Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi, I have not tested the 13.5 in a 12th scale. But if i were i would start with the (Med) Blue rotor and see how it runs.
If anyone has better experience with this, feel free to jump in.

Thanks
Originally Posted by Csaari77
I'm looking for advice on rotor selection for a 13.5 TP that will be used in a 1/12. Our track is on the small side, but the layouts are usually pretty fast and flowing.
If its for 13.5 blinky 12th scale it seems that most motors like around 40 degrees of timing and 3.50 rollout to start with. Its a good base line mark to shoot for.

EA
Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

Do you ever find that changing your lower roll center effects your choice of sway bar? IE Raising the lrc you go to a lighter sway bar and vice versa.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
If its for 13.5 blinky 12th scale it seems that most motors like around 40 degrees of timing and 3.50 rollout to start with. Its a good base line mark to shoot for.

EA
Thanks EA.

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hi Paul,

Do you ever find that changing your lower roll center effects your choice of sway bar? IE Raising the lrc you go to a lighter sway bar and vice versa.

Thanks
Hi. Not really, it does make sense, i just haven't tuned like that . sometimes i will do that with springs though, say a 2.6 with high front roll center, 2.8 with med front roll center.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Paul,

Thanks for all the help and advice over the years. I've been running mod and having a blast lately, and wanted to say thanks. Good luck at IIC.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Will Xray be releasing a new X13 as well or will the X12 stay their current model?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run 17.5 and am struggling to keep up with our leader. While I will admit he is a slightly better driver than I am, I feel my car is holding me back a bit.

I have a pretty good setup and can post details if needed.

Where I am seeing trouble is a loose rear end on power. The leader can slam the gas out of every corner sooner and keep on the throttle much longer than I can into the sweeper at the end of the straight.

If I gas it out of the corner my car breaks the rear loose about mid corner. Same thing going into the sweeper at the end of the straight.

I am running the longerst wheel base and have a wider front width than the rear. Stiffer dampening up front than rear.

I was thinking of switching to the 2mm chasis to get me a bit more traction but I am unsure if that is the problem or solution.

I am running on carpet, not ozite, but a commercial low nap carpet you would find in an office. I have no basis for traction comparison but I have been told it is high grip. I do know it is higher grip than ozite as a local club uses that and i have been told there is much more grip here than at the club.

It is a very small track, 25x60? I am looking to be able to slam the gas right out of the last turn and hold it through the next turn if possible for a bit longer.

My head says need more rear traction but I am not sure that is the case. Everything I have read so far says high traction needs a stiff chasis which says to me you are tuning in less traction.

So what is happening in my car to break it loose, will a flexi chasis aide in me staying on power longer/sooner?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mera'din
I run 17.5 and am struggling to keep up with our leader. While I will admit he is a slightly better driver than I am, I feel my car is holding me back a bit.

Where I am seeing trouble is a loose rear end on power. The leader can slam the gas out of every corner sooner and keep on the throttle much longer than I can into the sweeper at the end of the straight.

If I gas it out of the corner my car breaks the rear loose about mid corner. Same thing going into the sweeper at the end of the straight.

I am running the longerst wheel base and have a wider front width than the rear. Stiffer dampening up front than rear.

I was thinking of switching to the 2mm chasis to get me a bit more traction but I am unsure if that is the problem or solution.

I am running on carpet, not ozite, but a commercial low nap carpet you would find in an office. I have no basis for traction comparison but I have been told it is high grip. I do know it is higher grip than ozite as a local club uses that and i have been told there is much more grip here than at the club.

It is a very small track, 25x60? I am looking to be able to slam the gas right out of the last turn and hold it through the next turn if possible for a bit longer.

My head says need more rear traction but I am not sure that is the case. Everything I have read so far says high traction needs a stiff chasis which says to me you are tuning in less traction.

So what is happening in my car to break it loose, will a flexi chasis aide in me staying on power longer/sooner?
We ideally need to see your setup.

Also do you have any video/photo's of the track so we can see the corners you mean?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Paul,

Thanks for all the help and advice over the years. I've been running mod and having a blast lately, and wanted to say thanks. Good luck at IIC.
Thanks Andrew!!.

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Will Xray be releasing a new X13 as well or will the X12 stay their current model?
I have not heard anything about a X13 as of now.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Mera'din

Hi. I kinda doubt that your problem is chassis related.
A set up would be nice to see if you can provide one. To me it sounds like you need more rear traction so you can drive the car harder, here are a couple of things to try. all of these will give you less steering but should allow you to drive the car harder without it getting loose.

Softer front sway bar: normally allows me to drive the car with more consistency.
Shorter front wheelbase: seems to give more on throttle rear grip.
less front camber: easier to drive.
looser rear belt: more on throttle rear grip.
tighter front belt: more on throttle rear grip.
heavy front bumper (Xray hard foam): allows you to drive the car harder.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

heavy front bumper (Xray hard foam): allows you to drive the car harder.
I need one of those for my Schui.

-Mike
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default T3 2012

Paul

What would you adjust on your car if you needed it to turn in more? I seem like I have to wait for the car to turn after the long sweeper allowing others to drive under me! Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by haywood
Paul

What would you adjust on your car if you needed it to turn in more? I seem like I have to wait for the car to turn after the long sweeper allowing others to drive under me! Thanks
The biggest difference for high speed steering may be your wing, i would try moving it forward a touch for starters. Also you could try a narrower front hex (this could help initial turn in but not make the car hard to drive center out. other than that, take a little camber out of the rear.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Gravity RC

Im off to a wedding then to Vegas for the IIC so i will be out for a while. Ill catch up when i get back.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

Im off to a wedding then to Vegas for the IIC so i will be out for a while. Ill catch up when i get back.

Thanks
Good luck Paulie! Keep Skewes in line!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Good Luck, Paul!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Paul, It's Adrian from back in the day...lol!

I am starting racing again and I have a T3 2011. I was wondering why most of the setup for the T3's run heavy oil and sometime one hole pistons? All the sedans are so similar now and everyone else runs light oil and 3 hole pistons. Springs seem to be similar between Xray and everyone else.

Do the shocks have a lot of blow by, or are the piston holes big? Just trying to understand.

Good luck at the IIC, always pulling for you bro!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.