R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #2026
Tech Master
 
samnelso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fitchburg, MA
Posts: 1,751
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Paul, I've been toying with mod TC over the last few days and find it quite a challenge and large step up from 17.5, and even 13.5. It's shockingly fast and I have a renewed respect for those of you on the pro level that manage to run their mod cars fast and consistent on a regular basis.

Over the last few days I was finally able to best my 17.5 hot lap time, but am still a ways away from my 13.5 times (~8.2s/lap). My question is: when did you start running mod relative to stock? Did you leap into it or was it a progression? I find that my driving skill is generally on an upward trajectory, but it is not a constant slope, as there are seemingly large spans of no growth followed by short bursts. I am wondering if this is a common phenomenon. Do you have a public racing resume or driver's profile available somewhere? If so, I'd like to check it out.

thx, Sam
__________________
Team Associated | Reedy | Airtronics

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #2027
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropy View Post
Paul - You are my everything...............And good luck at the Birds!!!!
LOL, thanks Kropy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Paul, I've been toying with mod TC over the last few days and find it quite a challenge and large step up from 17.5, and even 13.5. It's shockingly fast and I have a renewed respect for those of you on the pro level that manage to run their mod cars fast and consistent on a regular basis.

Over the last few days I was finally able to best my 17.5 hot lap time, but am still a ways away from my 13.5 times (~8.2s/lap). My question is: when did you start running mod relative to stock? Did you leap into it or was it a progression? I find that my driving skill is generally on an upward trajectory, but it is not a constant slope, as there are seemingly large spans of no growth followed by short bursts. I am wondering if this is a common phenomenon. Do you have a public racing resume or driver's profile available somewhere? If so, I'd like to check it out.

thx, Sam
Hi Sam. When i started running TC i jumped right in to mod, but mod back then was a 14turn brushed motor (maybe same speed as 17.5 blinky now), so over the years i have just adapted to the higher and higher speeds of mod without any real notice. Its good that you can now go faster than with 17.5 though, Its harder than people think to go any faster at all. Threw out my racing my ability has definitely been a more instant progression followed by a plain for a while. if you practice all the time you will likely wake up one day and just be faster and you will have no idea how or why.

Nobody really keeps records of drivers, would be kinda cool though.

Thanks! Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #2028
Tech Regular
 
spammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 460
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I got a thunder power motor question in 1/12 scale 17.5 stock what gearing to run tires is 42.0mm on 98x40 carpet and it has stock rotor and what gearing would it be with the blue rotor
And what gearing for the touring car.
spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #2029
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammy View Post
I got a thunder power motor question in 1/12 scale 17.5 stock what gearing to run tires is 42.0mm on 98x40 carpet and it has stock rotor and what gearing would it be with the blue rotor
And what gearing for the touring car.

Hi. this is all for blinky 17.5. for TC i would go with 30-35deg timing and start with a 3.7 overall ratio. for 12th scale i would also go blue rotor with 30deg timing and gear at a 89mm roll out. with a 42mm tire size that would be roughly a 70 spur with a 47 pinion.

Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #2030
Tech Master
 
rosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,065
Default

Paul on a carpet track what are some similarities between the t4 and t3 2012 and differences.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #2031
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
Paul on a carpet track what are some similarities between the t4 and t3 2012 and differences.
Hi Rosko, its really hard to say because with the new car has come such different set ups. I have no idea how my 12 car would drive with a set up like we run on the T4. I feel like the T4 is definitely faster but i guess i have no good specific answer for you.

Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #2032
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,716
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hi Paul, I'm starting to run mod on carpet. Just wanted to know if you run boost setting on your speedo when running mod carpet and if you do anything on the speedo settings or gear a particular way so that it's more managable in the infield?
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #2033
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Hi Paul, I'm starting to run mod on carpet. Just wanted to know if you run boost setting on your speedo when running mod carpet and if you do anything on the speedo settings or gear a particular way so that it's more managable in the infield?
Nothing special on speedo for carpet, if i run a 4.5 i will run a touch of boost, with a 4.0 i use no boost. with both motors i would gear around 8.3 overall ratio. the only other thing is that i do like to run drag brake, I normally run around 15% with that gear and the Thunderpower strong magnet that comes in the motor.

Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #2034
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,716
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Nothing special on speedo for carpet, if i run a 4.5 i will run a touch of boost, with a 4.0 i use no boost. with both motors i would gear around 8.3 overall ratio. the only other thing is that i do like to run drag brake, I normally run around 15% with that gear and the Thunderpower strong magnet that comes in the motor.

Thanks

Thanks Paul, always appreciate the help and that's the main reason I purchased TP Motors and Batts for mod!
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #2035
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 133
Default

Hi Paul,

I have ordered 2,500,000 GRC to try out in the front diff but I believe it won't be here before my race Sunday. I was wondering how do you fill the diff with putty, like how much do I need to put inside the diff and if you do it by weight or just by feel.

Thanks!
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #2036
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Thanks Paul, always appreciate the help and that's the main reason I purchased TP Motors and Batts for mod!
Great, Thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenteer View Post
Hi Paul,

I have ordered 2,500,000 GRC to try out in the front diff but I believe it won't be here before my race Sunday. I was wondering how do you fill the diff with putty, like how much do I need to put inside the diff and if you do it by weight or just by feel.

Thanks!
First make sure the diff is iether brand new or taken completely back apart and cleaned as well as possible. then re assemble the key peces. after putting in the larger gear at the bottom of the diff case i then transfer about 10mms of silicone into the syringe then to the diff case, then i use the plunger from the syringe to tamp it down to make sure no air is under the silicone. Then i put the small spider gears in and push them threw the silicone. again i tamp any silicone down or add a bit more if necessary. when i put the top of the diff on a little of the silicone will bleed out the screw holes. tighten it down and your good. BTW do not ever use the very thin large o ring to seal the diff, throw that away and only use the Gasket, that goes for any fluid, thin or thick.

Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #2037
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,765
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Great, Thanks for the support!



First make sure the diff is iether brand new or taken completely back apart and cleaned as well as possible. then re assemble the key peces. after putting in the larger gear at the bottom of the diff case i then transfer about 10mms of silicone into the syringe then to the diff case, then i use the plunger from the syringe to tamp it down to make sure no air is under the silicone. Then i put the small spider gears in and push them threw the silicone. again i tamp any silicone down or add a bit more if necessary. when i put the top of the diff on a little of the silicone will bleed out the screw holes. tighten it down and your good. BTW do not ever use the very thin large o ring to seal the diff, throw that away and only use the Gasket, that goes for any fluid, thin or thick.

Thanks
Just for clarity, are you saying don't use the thin o-ring by itself to seal, or don't use it even in addition to the paper seal? i've always used a new o-ring every time I open the diff and haven't noticed any problems, but I am curious to hear why not to ever use the o-ring. Would you mind sharing?
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #2038
Tech Regular
 
Adam B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Detroit, Mi
Posts: 411
Default

Very rarely the o-ring stays seated properly. It can cause the diff to not seal right, or be properly tightened possibly causing the diff to not operate smoothly. It has been found that the paper gasket seals well enough. If you have no problems with the o-ring, it does not hurt to use, but just not a must.
__________________
Franchise Racing Products * Fantom Racing * Pro One R/C Tires * RC America/Xray * Discount R/C Store * F1 R/C Lab * NORCAR @ The Gate
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #2039
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Yup, what Adam said
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #2040
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,082
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

The only way I can get the o-ring to work right is if I put it on the opposite side of what the instructions say, so that it's kind of like a rubber band around that groove rather than sitting in the groove of the other half. And I use a new one every time. I'll give it a try without next build.

Paul, your friends are coming to Denver to race mod sedan. Check it out.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) Paul L Electric On-Road 1384 12-18-2009 08:06 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:56 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net