Ficco wants a rematch in the cheese curl contest. We'll have an official bag ready for you 2 at the Nats.

#2. Where's the fist!?
1. Paul had a large fist shaped object to practice with but...

2. Alex smuggled it out of the country!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #2054
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Last edited by mracer; 02-06-2013 at 09:09 PM.
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #2055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I wasn't sure if you saw I would be running a T3'12. Were you suggesting that I use Hardman's set up from last years Birds, or is there another '12 setup you start with?
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote